The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 23 "Ancient Egypt" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 16-20, 2017Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netherlands and other nearby countries: plane or train?  (Read 136 times)

Sam T. Housecat

Hi there,

I'm wondering: what are the best travel options if you go by train or by plane? I don't like going by car and I'm looking for affordable alternatives for this 600 - 700 km trip. Can people recommend certain airlines? What about High Speed trains? Is a high speed trip from for example Rotterdam to Berlin (or comparable start locations in Europe) shorter or longer than an air trip _including_ check-in time, luggage pickup and other inconveniences? What about the price?

Are there people here from the Netherlands who take a train or a plane or do most of you go by car?

SouthPaw

Re: Netherlands and other nearby countries: plane or train?
« Reply #1 on: 24.03.2017, 19:58:01 »

Journey time by train from Rotterdam Centraal to Sonnenallee, as an example, is around 7 hours 15 minutes to 7 hours 30 minutes, the majority of which is spent on an IC between Amersfoort and Berlin Ostbahnhof.

You can book the entire journey in one go on the Deutsche Bahn website (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en gives the English version of the page and http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/nn gives the Dutch version). "Sparpreis Europa" tickets (valid only on the trains given on the itinerary, but changeable for a fee) start from 39 each way in 2nd Class, or 59,90 each way in 1st Class.
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Sam T. Housecat

Re: Netherlands and other nearby countries: plane or train?
« Reply #2 on: 25.03.2017, 15:01:42 »

Thanks for the info! I'll dig into it. Now I need someone who has experience with flying, and I can compare the price and travel time.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up