Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey ho! Newcommer asking advice!  (Read 10337 times)

Arovos

• Convention Security Operative
Hey ho! Newcommer asking advice!
« on: 12.02.2016, 23:00:20 »

Hello Furry folks out there!

Eurofurence is (relatively speaking) almost here! Just a couple of more months to wait. XD
Now this will be my first big con out here, and I was wondering wich things I deffinitely shouldn't miss out!
Now I know you have the "Your fisrt Furcon" panel and the almost legendary famous pawpet show. Wich
I will visit without any doubt!

Now I know it has to do with your taste of subjects, and that it will be impossible to attend every happening
at the con. I'm quite well aware of that fact. Still I would like to see you folks telling about your favorite events that
you will surely attend! So I can get a general idea of the things to see/do at the con, and make a schedule of wich things
I should visit!

Many thanks for reading, and I hope to see the reations!

Cheers,

Arovos

gummi_bjorn

• Video Team
    • my fa
Re: Hey ho! Newcommer asking advice!
« Reply #1 on: 13.02.2016, 17:27:30 »

hi arovos.

my prefered panels are mostly the ones with uncle kage, so im a supersponsor to get them all.
and i can recomend seing as much of kages stuff as possible, he is an intelligent ,an that has a great fun way to say shit..:D
other than panel i would say the artshow and auction are great treats for me.

but the best thing of all for me, is sitting in the lobby bar. just watching all of the fantastic people of the fandom passing by.
and meeting a lot of wonderful people, including kage.
so if you pas a fat guy in the lobby bar wearing a black hat and drinking like theres no tomorrow, then you found me.
come and say hi, i rarely bite. i am mostly to busy drinking ;)
i hope there's something in this rant you can use.
so enjoy, eurofurence is a fantasic place full of great folks.

see ya there.

VulpesRex

« Reply #2 on: 14.02.2016, 09:15:52 »

EuroFURence has in the past had many events which were directly related to Furry Fandom (such as those dealing with Literature, Puppetry, Costuming, Art and Animation) and those which weren't directly anthropomorphic in any way, but happened to be interests shared by fannish-type people, for which an international gathering was an opportunity to share those interests (Gamers, MotorFurs, Amateur Radio and Electronics, International Food Exchange) and things which have happily fit "in between" (everything else).

Each year, EuroFURence sponsors a charity and has at least one "Guest of Honor"; there are usually panels or presentations featuring the guests of honor, and those are usually well-worth attending, as the guests chosen are either well-known creative figures within the fandom, or Professional Talents who are involved in producing works of Anthropomorphic interest.  The chosen charity will usually have a booth and will usually make a presentation about the subject of their work - and if it is directly involved with support for animals, there may be one there to illustrate the subject (ever wanted to pet an otter, or hold a bat?).

MOTORFUR MEET - While there has always been a pride in german automotive technology, since the reunification of the country there has been a growing "car culture", and for a few years now, people who have driven to EuroFURence have gathered in a designated open space to show off their "rides".  This has included cars from every nation in Western Europe where there is an auto industry, plus a few american cars, and a few Russian cars with really impressive furry-themed paint jobs.  If you are a motorsport type of person, this will be of interest to you.

INTERNATIONAL SNACK EXCHANGE - this started out as an informal gathering of folks who were encouraged to bring their favorite snack foods - either traditional treats or commercial "junk food" - which might be totally unknown outside their countries of origin (Stroopwaffels?  WHY DO WE NOT HAVE THESE IN THE USA?!?)...or things of which people have heard, but would otherwise never have the opportunity to try (Hostess Twinkies? ...really?...).  While there are peanut-based snacks in Germany, apparently people don't get the chance to eat them roasted and salted in-the-shell, as they are commonly sold at american sporting events, most famously at Baseball games.  These seemed to be popular - along with some almonds and pistachios, which I brought from California (commercially grown within 10 km of my house, actually).  So if you have or know of some food snack which characterizes your homeland, bring some to share at the snack exchange!

