Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passport Question  (Read 10538 times)

Zestence

Passport Question
« on: 17.06.2015, 01:12:35 »

I can think of no reason why they would reject a document that has not yet expired. Even if it is just a few days from expiring.

It is quite common actually. Some countries do require for your passport to be valid up to several months longer than your planned stay. Simply in case of any accidents/jail time and such that might prevent you from leaving the country in time so you don't get stuck without valid travel documents. Not really a problem in Europe, but it is a thing.

Fineas

• ConOps
Re: Passport Question
« Reply #1 on: 17.06.2015, 09:56:42 »

Some countries do require for your passport to be valid up to several months longer than your planned stay. Simply in case of any accidents/jail time and such that might prevent you from leaving the country in time so you don't get stuck without valid travel documents. Not really a problem in Europe, but it is a thing.

Hmm, I can imagin, but sounds like a dick move to me.
"Oh we won't let you in to your own country only because your passport is no longer valid because of an involuntary extended stay."

The whole thing won't really hold up if you would be sentenced away for 15 years... because that would mean you should be allowed to extend your passport (or which ever) so you can actually go back to your country.

Here this looks like a plausible solution that any country (in this case Poland) would implement:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/expired-lost-passports/poland/index_en.htm

However, if you have Polish nationality and you travel with an expired passport you will not necessarily be refused (re)entry to Poland as long as you can provide valid proof of your identity and nationality. In this situation, your expired passport will be taken away from you at the border and you will need to apply for a new one before being able to leave the country again.

So in lay mans terms. You can always RETURN to your own country, even if with some hassle (I can imagine).

Zestence

« Reply #2 on: 17.06.2015, 15:04:09 »

So in lay mans terms. You can always RETURN to your own country, even if with some hassle (I can imagine).

Well yeah, of course. It might be really difficult and expensive though. Not to mention trouble with potentially corrupt local authorities. There are a lot of horror stories about tourists who lost their passports (or had them stolen/confiscated) in a country with not-so-honest police and legal system and possibly no embassies/consulates capable of arranging necessary documents quickly enough.

It's really better to be safe than sorry with travel documents, especially in more remote destinations.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #3 on: 17.06.2015, 15:15:48 »

Sorry, but are you arguing that it is a problem you might have a 'nearly' expired passport when you want to return to a 'potentially' corrupt country?

I imagine you have other priorities then go to EF, but then I'm not here to judge.
If it comes to that I don't think it really matters. If you have the wrong haircut or lost 10kg and look slimmer in the face could be a potential tick off so...

I was under the impression we are talking about regulations, under 'normal' every day use circumstances.
So before we go any more off topic. I think it is very safe to say that at least with European countries you will be safe as you are free to travel anywhere as long as you have an ID (doesn't have to be a passport).

For everything else, call your airline or embassy to check that out, in the knowledge that in a very large part of the western world it will be no problem at all.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #4 on: 17.06.2015, 15:49:05 »

Moderator's note: this thread was split off from https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,6235.0.html
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #5 on: 17.06.2015, 16:16:04 »

Moderator's note: this thread was split off from https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,6235.0.html

Understandable and I agree. This was not longer in the same spirit at as the question "I live in the UK and I have a passport that will expire, can I safely use it to come to EF".

Zestence

« Reply #6 on: 17.06.2015, 22:59:29 »

Sorry, but are you arguing that it is a problem you might have a 'nearly' expired passport when you want to return to a 'potentially' corrupt country?

No. FROM a potentially corrupt country. Since you said "You can always RETURN to your own country". That is true, but in some countries it can be a real pain and potentially incredibly expensive, so it's better to make sure your papers are good for a bit longer than your exact return date. That's all I was replying to.

I think it is very safe to say that at least with European countries you will be safe as you are free to travel anywhere as long as you have an ID (doesn't have to be a passport).

Yeah, within the schengen area you'll probably be fine with a driver's licence, at least if you stick to ferries and trains. Airlines might be a bit more picky with ID, but any government issue photo ID is most likely enough.

Sorry if I went a bit off-topic, I didn't mean to start a debate. I just wanted to point out why such restrictions exist in some countries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up