Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotel Size  (Read 6960 times)

Thom

Hotel Size
« on: 10.01.2016, 23:06:35 »

I was wondering since EF has been hosted by the same hotel 3 times in a row, apparently there's never enough room for most of the people attending and rooms are filled in less than 24 hours from when registration starts. Isn't it time to move to a bigger hotel? This one is clearly not being sufficient to accommodate everyone.

gummi_bjorn

• Video Team
    • my fa
Re: Hotel Size
« Reply #1 on: 10.01.2016, 23:08:17 »

hi thom.
i dont think moving to a bigger venue is possible.
as i understand it estrel is the biggest hotel in northern europe.
« Last Edit: 10.01.2016, 23:11:07 by gummi_bjorn »

Santa fox

« Reply #2 on: 10.01.2016, 23:32:24 »

Estrel is the biggest hotel, yeah, from what I recall, though, they're expanding/going to expand it.

Morkai

• Convention Security Operative
« Reply #3 on: 10.01.2016, 23:40:30 »

Isn't it time to move to a bigger hotel
I guess so too, but there is a little problem with it: there is none.
The Estrel is germanys biggest hotel with 1125 Rooms. But they are starting to build the 'Estrel Tower' which will bring another 814 Rooms :)
Where is it written that all our dreams must be small?

gummi_bjorn

• Video Team
    • my fa
« Reply #4 on: 10.01.2016, 23:45:58 »

wow really 800 more rooms, then there will be rooms for the first 3 days of booking ;)

Vaulz

• Convention Security Operative
  • :3
« Reply #5 on: 10.01.2016, 23:50:14 »

Even without the upcoming changes to the Estrel hotel, and if Eurofurence would be held outside of northern Europe (The "Rin Grand" in Romania for example would be bigger at the moment), it is most certainly not only a matter of available rooms. In addition to that, it would also have to be a hotel with enough space for the events of the convention, and in an environment where us furries would be welcome.
You also have to take into account that the rooms need to be affordable, and how much money it would cost to run the convention at the desired location. I personally think that 50€ per night and person (in one room) in a 4-star hotel is rather impressive...
It would probably not be a good idea to move to a bigger hotel if that means that fewer people could come, just because the entrance fees had to be raised to 150 bucks, or because the rooms are 200 per night. Not to forget that the hotel/convention center would need to be willing to have us there in the first place.
So, I generally agree that it would be nice to have more rooms for people to stay at (which seems to be the case at some point in the near future). But moving to a new location is probably not as much of an easy decision as it might seem.

Of course, I'm not speaking for the Eurofurence Team here in any way. Those are just my personal thoughts on that issue.
« Last Edit: 10.01.2016, 23:51:55 by Vaulz »

Lizeron

« Reply #6 on: 11.01.2016, 00:37:50 »

I am starting to think that this is one of the reasons American cons last for a single weekend. The hotel rooms are certainly a disadvantage atm, they seem to be booked completely for the period of the con, even at normal priced rooms without the con discount.

I will agree that 50euro per night is actually the best thing ever. Tho, because of its location, I wouldn't justify more than 80 per person per night D:!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 11.01.2016, 00:46:45 »

Hello,

I can't give you any update on how the booking situation is. It's a sunday night :) And even if i could exactly tell you how many rooms are booked, how would that help anyone? Your reservation either goes through, or it does not.

I totally understand that it's a bit frustrating not to get a room at the main venue, but I hope you trust me that since we've been running this con for 22 years now, if we'd see any obvious way to fix this, we would do so :) There are hotels with more beds, but not with the necessary convention space attached.

Hitting the room cap at the main hotel is something that is inevitably going to happen to any convention at some time, and it is something we have to live with. Eurofurence is not going to move any time soon, and it is legally impossible for us to move to another country. Just like other big conventions. Anthrocon is filling up the major SEVEN hotels of pittsburgh. And that is the future of Eurofurence. Attendees will have to spread out a bit, it is the way big conventions have to go.

Please refer to our thread with alternative accomodation nearby:

https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,6063.0.html

And this announcement for what your other options are:

https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,6747.0.html
« Last Edit: 11.01.2016, 00:48:59 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1]   Go Up