Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Hotel booking error log  (Read 22594 times)

Nathalias

Re: 2017 Hotel booking error log
« Reply #15 on: 16.01.2017, 15:29:31 »

How about collecting booking emails for one day then a lottery for the rooms? Would be less frustrating then this one... wasted 6 hours for nothing.

And how will it work with the waitng list for roms that will become free?

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: 16.01.2017, 15:31:55 »

A lottery is even more random. I'd say the people booking first should still get a room more likely then the ones after.

Maybe open the room booking and EF registration at the same time and send a link to the booking page with the confirmation email rather than posting it beforehand on twitter or the forums.
« Last Edit: 16.01.2017, 15:37:10 by NightHawk »

Nathalias

« Reply #17 on: 16.01.2017, 15:33:22 »

Even more random than this? At least it wouldn't take me several hours...

Vector

« Reply #18 on: 16.01.2017, 19:42:23 »

You can do multiple rounds of Hotel reg.

or

Making a waiting list & a lottery with rounds system : at least, everyone would get the SAME chance to get a room.
« Last Edit: 16.01.2017, 19:44:41 by Vector »
"I used to be an Eurofurence attendee like you, but then I took a Laden to the knee."

Bigwig

• Suitname: Shadowhunter
« Reply #19 on: 17.01.2017, 03:46:19 »

A lottery is even more random. I'd say the people booking first should still get a room more likely then the ones after.

How can it get more random than this:
- I started one second after regstart filled in EF page manually and got 916.
- I spent 100 min in the morning and failed my mate took a late shift and succeeded just by using the alternate link while I had to go to work.
- basically you have a score here, being in the right chat groups, getting hints from friends, automation of web-forms, pre-reg as a staffer
- interestingly sporting the fandom as a fursuiter, social behavior (3 people rooms) or sponsorship does not raise your chances to get a room
- so you have the random element and spent time and spent money: if you paid EF immediately and have to sell it for a big discount now.

Now the constructive part:
- force people to be social: build room groups, sell the rooms first week 3 people rooms (one per group), second week 2 people rooms...
- at least punish for holding rooms locked unnecessarily: charge a night one week after booking even if the room is returned (like FC)
- offer a refund on request for people loosing in the room lottery. It's questionable to punish them for simply paying too early.
- on the contrary you could be a convention with much more supersponsors when you grant them earlier room access at the next con...

I don't like the idea of paid lottery (even for charity). It's taking money from those getting no room in future even in big amounts for those
which hate to miss the next Con and still let it happen. And as soon as you go pure random you end with multiple amount of pure virtual
attendes selling their room possibly on a second market for rooms. And when rooms are not transferable then second beds of luckily won
rooms... In fact it could finance lucky newcomers the con.

Unfortunately there is little motivation to do something. Neither the hotel nor EuroFurence has a benefit for optimizing anything. You will
disappoint the same amount of furs whether you act or not, the applause of the same amount of furs will be not different at opening or
closing, likewise the Estrel will sell the same booking whether it acts or not and so we will hope for new secondary booking links passed
around when primary fail - take a day vacation for next booking day - and will wait for the new Estrel tower to open...

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #20 on: 17.01.2017, 10:47:53 »

Unfortunately there is little motivation to do something. Neither the hotel nor EuroFurence has a benefit for optimizing anything.

Well, Eurofurence is simply leaving the room admin to the Estrel because EF doesn't have the capacity to do it any more, and the Estrel used iHotelier to have a professional handle the rush.
Given that the Estrel is paying iHotelier for their service, you may assume that the provider will get an earful after completely mishandling/underestimating the issue. The Estrel has a reputation to uphold, so there is motivation galore. (Will iHotelier be up to the task next year? I sure hope so.)

Sadly, there is still luck needed to get a room in this hotel; even the new tower (once built) will not suffice forever, there are more potential attendees than space, unless we move to a pure conference center and leave booking hotel rooms completely to the attendees (losing the socializing opportunities of a single conference/room site, and most likely increase room prices a lot).

Sam T. Housecat

« Reply #21 on: 17.01.2017, 12:17:50 »

More constructive critique:

Issue reservations in batches that open every hour or even at different days, so that only a limited amount of people will access the reservation site at one moment:

- First people with special conditions, like wheelchairs, bad eyesight or other conditions that require them to be close to the con site or have a special room.
- Secondly the fursuiters. It's unpractical for them to rent a hotel at a number of kilometres distance, because they have to carry a lot of heavy stuff.
- Third batch: regular guests. I agree with the request to book for 2 or 3 guests per room.

Maybe more batches can be made; I would recommend having an open, democratic discussion about this so it's not just a 'management decision'. With due respect for the management; look at it from a positive angle: if people have a say in it and there is some consensus, the people will find the decision reasonable and will support it better.

Tsanawo

• Stage Tech
  • Stage Team
  • Silly Raccoon
    • DutchPaw
« Reply #22 on: 17.01.2017, 13:38:46 »

So in order to get a hotel room I need to check the box that I'm a fursuiter? Cunning. 8)

There is no way to check if someone is a fursuiter, I can claim to be one but transporting it caused trouble, or it's send back to the maker for last minute adjustments and I'm hoping to get it back during the con. And other excuses.