EVENING FIRE PIT - One of the more popular features of prior EuroFURences - back when they were smaller affairs, held in Suhl at the Ringberg hotel - was a nightly campfire held at a firepit (the Ringberg was on top of a high hill or small mountain, and it got cold at night).  It was fun to sit in the dark by the glowing fire, and enjoy the night, with gentle conversations about all sorts of things.  But we had to give that up when EuroFURence was compelled to seek larger accommodations in Magdeburg.  The Maritim was right downtown, and a firepit was not one of their ammenities.

...But the Estrel has a sand "beach" (Strand) of sorts with a small biergarten set by a canal, and there is a firepit, which EuroFURence has used both years that we have been there.  EF Security take responsibility for maintaining a nice, active and bright fire, through to the wee hours of the morning, and I would say that if it isn't raining, there may be from 100 to 200 people at any one time sitting around it (people drift in and out, going on to other diversions).  Who doesn't enjoy a nice campfire?

FURSUIT GAMES/"CRITTER OLYMPICS" - this is a competition to perform various stunts, individually and in teams, while in fursuit - and it is a spectator sport (with limited audience participation).  I admit that I haven't seen this event since our "Roman Theme" year, but if it is staged, it is well worth watching.

CONCERT/MUSICAL EVENTS - When we have had guests with musical talent - such as Fox Amoor or Peter S. Beagle - we can hope to be treated to a concert.  This MAY be a Charity Benefit, for which you must buy a ticket at the Charity Booth, but often there is an additional performance - more like a "jam session" as well.  No promises on this, we need to see if such guests are invited or are otherwise in attendance, anc if they can be encouraged to perform.

In addition - besides running a major convention, and also participating in one fantastic puppet show - several of the EuroFURence staff also are professional or semi-professional musicians, who have collaborated on a number of Furry Music projects ("Furry Fantasies", "The Fauna Project"), and they have in the past assembled to perform on-stage, with furry-themed music of their own composition, and - while it is not a guaranteed, "every year" thing - If you want to get in touch with your "furry Side" with musical inspiration,  and you see it in the schedule, make the time to attend.

...And then of course there are the nightly dances, "ENTER THE ARENA" (the Fursuit Dance Competition) and the game tournaments.

The panel programming may include demonstrations of things like Animatronics for Fursuits, Fursuit materials and Construction (if FurTech is attending from California), and possibly a Furry Amateur Radio discussion...but many of these things are dependent on furry fans who have the necessary expertise attending and hosting the discussion panels or making the presentations.

...Speaking of such - Arovos!  Might there be any particular aspect of our hobby at which you have some knowledge, skills, or experience; and which you may wish to present (or assist others in presenting) for the benefit of your fellow furry fans?

Edit: to correct spelling of OP's name
« Last Edit: 14.02.2016, 23:56:56 by VulpesRex »
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Arovos

« Reply #3 on: 14.02.2016, 13:07:25 »

hi arovos.

my prefered panels are mostly the ones with uncle kage, so im a supersponsor to get them all.
and i can recomend seing as much of kages stuff as possible, he is an intelligent ,an that has a great fun way to say shit..:D
other than panel i would say the artshow and auction are great treats for me.

but the best thing of all for me, is sitting in the lobby bar. just watching all of the fantastic people of the fandom passing by.
and meeting a lot of wonderful people, including kage.
so if you pas a fat guy in the lobby bar wearing a black hat and drinking like theres no tomorrow, then you found me.
come and say hi, i rarely bite. i am mostly to busy drinking ;)
i hope there's something in this rant you can use.
so enjoy, eurofurence is a fantasic place full of great folks.

see ya there.

Well Gummi_bjorn,

It seems we share a common interest! I too, like Uncle Kage! I think he is often hillarious, and thats why I bought a supersponsor ticket as well! :3
I don't count myself as a huge drinker, unless it involves either 2 drinks in particular: Ice tea and (from the Edeka supermarket) Bananensaft. (Like appel juice, but then with Banana's!)
Sadly they don't sell that stuff in the Lidl!

As for the artist show: I think I'll pay that a visit too :) including the dealers den ofcourse.

