Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 5954 times)

Giovanni Magnus

A couple of questions
« on: 24.06.2016, 21:03:33 »

I wasn't sure what other name to give this thread, but both of the questions pertain to things being considered offensive, both physically and emotionally.

1. I am planning on bringing my lightsaber to Eurofurence. Whilst I am familiar with the procedure for registering at con ops before being allowed to play with it at a convention, the main concern is getting it there. Whilst it could easily fit in my bag (I had to order the shorter blade so I can do so), it's the hilt I am worried about. It looks pretty menacing.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xm4u4JkpKZQ/maxresdefault.jpg

And if not handled correctly, could be quite painful. I have my concerns as to whether it will need to be declared when I go through customs, or whether it'll be permitted through. I can wrap it up in bubble wrap to keep it safe, but how would I explain, particularly in German, what it actually is?

2. The second question I have is whether something is considered emotionally offensive. My character features a variation of a Celtic Cross on his chest, which looks like this.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/runescape2/images/1/11/Zaros_symbol.png/revision/latest?cb=20160101093125

My main problem is whether said Celtic Cross could be considered offensive. I try to make sure that whatever symbols I use are not politically incorrect or couldn't be considered so, but sometimes it's hard to know. I've read that some fascist groups have tried to adopt a Celtic Cross, particularly in red, as their emblems, and the Celtic cross shown in the link is featured in red. There was a scenario where a fursuiter had the confederate flag incorporated into their fursuit, and it prompted some serious negative backlash with some people actually looking to sabotage, which I most certainly don't want happening because of a minor misunderstanding. Even though the design I use it not strictly the same as the convention Celtic cross, what with the centre being rotated 45 degrees, but I am wondering if that slight alteration could make it offensive. Is this symbol known around Germany, or by extension Europe, as being offensive?

Thank you.

Dhary Montecore

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: 25.06.2016, 09:48:04 »

I wasn't sure what other name to give this thread, but both of the questions pertain to things being considered offensive, both physically and emotionally.

1. I am planning on bringing my lightsaber to Eurofurence. Whilst I am familiar with the procedure for registering at con ops before being allowed to play with it at a convention, the main concern is getting it there. Whilst it could easily fit in my bag (I had to order the shorter blade so I can do so), it's the hilt I am worried about. It looks pretty menacing.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xm4u4JkpKZQ/maxresdefault.jpg

And if not handled correctly, could be quite painful. I have my concerns as to whether it will need to be declared when I go through customs, or whether it'll be permitted through. I can wrap it up in bubble wrap to keep it safe, but how would I explain, particularly in German, what it actually is?

It does indeed. If you wrap it in bubblewrap you should not run into any issues at costums. If they do ask you just be sure to explain it. It is deemed a weapon in Germany. Regarding the flight however you might want to talk to your airline though, in case they have an issue with it being in your hand luggage.

Once you arrived at the con you would need to present it to the security office btw, not ConOps. On first glance I don't see any reason to deny it, but it depends on more than just a picture to clear something. :3

2. The second question I have is whether something is considered emotionally offensive. My character features a variation of a Celtic Cross on his chest, which looks like this.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/runescape2/images/1/11/Zaros_symbol.png/revision/latest?cb=20160101093125

My main problem is whether said Celtic Cross could be considered offensive. I try to make sure that whatever symbols I use are not politically incorrect or couldn't be considered so, but sometimes it's hard to know. I've read that some fascist groups have tried to adopt a Celtic Cross, particularly in red, as their emblems, and the Celtic cross shown in the link is featured in red. There was a scenario where a fursuiter had the confederate flag incorporated into their fursuit, and it prompted some serious negative backlash with some people actually looking to sabotage, which I most certainly don't want happening because of a minor misunderstanding. Even though the design I use it not strictly the same as the convention Celtic cross, what with the centre being rotated 45 degrees, but I am wondering if that slight alteration could make it offensive. Is this symbol known around Germany, or by extension Europe, as being offensive?

The Celtic Cross or Malteser Cross or Iron Cross is somewhat of a mixed one. It has been and is still used by right wing people, but as far as I am aware it is usually presented straight up and on a red or red and white background. In such a context we would not permit it to be worn in public. If you would have a picture of the fursuit I could give you a definite answer. Would that be possible?

You can also send it to  security@eurofurence.org   if you want to keep it private.

Giovanni Magnus

« Reply #2 on: 25.06.2016, 18:00:54 »

« Last Edit: 25.06.2016, 18:06:10 by Giovanni Magnus »

Dhary Montecore

« Reply #3 on: 25.06.2016, 19:02:15 »

Well, this is the clearest picture of it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/135788754@N06/27359787326/in/album-72157669184548055/

That's not an issue. Thanks for asking! That is very considerate. :3
Pages: [1]   Go Up