Also a batch system would not work, because what's stopping me from giving the batch code to my friend who is in the end of the queue?

ps.
This is my view on this, I am not speaking for EuroFurence.
If all the world’s a stage… I want better lighting!

Vector

« Reply #23 on: 17.01.2017, 13:39:20 »

Doing "few batches" was more or less the system used last year, during EF Reg night, each membership was manually processed and people got their link to book the room during the night and the day after : no problem with the website/booking system (and it was exactly the same server/website).

It helped spread the load on the system during a whole day.
"I used to be an Eurofurence attendee like you, but then I took a Laden to the knee."

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #24 on: 17.01.2017, 14:56:58 »

- Secondly the fursuiters. It's unpractical for them to rent a hotel at a number of kilometres distance, because they have to carry a lot of heavy stuff.
I bet my fursuits are still smaller than what some artists bring for the Artist Alley.
Us fursuiters already get a lot of support with the Fursuit Lounge. There is no need to carry the suit back and forth daily.

djem

• Stage Team
« Reply #25 on: 17.01.2017, 16:02:48 »

EF fursuit londge is way way way nicer then the one at US con's :)

Shakaar

« Reply #26 on: 17.01.2017, 16:07:19 »

I bet my fursuits are still smaller than what some artists bring for the Artist Alley.
Us fursuiters already get a lot of support with the Fursuit Lounge. There is no need to carry the suit back and forth daily.

Myself, also being a fursuiter, see an issue with the needing to define what counts as a Fursuit. Is it for only full suits, partial? Can someone claim to be a suiter if they wear a none full furry cosplay gear (which can be heavier) but that has ears and a tail (Anime style) Does that count?

As much as it would be nice to get an edge for being a suiter, there is too many ways people can get around just the definition of it.

On a possible solution note;

Being employed in the hotel business. I know many large groups booking conventions sometimes do all the room booking for the guests.
In EF's case, they would have a section in their registration to prebook the hotel at the same time. This would require the attendee to include all the names of their roommates and any special requests. EF Staff (Which would be it's own small crew) would verify and cross reference the registration information and build the room blocking. If there are any errors or inconsistencies their hotel bookings would be delayed until the crew can get the correct information from the attendees. Meanwhile the registrations whose information that matched get first slots and hotel rooms booked first.

This would give EF way more control, for example;
- Blocking party floors
- Fursuiter requirements like being roomed closer to larger elevators and fursuit lounge
- Den Vender needs; like being closer to den or near the closest elevator to the den.
- Have an option to accept "Random roommate selection", which helps fill in those little gaps and lets people have new friends.
- Sponsorship levels, may bump you to the head of the line?
- Etc.

At the end, the hotel would take that information and do a final blocking it to the best of their abilities in the zones described by the EF team.

Overall this puts all the accountability on the Furs who are registering to make plans with friends for sharing rooms and to have all thier information correct and accurate.
It reduces the "Mad rush" to book multiple rooms and over booking.
It lets the Con section off areas of the hotel to be more convenient for those attending.
The payment method needed to secure the room can be the one used to pay for your con passes.
And also allows the hotel an easier time to manage everything.

That's my thoughts from over here in Canada.
Sha'Kaar Thunderpaws

FluffyDog

« Reply #27 on: 17.01.2017, 17:08:07 »

Quote from : Jorinda

I agree with that Jorinda:-)

We are also 3 Fursuiter and booked us a room in the IBIS-Hotel.
The Suits leave us in the Suiterlounge not carry back and forth.  :)
« Last Edit: 17.01.2017, 17:10:17 by FluffyDog »

MartinRJ

• Forum Virtuelle Welten
« Reply #28 on: 17.01.2017, 17:12:41 »

Being employed in the hotel business. I know many large groups booking conventions sometimes do all the room booking for the guests.
From what I read, that's exactly what the EF staff doesn't want / can't do anymore.
This is a lot of work and responsibility, and we can't expect them to do all of that for us.
It also includes a not-so-insignificant financial risk for the people involved.

ANTIcarrot

• Loquacious pawpet show reviewer
    • FA - ANTIcarrot
« Reply #29 on: 17.01.2017, 20:42:03 »

Quote from : Jorinda
And I sometimes have trouble walking while carrying nothing due to medical issues. So... A dealers den artist, a fursuiter, and someone with medical problems all walk into hotel reception. There's one room left. Who gets it? This is the kind of question without an answer that most hotels would not want to get involved in, and which EF almost certainly doesn't want to get involved with.

Though... Come to think of it.... There might be something that some of us could do to alleviate this situation in the future...

Attention please! Attention please!

That huge building project to the south of the hotel is due to become a sunken highway at some point in the near future. And until they finish that, the Estrel can't start building their tower, and we can't get our extra 700 hotel rooms and bigger dealers den. Therefore could any German nationals annoyed with the hotel-room situation please consider writing to your MP (or equivalent) and/or the German Highways Agency (however that translates) and politely ask them to "Get on with it!"  ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up