Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PPS Replacement Event?  (Read 15139 times)

Ralphie Raccoon

PPS Replacement Event?
« on: 13.01.2015, 13:12:25 »

As I'm sure we've all heard by now there will be no PPS at EF this year. Currently the plan according to Cheetah is to have a short closing ceremony and start the dance early, but he has said he is open to the idea of an alternative stage event if people are interested. Obviously it can't be something too ambitious, as Cheetah said himself he's under a lot of pressure to make sure the BBD starts on time, so we can't have anything that is at significant risk of over-running.

So, any suggestions for an alternative event? Or do you think that we should stick with the current plan?

Akulatraxas

• Programming
Re: PPS Replacement Event?
« Reply #1 on: 13.01.2015, 22:26:03 »

What "current" plan? :)
Of course: Everybody is invited to come up with own ideas or even plan their own "show" of any kind :) . We have a Stage and we have time to present something on this stage. Actually we do even have more total available time than last year because of more space for dances.

Ralphie Raccoon

« Reply #2 on: 14.01.2015, 13:10:08 »

Reshi

« Reply #3 on: 14.01.2015, 18:20:51 »

I was thinking that I'd love to see a floor wars type freestyle contest at EF, since I'm pretty sure there won't be dance offs at the dance competition anymore since there are so many attending fursuiters. And the floor wars could have out-of-suit and in-suit divisions. But I don't know if there would be enough people to attend for the floor wars.

I'd love to organize something like this but I don't think I'm suitable for it this time. :b

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #4 on: 21.01.2015, 22:59:39 »

The return of STAGE FEVER?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOoYH_V2fOQ  #p
« Last Edit: 21.01.2015, 23:03:12 by Quincy the Raccoon (CoonArt) »
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #5 on: 22.01.2015, 17:37:07 »

I'm still waiting for a Hevisaurus concert :>
There can't be a better event to bring them to germany :D

Ralphie Raccoon

« Reply #6 on: 30.01.2015, 23:06:36 »

I'm still waiting for a Hevisaurus concert :>
There can't be a better event to bring them to germany :D

Even better, make them the GoH!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 02.02.2015, 16:31:57 »

Even better, make them the GoH!

Sorry to be the spoilsport, but these are professional musicians working in the industry. That means, there is no way they'd even think about attending or even performing unless we pay them appropriately for every-single-hour they are supposed to spend here - especially when you want them on a weekend where any or all of them are usually earning their living doing gigs with their individual projects.

"Guest oh Honor" is not a magic formular you can just recite and it makes industry professionals for you for free :) If you want a guest to attend, you'll have to offer them something that they get out of the deal, too, otherwise it's not gonna work.
yours,

Cheetah

Ralphie Raccoon

« Reply #8 on: 02.02.2015, 20:23:03 »

Sorry to be the spoilsport, but these are professional musicians working in the industry. That means, there is no way they'd even think about attending or even performing unless we pay them appropriately for every-single-hour they are supposed to spend here - especially when you want them on a weekend where any or all of them are usually earning their living doing gigs with their individual projects.

"Guest oh Honor" is not a magic formular you can just recite and it makes industry professionals for you for free :) If you want a guest to attend, you'll have to offer them something that they get out of the deal, too, otherwise it's not gonna work.

You make a fair point, but I would like to point out that EF has successfully had industry professionals as the GoH in the past, like Mr. Jim Martin, and the puppeteers from Mongrels.

And we aren't exactly talking about Lordi here. Hevisaurus are not that famous, probably less so internationally than Jim Martin or the Mongrels crew. Even if we did have to pay, the going rate would probably not be that high, it might even be possible to make it from selling tickets at a modest price, as has been done before at EF for certain events.

Personally I think it is worth consideration, especially as it kills two birds with one stone, you get a great set of GoH and a big event to plug the PPS hole in one. Yeah, maybe you are right, they'll be too expensive or unavailable, but perhaps it's worth a try?  :)

VulpesRex

« Reply #9 on: 03.02.2015, 05:40:06 »

Pardon, but I feel a bit out of the loop, here.

What is a "Hevisaurus", and why would I wish to see them?
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 03.02.2015, 10:45:32 »

What is a "Hevisaurus", and why would I wish to see them?

It's a finnish heavy metal band for children made up from various members of several "adult" bands. They're all anthropomoprhic dinosaurs, and they perform in suit. We're currently not considering them, but they were a convenient opportunity to explain why it's too expensive to book certain kinds of talent.
yours,

Cheetah

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 03.02.2015, 11:00:57 »

You make a fair point, but I would like to point out that EF has successfully had industry professionals as the GoH in the past, like Mr. Jim Martin, and the puppeteers from Mongrels.

The point is not that they are professionals. The point is that you can't invite a professional musician as a guest, and then expect them to perform for free, because you made them the "GoH" :)

Just like we can't invite a baker and expcect free cake for everyone. Sure, you can invite him to honour his work, and if he's passionate, maybe he'll do some panels about making cake and the future of bakery in a digitized society. And if you're a fan, maybe he'll sign your cookies! But the thing you won't get is free cake, cause he's a baker, and his work ain't free.

(Unless of course, for some rason, he's got some personal motivation to support the con, then it's basically a gift. But definitely not something you can expect or even ask for.)

If I call Sony Music Live (the booking agency they're under) and ask them if their artists will play at our event for free, they will laugh at me and hang up.

yours,

Cheetah

Ralphie Raccoon

« Reply #12 on: 03.02.2015, 12:19:53 »

The point is not that they are professionals. The point is that you can't invite a professional musician as a guest, and then expect them to perform for free, because you made them the "GoH" :)

I did actually suggest that even if they weren't free, you could sell tickets. It's been done before, at many conventions, furry and non-furry.

UppCon in Sweden has had quite a few professional bands, and up until recently their attendance wasn't much bigger than EF. So it is possible.

But anyway, it is clear that you are not at all interested, so I won't pursue it any further. :)

So, any other ideas, personally maybe something that isn't 100% dance related? (IMO, EF has enough dances as it is, it's a furry convention not a furry discotheque!) :P

EDIT: Hey, does anyone know whatever happened to that furry musical? Can't quite remember what it was called... could have that!
« Last Edit: 05.02.2015, 23:15:03 by Ralphie Raccoon »

Blaster-Hedgie

« Reply #13 on: 05.07.2015, 01:25:18 »

There's always a possibility of a jam event like the brief musical freestyle that occurred last EF on the final night.

Ralphie Raccoon

« Reply #14 on: 01.08.2015, 13:50:32 »

Well, it looks like you got the Swiss team in to do a PPS. Shame it's only in German, but I guess that's better than nothing, and that was the best you could do, and I'm sure they'll be entertaining. Guess a monoglot like me will have to do without.
Pages: [1]   Go Up