Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those damn speakers (and howling)  (Read 9660 times)

James The Dog

Those damn speakers (and howling)
« on: 18.08.2017, 10:48:50 »

I know the con's not even over yet, but I have to complain about those damn portable bluetooth speakers people are carrying around with them. I'm quite sick of them, they're so loud, you can't hear yourself think or have a conversation within about 10 meters of someone with them. There's so many of them, at one point yesterday I was surrounded by 4 of them and it gave me a headache. And to top it off, at 2:15 this morning, there was a group of people outside my room waiting for the lift playing one, and it woke me up, and when I opened the door telling them I was sleeping and asking them to turn it down, made them turn it up!

I wouldn't mind these things if people were respectful of others, but they aren't, then seem to want to think we all want to hear their music and play it really loud. And waking me up with one early in the morning was just the final straw.
« Last Edit: 22.08.2017, 02:01:01 by James The Dog »

James The Dog

Re: Those damn speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22.08.2017, 02:00:54 »

I'll add to this post because it happened again on the last night, this time even later about 3:45. The lack of consideration from some people is astounding.

Can I add the "howling" to this too? While it wasn't as bad as last year, it was still bad. Having that noise going into my ear from a large number of people genuinely gives me a splitting headache and causes me pain. Yet again it happened several times during the pawpet queue- something I can't get away from, without losing my place in the queue and possibly missing the event anyway.

And I get sick of arguing with the proponents of howling, saying that it's "fun" or "cute", or I should "expect it because I'm at a furry convention" (even though I never experienced it at the 18 or so conventions I attended before Zootopia came out and made it a thing). If it causes disruption and discomfort to other attendees, surely people should be considerate and not do these things?
« Last Edit: 22.08.2017, 02:04:16 by James The Dog »

Futeko

• Convention Security Operative
Re: Those damn speakers (and howling)
« Reply #2 on: 22.08.2017, 02:29:47 »

With regards to the bluetooth speakers - if someone is inconveniencing you with one, please politely ask them to turn it down, explaining how it causes you discomfort.
They most probably aren't aware of the trouble they are causing you, and I'm sure most will try to accommodate you (except some bad apples such as the one you pointed out).

If you find that discussing the issue with the person can't solve the situation, please don't hesitate to find/call security, which will do their best to sort the situation out.
This especially if people are using loud speakers outside your room at night, which they obviously should not do.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #3 on: 22.08.2017, 22:18:05 »

I didn't notice nearly as much howling this year as last year. Maybe one or two was all I caught? I don't see what EF could do about that except asking people to be respectful of other guests. It's exceedingly hard to stop people making noise like it by any other means that I can think of.
More is more.

Dhary Montecore

« Reply #4 on: 22.08.2017, 22:33:23 »

We are aware of the issue and we already told people to stop and turn it down many times this year. If this remains to be a problem we will take appropriate measures.

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #5 on: 23.08.2017, 01:47:17 »

I'll add to this post because it happened again on the last night, this time even later about 3:45. The lack of consideration from some people is astounding.

Hah, on Floor 2 in Wing 1 we had one or two groups who didn't know people tend to sleep at night and pretended to be a noisy heard of elephants almost every night while running around the hallway. Gladly it was quiet again once they found their room.
And yeah, these speakers are a little bit annoying and the howling is pretty painful in my ears as well when done in rooms with nice echo...

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #6 on: 23.08.2017, 13:25:54 »

We are aware of the issue and we already told people to stop and turn it down many times this year. If this remains to be a problem we will take appropriate measures.

Thank you! It got a lot quieter and bearable after you intervened, indeed.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 01.09.2017, 13:33:29 »

We're discussing a few additions to our rules of conduct, and an item about noise in public areas is definitely on our list.
yours,

Cheetah

woo

« Reply #8 on: 18.05.2018, 08:41:54 »

We're discussing a few additions to our rules of conduct, and an item about noise in public areas is definitely on our list.
Can this perhaps include sounds made by fursuit parts as well? I'm especially talking about MLP furs, who in the last few years seem to have some kind of competition on who can clop the loudest and annoy their surroundings the most. And since it's such a sharp noise, it's far more intrusive than the squeakers etc that some suiters have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up