Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EF13 website up and running  (Read 48086 times)

ANTIcarrot

• Loquacious pawpet show reviewer
    • FA - ANTIcarrot
EF13 website up and running
« on: 12.11.2006, 01:53:09 »

Including all important price information:
http://www.eurofurence.org/EF13/cont-registration.html

Basic attendence: 60 euros

Twin accomadation: 100 euros
Single accomadation: 200 euros
(covers all four nights)

Food (maybe): ~ 80 euros - or your own arrangements. Site doesn't mention breakfast - but who's ever up that early anyway? ;D

Sponsership: +50 euros
Includes room upgrade to superior:
http://www.ringberghotel.de/rw_e8v/main.asp?WebID=ringberg_e&PageID=42

Schneelocke

Re: EF13 website up and running
« Reply #1 on: 12.11.2006, 15:03:37 »

Well, you get a room upgrade while supplies last; as I understand it, there's no guarantee for that.

Pity about the food, too - I think that will be a major problem for many furs (myself included), especially given that the hotel's located outside of town (so you can't even go somewhere quickly to grab something to eat, unless you have a car; but in that case, eating at the hotel would probably not kill you, anyway).

Dracolithe

« Reply #2 on: 12.11.2006, 15:04:58 »

Appears to be cheaper than I thought it would be. With my lack of money recently, going to EF doesn't seem so unrealistic afterall.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #3 on: 12.11.2006, 17:13:06 »

Pity about the food, too - I think that will be a major problem for many furs (myself included), especially given that the hotel's located outside of town
Well, I bet that there are numerous pizza delivery services in Suhl. However, I'm not quite sure that they will be much cheaper than the brunch offered by the hotel...
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Schneelocke

« Reply #4 on: 12.11.2006, 17:30:32 »

Well, I bet that there are numerous pizza delivery services in Suhl. However, I'm not quite sure that they will be much cheaper than the brunch offered by the hotel...

Indeed. I'd rather attend an all-you-can-eat buffet than ordering pizza for a similar price, anyway; it's not about not liking the food the hotel has to offer, after all, but about not being able to afford 15 EUR per meal. At two meals a day, that's easily more than 100 EUR for the entire con, and I at least simply cannot pay that much for four days' worth of food. :P

Ah well.

Loewi

• Accounting Director
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #5 on: 12.11.2006, 18:14:06 »

Indeed. I'd rather attend an all-you-can-eat buffet than ordering pizza for a similar price, anyway; it's not about not liking the food the hotel has to offer, after all, but about not being able to afford 15 EUR per meal. At two meals a day, that's easily more than 100 EUR for the entire con, and I at least simply cannot pay that much for four days' worth of food. :P

Ah well.

so... you still can bring your own food. Or what about attending meal once a day? Or both?
Noone pushes you to attend every meal. I think the "meal thingy" is as flexible as it could be.

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #6 on: 12.11.2006, 18:37:03 »

And you don't have to order the "all you can eat" thing, the hotel still has "a a la carte" restaurant where you can order normal food for normal prices.

Schneelocke

« Reply #7 on: 12.11.2006, 18:46:49 »

so... you still can bring your own food. Or what about attending meal once a day? Or both?
Noone pushes you to attend every meal. I think the "meal thingy" is as flexible as it could be.

Sure it is. But you can't deny that it's not the same as in the past, either, where all meals were included. I'm not complaining about the new site, but I think I should be allowed to express my disappointment with this particular development, at least... right? :P

And you don't have to order the "all you can eat" thing, the hotel still has "a a la carte" restaurant where you can order normal food for normal prices.

Is a meal in the "normal" restaurant going to be considerably cheaper than 10 to 15 EUR, though?

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 12.11.2006, 19:01:10 »

Well, you get a room upgrade while supplies last; as I understand it, there's no guarantee for that.

If you find a way to assign more rooms than available, please let me know, so I can propose you for a nobel prize in mathematics :)

So it's not strictly a "room upgrade". It's a donation that will give you priority treatment when rooms are assigned.

