Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet access during the con  (Read 11977 times)

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83
Internet access during the con
« on: 05.08.2017, 10:44:45 »

As I remember from my previous attendances of EF, the internet in the hotel was available only to the guests of the hotel after you login with your room number (and for only one device at a time). Since I live in a different hotel this time, I'm thinking about the options of being able to stay online during the con.

What are my options? Should I get a mobile plan? What can I get as a foreigner? I heard there was some cool plan from T-mobile for 10Euro/month, but I'm not sure if they sell it to foreigners. Is there anything else I can do?
« Last Edit: 05.08.2017, 10:46:46 by OmniSable »
Enjoy the moment, yet keep going.

https://twitter.com/OmniSable

gummi_bjorn

• Video Team
    • my fa
Re: Internet access during the con
« Reply #1 on: 06.08.2017, 01:31:49 »

usually you can buy wifi access from the hotel, even if you dont live there.
so ask the hotel for the option.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #2 on: 06.08.2017, 14:02:13 »

International roaming has been made part of your bundle within the European Union.
So if you have a data bundle and data plan on a European carrier, then you can use it in Germany.

Aldi Talk internet plan is also very affordable if you do not already have a plan that supports the above.
In my experience, data plan (GSM based internet) is more stable then Wifi on that number of people simultaneously using it.

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83
« Reply #3 on: 08.08.2017, 18:38:08 »

International roaming has been made part of your bundle within the European Union.
So if you have a data bundle and data plan on a European carrier, then you can use it in Germany.

Awww, sadly, I'm not from EU,so it won't work for me 8(

Aldi Talk internet plan is also very affordable if you do not already have a plan that supports the above.
In my experience, data plan (GSM based internet) is more stable then Wifi on that number of people simultaneously using it.

Sounds like a good idea. I've googled and found their online registration form, but it implies delivery via mail, and that's too long to wait. Can I buy it in a store somewhere (I couldn't find the info about their stores anywhere)?
Enjoy the moment, yet keep going.

https://twitter.com/OmniSable

meo

« Reply #4 on: 08.08.2017, 19:42:20 »

Their "Stores" are the normal discounter called Aldi...you can find the next one at the McD when you are at the Estrel.

Santa fox

« Reply #5 on: 08.08.2017, 23:23:43 »

As mentioned, you can buy Wifi from the hotel, I believe it is about 20 Euro for a few days/A full 7 day week? Alternatively, try asking the lobby whether there are any public codes you can use, despite not being at the hotel. I did that the first year at the Estrel, since the regular connection didn't work.

Sheppy

• Nigga #1
  • Registration
  • Reg Team / BlackDude for everything ^_^
    • Sheppy
« Reply #6 on: 03.07.2018, 02:38:03 »

Since some ppl are still asking - here is a solution for 2018 ^_^

Since last year there is a new law in germany where you have to identify yourself when buying a prepaid card - luckily you can do that via a Videocall too (so that shouldnt be a problem)
But i suggest you get help by a german person for it - that makes it much easier because the manual is usually in german only ^_^
At EF should be enugh german ppl with a working Internet Connection you could ask to help.

Atm i would suggest to get a card from Lidl ... its easy and cheap.
The next Lidl is just 2 minutes from the Estrel.
If you take the 5GB Dataoption, you will pay 20€ in total (9,99€ for the Starterpack and 2x5€ to reload your account)
Because then you arent bonded to a wifi which might not work - but have data connection everywhere ^_^

You need to decide how many Data Traffic you will need.
1GB or 1,5GB or 3GB or 5GB ... you see in the attached list how much they cost ... i would go for the 3GB option because then you will defenitely have enough data (or if you know you need more go for the 5GB which will also be a allnet flat - for sms and telephone/as mobile phonecalls to german phone distributors)

So you go to a LIDL buy a "Starterpack" and pay 9.99 for the SIM itself. (it already has 10€ on its account!)

Depending on the Dataoption you choose - also buy enough cards to reload your prepaid account (5€, 15€ 30€ cards available afaik) (and dont forget that you already will have 10€ on that simcard)

Then you activate your simcard (here help from a german person would be great and you need to have your passport/ID card ready) --> at the third attached picture you can see if you need a passport or id card.

If its activated ... you type into your phone ... *100*reloadcode# (which will be on those cards to reload) and you should directly get a response ... usually via sms that the transaction was succesful

Then you can book that package you choosed (as you can see in the picture i attached)

Hope that helped
LG the Sheppyhusk ... ceeya at EF *wagwagwag*
« Last Edit: 03.07.2018, 02:46:46 by Sheppy »
Telegram - @ShishaSheppy
Twitter - @ShishaSheppy
Pages: [1]   Go Up