Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Bananas unite!  (Read 10710 times)

garra

• Stage Director
  • Most peculiar.
Stage Bananas unite!
« on: 27.05.2016, 11:38:08 »

This is a catchall thread for the applications and discussion of Stage Banana volunteers -- see https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,6927.0.html for further details!

As this is a fairly new thing we're doing this year (comparable to the old-and-tried Gopher system), feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Do I need experience in stage work?
No, you don't! While experienced stage hands are always welcome, volunteers are not required to bring anything other than time and the will to help! We will have a short introductory course on Wednesday in which you will learn the basics of stage work.

But what am I going to learn?
First and foremost, you're going to see how the stage team functions from the inside. Ever wondered how the stage comes together? What it takes to run a show? And, on the more practical side of things, we will teach you how to work at events big and small: What is a stage plan? What types of cable are there, what's the difference between them? How do I properly roll a cable?

How much of that am I actually going to use?
That greatly depends on the events you chose to help. There will be music shows to set up (plenty of cables & microphones), game shows (using props and re-arranging the floor space) and 'simple' stand-up comedy events. Each event's manager will have you do different things. This system is as new for us as it is for you, so the first two days we'll gauge how to engage you best!

I don't want to spent my entire con on call!
You won't! There'll be a printed list at the FOH (the "bridge" of the stage) where events request stage hands. Additionally, we will keep you up-to-date in the Telegram group. Most events will require you to spend half an hour to an hour at breakdown/changeover. You're free to stick around longer of course!

Shinji170981

• Shinji the Cat
    • Me on Facebook
Re: Stage Bananas unite!
« Reply #1 on: 27.05.2016, 18:42:05 »

Sounds interesting. :)
I do have a few questions regarding the time table and the required bananas for each job.
Would we have to fulfill a quota or anything or is just like "if you are free, feel free to help." attitude.

I do have some experience as a stage hand at open air festivals but the last time was like 11 years ago.
I still remember fragments, but i clearly remember how time intensive this can be.
Initially i was going to offer my help anyway on Wednesday, because i already arrive on Monday at the Hotel, so i would have some spare time.

Also, is there another way to communicate at the convention, because there are probably a few people like me who don't have/use Whatsapp/Telegram.

Also one very very important question regarding health and safety, because if we volunteer and something happens, what measurements do you have in place? I assume that most people have a regular job and accidents can happen, even if people are extra careful. Speakers can be very heavy and tripping a cable will also be a danger to anyone who has no experience in a busy environment like the backstage area.

Just to clarify, i am generally interested but i also want to make sure that i get the most out of my first EF and enjoy helping at the same time. :)

paktani

• Convention Security Operative
  • I like beer, I like steaks
« Reply #2 on: 29.05.2016, 11:09:04 »

This sounds interesting.
I do, as hobbist, sound and light services to small bands and festivals but I am almost self-taught and self equipped...  and I will have to be istructed xD .
My problem is: I have a basic english that's not fluent, but I always try to do my best. I will join the chat and see if it's going to be something I can handle xD
Awoo

garra

• Stage Director
  • Most peculiar.
« Reply #3 on: 29.05.2016, 14:15:47 »

Thank you for your interest!

Sounds interesting. :)
I do have a few questions regarding the time table and the required bananas for each job.
Would we have to fulfill a quota or anything or is just like "if you are free, feel free to help." attitude.
You don't have to fulfill quotas -- but it'd be nice if we'd know how much time you can spare. Having a team of 10 people, with everyone being available on the same day or just once for a five-day convention is an entirely different can of beans than having 10 people that are available twice daily!

Also, is there another way to communicate at the convention, because there are probably a few people like me who don't have/use Whatsapp/Telegram.
There will be a timetable posted at the FOH which will contain all the information the Telegram group will: Who, what, when, where. As the instruction (or previous stage experience) is required for anything above menial jobs, we will not be actively searching for new stage hands at the con past Wednesday -- but we will post sign-up sheets for next year!

Shinji170981

• Shinji the Cat
    • Me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: 29.05.2016, 17:23:23 »

Thanks for the reply.
I would be up for it, if you need me. :)
Will be in the Hotel already on Monday, so if there is any need, i am available to offer my limited skill set :)

SaltMax

« Reply #5 on: 01.06.2016, 21:10:32 »

Hi! I want to help.
Do you still need ppl?

SaltMax

« Reply #6 on: 12.06.2016, 11:46:43 »

lol never mind

garra

• Stage Director
  • Most peculiar.
« Reply #7 on: 14.06.2016, 23:29:58 »

Thanks for the reply.
I would be up for it, if you need me. :)
Will be in the Hotel already on Monday, so if there is any need, i am available to offer my limited skill set :)
Great! Looking forward to working with you! :)
For the first two days we'll rely on our core staff (and a bunch of professionals) to do the stage setup. So there's little to do until Wednesday, hence the training being there!

Hi! I want to help.
Do you still need ppl?
Hey Salt! First, thank you for going through the trouble of signing up to reply. :)

Second, of course we are still looking for volunteers, and will be until EF! If there's an urgent matter -- as you've noticed, worst-case reply times in this thread can be up to two weeks -- feel free to shoot me a PM or say hi on Telegram. Both are monitored a lot closer, and you'll usually have an answer within the day.

« Last Edit: 14.06.2016, 23:33:18 by garra »

CheetahPaw

« Reply #8 on: 12.07.2016, 15:59:21 »

Hi! I would also like to help.

Already have some experience with lighting (connecting, patching, programming, mostly with QLC+ software) and sound equipment. Hope to be useful ^.^
Will be available from Tuesday, just in case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up