So I think there will be a high possibility you can encounter me on the way to various uncle kage related events! Just look for a dude wich makes constantly sarcastic jokes, and you will find me :)

Cheers,

Arovos

Arovos

« Reply #4 on: 14.02.2016, 14:12:07 »

EuroFURence has in the past had many events which were directly related to Furry Fandom (such as those dealing with Literature, Puppetry, Costuming, Art and Animation) and those which weren't directly anthropomorphic in any way, but happened to be interests shared by fannish-type people, for which an international gathering was an opportunity to share those interests (Gamers, MotorFurs, Amateur Radio and Electronics, International Food Exchange) and things which have happily fit "in between" (everything else).

Each year, EuroFURence sponsors a charity and has at least one "Guest of Honor"; there are usually panels or presentations featuring the guests of honor, and those are usually well-worth attending, as the guests chosen are either well-known creative figures within the fandom, or Professional Talents who are involved in producing works of Anthropomorphic interest.  The chosen charity will usually have a booth and will usually make a presentation about the subject of their work - and if it is directly involved with support for animals, there may be one there to illustrate the subject (ever wanted to pet an otter, or hold a bat?).

MOTORFUR MEET - While there has always been a pride in german automotive technology, since the reunification of the country there has been a growing "car culture", and for a few years now, people who have driven to EuroFURence have gathered in a designated open space to show off their "rides".  This has included cars from every nation in Western Europe where there is an auto industry, plus a few american cars, and a few Russian cars with really impressive furry-themed paint jobs.  If you are a motorsport type of person, this will be of interest to you.

INTERNATIONAL SNACK EXCHANGE - this started out as an informal gathering of folks who were encouraged to bring their favorite snack foods - either traditional treats or commercial "junk food" - which might be totally unknown outside their countries of origin (Stroopwaffels?  WHY DO WE NOT HAVE THESE IN THE USA?!?)...or things of which people have heard, but would otherwise never have the opportunity to try (Hostess Twinkies? ...really?...).  While there are peanut-based snacks in Germany, apparently people don't get the chance to eat them roasted and salted in-the-shell, as they are commonly sold at american sporting events, most famously at Baseball games.  These seemed to be popular - along with some almonds and pistachios, which I brought from California (commercially grown within 10 km of my house, actually).  So if you have or know of some food snack which characterizes your homeland, bring some to share at the snack exchange!

EVENING FIRE PIT - One of the more popular features of prior EuroFURences - back when they were smaller affairs, held in Suhl at the Ringberg hotel - was a nightly campfire held at a firepit (the Ringberg was on top of a high hill or small mountain, and it got cold at night).  It was fun to sit in the dark by the glowing fire, and enjoy the night, with gentle conversations about all sorts of things.  But we had to give that up when EuroFURence was compelled to seek larger accommodations in Magdeburg.  The Maritim was right downtown, and a firepit was not one of their ammenities.

...But the Estrel has a sand "beach" (Strand) of sorts with a small biergarten set by a canal, and there is a firepit, which EuroFURence has used both years that we have been there.  EF Security take responsibility for maintaining a nice, active and bright fire, through to the wee hours of the morning, and I would say that if it isn't raining, there may be from 100 to 200 people at any one time sitting around it (people drift in and out, going on to other diversions).  Who doesn't enjoy a nice campfire?

FURSUIT GAMES/"CRITTER OLYMPICS" - this is a competition to perform various stunts, individually and in teams, while in fursuit - and it is a spectator sport (with limited audience participation).  I admit that I haven't seen this event since our "Roman Theme" year, but if it is staged, it is well worth watching.

CONCERT/MUSICAL EVENTS - When we have had guests with musical talent - such as Fox Amoor or Peter S. Beagle - we can hope to be treated to a concert.  This MAY be a Charity Benefit, for which you must buy a ticket at the Charity Booth, but often there is an additional performance - more like a "jam session" as well.  No promises on this, we need to see if such guests are invited or are otherwise in attendance, anc if they can be encouraged to perform.