And please keep in mind ... sponsorship is a voluntary fee that you pay to give the convention extra support. The sponsor benefits you get in return are a gift.
yours,

Cheetah

Kralle

• Wireless & EF Prime Tech
« Reply #9 on: 12.11.2006, 19:03:15 »

Pity about the food, too - I think that will be a major problem for many furs (myself included), especially given that the hotel's located outside of town (so you can't even go somewhere quickly to grab something to eat, unless you have a car; but in that case, eating at the hotel would probably not kill you, anyway).

Bring 20 packages of Ramen and 2 tins of Chappy with you if you like.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 12.11.2006, 19:05:48 »

Sure it is. But you can't deny that it's not the same as in the past, either, where all meals were included. I'm not complaining about the new site, but I think I should be allowed to express my disappointment with this particular development, at least... right? :P

Sure, you're free to do that, but unless you know a better possibility (and would be willing to share it with us), it's rather pointless, because there's nothing we can do about it.
yours,

Cheetah

Tungro

• Otters Everywhere!
    • The Otterholt
« Reply #11 on: 12.11.2006, 19:12:48 »

Yes, the total fee may end up being comparable to EF12, BUT EF12 included food (albeit not great food IMO). You can't really say it'll only cost €160 (€210 for Sponsors) when you still have to add food costs to that. Yes, there is some kind of choice - you can buy food in town, bring it with you beforehand etc.

Another problem I see is the location of food. On a LiveJournal post, Big Blue Fox said that there is a food discounter at the bottom of the hill, claiming it's a 10min walk or a 2min car journey. My problem is... the venue is on top of a hill! If you haven't got a car, it'll be a pain in the backside to carry shopping up that hill. You thought Nuremberg's hill was bad? :P Some say there is a bus service between Suhl and the hotel's driveway. But I don't quite see how it'd be much cheaper than eating in the hotel, if you add bus tickets to the total. And then you STILL have one problem - you can't actually cook anything. I doubt the hotel will have little kitchens for us to use, when they would obviously want any guests to use their own restaurant. And I'm not even sure if there'll be a kettle in the room which can be used to make ramen. Oh, and let's not forget a lack of somewhere to keep food fresh and cool.

The con runs from the 5th to the 9th of September. So let's say that's 2 meals a day (brunch and dinner), but the 5th and 9th will only have one meal. So that's eight meals, at €10-€15 at a time. Which adds €80 to €120 to the con fee. So that makes the con costs €240-€280 for regular congoers, and €290-€330 for sponsors. Ick! And before people say the food at the hotel is optional, getting food elsewhere will cost just as much when you add in transport costs, and even then you're limited to takeout (eat it whilst it's hot) or cold food only.

Sorry if this sounds rather negative, but I'm merely voicing concerns that I have. I'm not even sure how to suggest how to tackle these problems. Can't exactly ask the hotel to convert a room on each floor into kitchen space really! I'm just disappointed that this time food isn't included in the fee, and if it IS added then the resultant fee is €240+... And I also presume that the costing has been worked out in fine detail and that the con fee is the lowest it can be made to be (to still break even in the end), and that the buffets are also done at a discounted rate for the con goers?
--
Head of Registration for ConFuzzled
(though my opinions are my own!)

Schneelocke

« Reply #12 on: 12.11.2006, 19:14:03 »

If you find a way to assign more rooms than available, please let me know, so I can propose you for a nobel prize in mathematics :)

So it's not strictly a "room upgrade". It's a donation that will give you priority treatment when rooms are assigned.

And please keep in mind ... sponsorship is a voluntary fee that you pay to give the convention extra support. The sponsor benefits you get in return are a gift.

*chuckles* There is no Nobel Prize for mathematics, actually, but if you want to propose me for a Fields medal, I'd be most honoured. ^.~ In any case, hey, peace - that's exactly what I meant. There's only so many rooms in the higher category, so naturally, not everyone will be able to get one. And yes, being a sponsor doesn't entitle you to one, either, so if you don't get one even though you're a sponsor, you don't have a right to complain (and those who do should keep in mind what being a sponsor is and isn't about).

Bring 20 packages of Ramen and 2 tins of Chappy with you if you like.

