The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berlin Taxi Drivers  (Read 2068 times)

SqueekyMoonkin

Berlin Taxi Drivers
« on: 10.07.2015, 20:24:58 »

How are the taxi drivers out there? Are they as crazy as the ones in the states?

I'm not sure if I am keen handling luggage and an action packer on bus lines as described on the Cons website. Also being as cars tend to be smaller in Europe, whats the typical car type for taxis out there? Are there larger ones or vans?

Jorinda

• Press Relations
Re: Berlin Taxi Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 10.07.2015, 21:31:13 »

How are the taxi drivers out there? Are they as crazy as the ones in the states?
Well, they say if the psychiatric wards are full, they start giving out taxi licenses instead  ::)
Nah, apart from such jokes, I haven't had any negative experiences so far. Some divers are nice, some are grumpy. Not all speak english, though.

Also being as cars tend to be smaller in Europe, whats the typical car type for taxis out there? Are there larger ones or vans?
There are different sizes. I think you will not have problems to find one that is big enough for all your luggage.

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
« Reply #2 on: 11.07.2015, 08:43:31 »

Are they all taking credit cards by now? Last time I took a cab here in Germany (not in Berlin, though) they only took cash.

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
  • Not an actual Ancient Egyptian deity
« Reply #3 on: 11.07.2015, 10:48:24 »

Broadly speaking, Berlin taxi drivers are as rude as in any other large city in the world, and they drive as badly as everyone else in Berlin. Which means you're pretty much screwed. 8)

It's not mandatory to take credit cards, but a lot of them do.
The official taxi tariff can be seen here - http://www.berlin.de/en/public-transportation/1756978-2913840-taxi-phone-numbers-fares-rules.en.html

Important things to consider:

• Do NOT enter any vehicle that does not have a yellow "TAXI" sign on the roof and a vehicle number in the back window.
  • Licensed taxis are traditionally cream coloured, but they don't have to be.
  • Taxis that can be flagged down at SXF airport do NOT run under Berlin regulations, since SXF is not inside Berlin state borders, so their fares are different. To add to confusion, that does not apply for trips to SXF.
  • There is a small surcharge for departures from TXL and for heavy luggage.
  • Private minicab hires are highly uncommon in Germany. It is illegal to offer UberPOP rides, so don't use Uber as the driver won't be insured.
« Last Edit: 11.07.2015, 13:39:07 by doco »
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #4 on: 11.07.2015, 10:52:38 »

It is now mandatory for taxi drivers in Berlin to take cards, however for the time being I'd recommend to ask first before boarding the car.

*purrrr*
Pages: [1]   Go Up