In addition - besides running a major convention, and also participating in one fantastic puppet show - several of the EuroFURence staff also are professional or semi-professional musicians, who have collaborated on a number of Furry Music projects ("Furry Fantasies", "The Fauna Project"), and they have in the past assembled to perform on-stage, with furry-themed music of their own composition, and - while it is not a guaranteed, "every year" thing - If you want to get in touch with your "furry Side" with musical inspiration,  and you see it in the schedule, make the time to attend.

...And then of course there are the nightly dances, "ENTER THE ARENA" (the Fursuit Dance Competition) and the game tournaments.

The panel programming may include demonstrations of things like Animatronics for Fursuits, Fursuit materials and Construction (if FurTech is attending from California), and possibly a Furry Amateur Radio discussion...but many of these things are dependent on furry fans who have the necessary expertise attending and hosting the discussion panels or making the presentations.

...Speaking of such - Avoros!  Might there be any particular aspect of our hobby at which you have some knowledge, skills, or experience; and which you may wish to present (or assist others in presenting) for the benefit of your fellow furry fans?

My my! A nice lenghty post wich explains it all! First in advance: thank you for your very detailed description of the marvelous things that happen in/around eurofurence! It gave me a nice insight on what to expect, and what to surely visit!

I will deffinitely visit Fox Amoore's pannel, if it is present. I love his music, and it would be sureley intresting. Although I have a rythm feeling of a Drunk Baffoon, that is.

The Fire pit/place thingie sounds cossy as well! Seems like a great oppertunity to meet some fellow furs, and perhaps make some new friends along the way :) Secondly:
Who doesn't love crackling warm fire places? Guess I have to take a nice bag of marshmallows with me as well :P

And I'm always in for some foreign snacks! Seems you are a huge fan of Stroopwafels! (Syrupwaffels) Perhaps I'll take some "Kruidnoten" with me als well. I know for sure we have some of them lying around somewhere. A Suprise on what those are...

Now to answer your last question: My own panel.

Well I have been thinking about that. Seeing the theme of this year is the 80's, I thought (in my stupidity) it would be fun to host a panel on the fall of the Berlin wall! I have a interest in the history of the 20th century and mainly the period late WW2 and the Cold war.

It will begin with the lead up of the construction of the wall, then after that construction of it. After that some stories of the wall throughout the 60's 70's and 80's and then the fall of the Berlin wall eventually. (with a closing view of modern day walls being constructed to divide countries/territories. e.g. The Palastine/Israël wall, or the new border wall in Europe fencing off Refugees.)
There actually have been some rather interesting escape attempts made, and I will deffinitely tell of them. Not to mention the tension of the collapse of the Berlin wall itself. And that is almost ended up in total chaos and a massacre! (luckily that didn't happen!)

The point is: I have some way to "spice" things up, and make it actually entertaining to watch the panel.  #p(various movie clips, dialogues of the actual conversations held + some quotes from famous persons) And, this might sound a bit posh, I have some degree of knowledge on the subject. However I'm not sure if there is A) and audiance for this B) I'm the right person to held this panel. If there is one thing I'm bad at, it is having a presentation for a large group of people. I always begin to stammer etc. :P Regualr conversations are easy enough, though.

So to end your question: maybe I will! Maybe not! However, I do plan to visit the con in a DDR costume to fit the theme. ( That is: if it is allowed. Still have to contact Eurofurence security for that.) as it might be offensive to some people, wich I can totally understand.

Well that basically sums it all up for now!

Cheers,

Arovos

Swip

• Swip's Furaffinity Userpage
« Reply #5 on: 14.02.2016, 23:05:23 »

I don't count myself as a huge drinker, unless it involves either 2 drinks in particular: Ice tea and (from the Edeka supermarket) Bananensaft. (Like appel juice, but then with Banana's!)
Watch out for this stuff:
 http://www.lidl.de/de/solevita-fruchtnektar-apfel-banane-zitrone/p211261
It's pretty bananish, tasty and from Lidl ;)

Arovos

« Reply #6 on: 14.02.2016, 23:40:23 »

Watch out for this stuff:
 http://www.lidl.de/de/solevita-fruchtnektar-apfel-banane-zitrone/p211261
It's pretty bananish, tasty and from Lidl ;)

