Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art Show Question - European Frame Sizes  (Read 8147 times)

Windfalcon

Art Show Question - European Frame Sizes
« on: 02.05.2016, 16:48:33 »

Hi everyone! This will be my first year at Eurofurence and I'm very excited :) I have a dealer's table and (hopefully) space in the art show, and I have a question about frame sizes in Europe.

I know Europe (as does most of the rest of the world) uses the metric system, and as such your paper sizes are A3, A4, etc. In the United States, our frame sizes are based on inches, so we have "standard" pre-made frames at sizes such as 8X10, 11X14 inches.  When I mat art for shows here in the U.S., I try to make the outer dimensions such so someone can pop the matted piece right into a pre-made frame.  I'd like to do the same for the art I bring to the Eurofurence art show, but I don't know if Germany (and surrounding countries) sell pre-made frames in "A" sizes, or if there are specific sizes in centimeters.

Since I'm flying from the U.S., I'll be very limited in luggage space, so I can't bring framed work, only matted work.  I'd like to make it as easy (and inexpensive) as possible for anyone who has my work to frame it, if they so wish.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
Re: Art Show Question - European Frame Sizes
« Reply #1 on: 02.05.2016, 16:53:58 »

It isn't that easy actually. There's the A sizes, but also the photo sizes, and some frames will accept both.

Try searching for "Walther Trendstyle" on amazon.de (and ignore any guns that may pop up) to get an overview of the multitude of frames available.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Windfalcon

« Reply #2 on: 02.05.2016, 16:56:32 »

Thanks Schakaline! That's very helpful, I'll look around and see what I can find :)

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #3 on: 02.05.2016, 18:22:31 »

There's also the fact that we have guests from the US who may buy your work and take it right back to the land of Imperial measurements :-)

Windfalcon

« Reply #4 on: 03.05.2016, 22:21:11 »

Ah, that's another good point. Some pieces I may have already matted from previous shows, so they may have inch-dimensions rather than metric.  They're also in clear bags, so it's easy enough to hang them as is, if people don't want to frame them :)

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #5 on: 04.05.2016, 22:31:08 »

I actually find it easier to buy art without frames as it's easier to transport home again. It's easy enough to take to a framing shop and have them make something to suit, plain glass and wood frames aren't that expensive to get made up.
More is more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up