Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about payment for EF 23 - Digital credit cards  (Read 9553 times)

Muunn

So you will need a credit card to get a room. Does online prepaid debit cards work too? I got a thing called Neteller, it acts exactly like a credit card but is digital.
Otherwise I can request a card from them, so is Neteller an accepted credit card?

Thanks,
Muunn

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
Re: Question about payment for EF 23 - Digital credit cards
« Reply #1 on: 20.11.2016, 16:32:26 »

The text tells you that prepaid stuff works ^^

Muunn

« Reply #2 on: 21.11.2016, 13:56:07 »

Yeah but does a digital credit card work?

VulpesRex

« Reply #3 on: 22.11.2016, 08:23:00 »

Yeah but does a digital credit card work?

Forgive me, but I have never heard that term before - perhaps you could please explain what is meant by a "digital credit card"?

Is this something which has no actual physical form (there is no actual card)?  Or is it just an account number with an expiration date and security code, just as it would appear on physical cards?

...(Actually - that would make a lot of sense for people who shop or order services on-line, as no physical card is ever seen by the on-line retailer...and thus the card itself would be superfluous)...

When you actually show up at the hotel in person to claim and check into your room, the front desk is going to want to see something physical to charge your room expenses to, during your stay.  You can pay in cash if you like at the end of your stay, but on arrival, they are going to want to see a card that they can "read".
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Vaulz

• Convention Security Operative
  • :3
« Reply #4 on: 22.11.2016, 08:43:53 »

You can pay in cash if you like at the end of your stay, but on arrival, they are going to want to see a card that they can "read".

Unless you pay right at check-in. That's possible too, and you won't ever need to present any actual card.

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #5 on: 22.11.2016, 09:54:30 »

Forgive me, but I have never heard that term before - perhaps you could please explain what is meant by a "digital credit card"?

Basically the same as Paypal. You have everything a normal card has. And never runs out of date, it just refreshes the date to the next year.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #6 on: 22.11.2016, 12:12:39 »

Basically the same as Paypal. You have everything a normal card has. And never runs out of date, it just refreshes the date to the next year.
To my knowledge Neteller (a virtual credit card provider) only 'creates a virtual card' when requested.
It does not automatically update the year.

The virtual card is created on request and stays valid until:
it expires on given expiration date OR you pull back the authorisation on that card manually which you can all do online.

Your account with (virtual) credit card provider and the (virtual) credit card are two separate things.
You can have multiple cards on one account. And they can individually expire or be de-authorized.

Just out of caution; at this moment there is no official statement on which services will be accepted.
However, seeing they most like just check credit card information, my guess is that ANY credit card authority will work.
So stay tuned.
« Last Edit: 22.11.2016, 12:15:14 by Fineas »

Muunn

« Reply #7 on: 23.11.2016, 15:15:57 »

Thank you for explaining, it's basically a Mastercard with a different name on it. So I guess it would work?
Well see though.

VulpesRex

« Reply #8 on: 27.11.2016, 08:07:36 »

While digging into the internet to research possible solutions to the other thread regarding difficulties getting a credit card in the Netherlands, I ran into this:

https://www.wirecard.com/newsroom/press-releases/newsdetail/wirecard-issues-first-virtual-prepaid-card-for-online-payments-in-the-netherlands/

It is brand new, sounds similar to the Neteller offering, and - while Wirecard appears to me to be a german company, the product is available in the Netherlands (or to citizens of the Netherlands, at least).
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Muunn

« Reply #9 on: 30.11.2016, 12:00:40 »

While digging into the internet to research possible solutions to the other thread regarding difficulties getting a credit card in the Netherlands, I ran into this:

https://www.wirecard.com/newsroom/press-releases/newsdetail/wirecard-issues-first-virtual-prepaid-card-for-online-payments-in-the-netherlands/

It is brand new, sounds similar to the Neteller offering, and - while Wirecard appears to me to be a german company, the product is available in the Netherlands (or to citizens of the Netherlands, at least).

Thanks, this is much appreciated. I'll check this out c:

kshade

• Convention Security Operative
« Reply #10 on: 24.12.2016, 14:39:55 »

I've been using them for 10 years or so. Should work for the hotel, from what's been said about prepaid cards.
« Last Edit: 24.12.2016, 14:41:49 by kshade »
Pages: [1]   Go Up