But sadly not entirely! Still better then nothing I supose :P

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #7 on: 16.02.2016, 12:07:41 »

So to end your question: maybe I will! Maybe not! However, I do plan to visit the con in a DDR costume to fit the theme. ( That is: if it is allowed. Still have to contact Eurofurence security for that.) as it might be offensive to some people, wich I can totally understand.
What Do you actually mean with "DDR costume"? I'm not a fashion specialist, so I don't know if fashion was that wildly different from the other side of the wall, so I'm a bit confused. Are you referring to a uniform? If so, please make sure to read up about legal issues - afaik the insignia of the border tropps od the GDR are regarded as anticonstitutional symbols so they would violate §86a StGB (as would insignia of the 3rd Reich).

Back to you original question: if there is a charity concert, I would advise you to join. Yes it costs a few bucks - but the experience of such a small konzert is truly amazing :)
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

Arovos

« Reply #8 on: 17.02.2016, 02:04:59 »

What Do you actually mean with "DDR costume"? I'm not a fashion specialist, so I don't know if fashion was that wildly different from the other side of the wall, so I'm a bit confused. Are you referring to a uniform? If so, please make sure to read up about legal issues - afaik the insignia of the border tropps od the GDR are regarded as anticonstitutional symbols so they would violate §86a StGB (as would insignia of the 3rd Reich).

Back to you original question: if there is a charity concert, I would advise you to join. Yes it costs a few bucks - but the experience of such a small konzert is truly amazing :)

To answer your first comment: Wow! didn't knew that! Indeed it is a Volkspolizei uniform. As I do not wish to intend to break german law, I better not wear it! Although I didn't find the reference to forbidden DDR symbols in the official statement of explanation the German state. I could have missed a paragraph maybe! But no uniform is, no risk. Unless common T-shirts with texts like: "I love Furries" Are forbidden ofcourse :P Still the law makes sense though. Probably extreme left Groups wear it as protest, and  I do not affiliate with those kind of groups :)

To answer your second comment: Hmmmm, sounds interesting! What kind of musicians usually peform at such a concert? is it like really a small concert like thing, wich different bands peforming after one and another?
If so, sounds like fun :)

P.S. as a matter of fact East German fashion had a bit of difference :) mainly as the build up of the gap between east and west, east was more of a controlled fashion: everything had to be 'decent'. Such you can see East developed in most eyes of today 'very old fashioned' clothing in comparison to 60-70's of the west. However, during the Glasnost and the Peristroika (Under Gobatsjov 'more' freedom of speech and commerce) we see a more ghotic approach in the youth in east germany. this video illustrates it best: http://www.sundance.tv/blog/2015/07/deutschland-83-1980s-fashion-east-vs-west-germany

So to say: the east german fashion in the late 80's were more 'daring' then that of the west. Note though: this was mostly the youth.
« Last Edit: 17.02.2016, 02:22:02 by Arovos »

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #9 on: 17.02.2016, 19:21:06 »

Yeah, it's actually a bit hard to come by a (more or less) complete list of forbidden symbols. Compilations of such mostly refer to symbols of the 3rd Reich - but they are definitely not complete. But - I can't prove or disprove my memory here. The reason why the border troops were classified anticonstitutional was - simplified - that as they were responsible for most of the casualties at the German-German border, they were regarded as the evil incarnate of this "Unrechtsstaat". I that counts for other armed or military forces as well, I do not know.

As for the concert: last time I was there (two years ago), there were Fox Amoore, Amadhia and Alexander James Adams along with a performance of guest of honor Sardyuon :) While thy bigger concerts at EF, which fill the main stage, certainly are an act to enjoy, those really small... nearly private... charity concerts have a completely different atmosphere :)

You can read reports in the archives of the Daily Eurofurence about the concert and the charity concert :)
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

Arovos

« Reply #10 on: 18.02.2016, 00:16:41 »

Oooowh! Fox Amoore peformed! I'm a great fan of his work! Deffinitely going there, if there will be a concert. I hope there will! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up