Wow, great idea. :P

Sure, you're free to do that, but unless you know a better possibility (and would be willing to share it with us), it's rather pointless, because there's nothing we can do about it.

I don't know of any possibility, naturally - I don't know anything about the deal with the hotel, after all.

Oh well, I'll shut up already.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 12.11.2006, 19:51:50 »

Yes, the total fee may end up being comparable to EF12, BUT EF12 included food (albeit not great food IMO). You can't really say it'll only cost €160 (€210 for Sponsors) when you still have to add food costs to that. Yes, there is some kind of choice - you can buy food in town, bring it with you beforehand etc.

Okay, I think I need to put things into perspective here:

Out of 400 attendees at EF12, only 250 attended the meals at all. The rest not only paid for a meal they didn't want, they obviously spent extra money to eat elsewhere. So, when deciding which part of the increased cost to offload from the con fee, food was the obvious choice. And with an art show turnover of roughly 11000€, the average congoer doesn't seem to be overly poor.

Another problem I see is the location of food. On a LiveJournal post, Big Blue Fox said that there is a food discounter at the bottom of the hill, claiming it's a 10min walk or a 2min car journey. My problem is... the venue is on top of a hill! If you haven't got a car, it'll be a pain in the backside to carry shopping up that hill

Oh, come on. There will be 400-500 furries around. People will go shopping in groups, and people will also most likely be going out for dinner in groups. There's always someone with a car you can go with. And unlike Nuremberg, you CAN park you car right outside the front door.

You thought Nuremberg's hill was bad? :P Some say there is a bus service between Suhl and the hotel's driveway. Which adds €80 to €120 to the con fee. So that makes the con costs €240-€280 for regular congoers, and €290-€330 for sponsors.

If you make the free, optional, decision to exclusively eat at the hotel buffets, yes. But the alternatives are there, even if it takes a bit of planning ahead.  So your argument is a little bit like, "and if I book the massage service twice a day, this drives my con fee up to 400€". Sure it will. Additional convenience does cost extra money.

People say the food at the hotel is optional, getting food elsewhere will cost just as much when you add in transport costs, and even then you're limited to takeout (eat it whilst it's hot) or cold food only.

You're wildly exaggerating. In town, you can get a kebap for 3€, and some buns and a cup of coffee for about 4€. Or a Big Mac Menu at McDonalds for €4.50. Calm down :)

Sorry if this sounds rather negative, but I'm merely voicing concerns that I have. I'm not even sure how to suggest how to tackle these problems.

For breakfast, get stuff from a bakery, that you can easily store at your room. For dinner, find other hungry furs, share a car, go out together. It's more fun anyways.

Oh and by the way, the rooms actually do have a little fridge. (It usually serves as a minibar, but they won't be stocked for Eurofurence, so it's free for you to use and store cold food.)

And by the way, the restaurant also serves snacks for less than the buffet price.
« Last Edit: 12.11.2006, 19:55:59 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #14 on: 12.11.2006, 20:22:22 »

While I personally dislike EF departing from the "all inclusive" philosophy, there's a bit to be said about the food issue.

First, as previously mentioned there are two facilities in the hotel, so you could possibly get away anywhere between €5 and €10 per main course in the non-buffet restaurant, or alternatively overindulge on the brunch buffet and just skip dinner, or have a light salad instead.  ;)

Secondly, there is public transportation from the main road (which is about 200m down the hotel access road) with a bus line that runs sort of bi-hourly (http://www.iov-ilmenau.de/fahrplan/300.pdf) with a single fare of € 1.10 (if I am not mistaken there, public transport down there _is_ rather crude and below par compared to what you will find in the non-Soviet parts of Germany). If one is truly desperate, one can therefore still shop on their own (although don't even think about getting places in the evening without a car).

Unless there is a footpath I am not aware of, walking would mean about 1.5 to 2 kilometers  before you reach Suhl city limits, as the access road to the hotel meanders just in the wrong direction to meet the main road.

Oh, and there's also a Joey's in Suhl that will deliver from a minimum amount of €9.95 per order.
« Last Edit: 12.11.2006, 20:43:45 by doco »
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up