Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF24 The elevator drama  (Read 15333 times)

Sheena-Tiger

• Convention Security Operative
    • Sheena-Tiger spielt! (German YT-LP)
Re: EF24 The elevator drama
« Reply #15 on: 29.08.2018, 20:17:42 »

Edit: The one thing we can work on is a faster and easier way to call security/report it when you noticed someone jumping in the elevator, no matter if it got stuck afterwards or not. As far as I know the security hotline didn't work and the button for calling them via the app was very well hidden in 3-4 submenus. This is something to work on, so we can at least do our part of solving the problem.
As for the hotline... yes, there had been some technical hickup and was announced as "not available" but it was fixed as quickly as possible considering the delicate technology involved. It was then announced as well, that it is fixed and available again.
Of course, I would not wonder, if it was buried between other information send out.

Schorse

« Reply #16 on: 29.08.2018, 20:41:14 »

In my opinion there are two solutions: People stopping jumping AND the Estrel replacing these elevators from the stone age or at least work at a serious improvement. I am no pro, maybe they are alreading doing as best as they can and use everything technology is able to do to reduce this problem. And let's face it: The amount of work the elevators have to do is different from other conferences/events, so the risk of something breaking is a bit higher. However, considering how little changes have been at other issues that are appearing for more than one year despite complains (dirty filter in the air conditioning, a broken lift for wheelchairs,..) I don't trust this theory without any doubt...

I've overheard a conversation with one of the Estrel guys and the elevator technician. He suggested that next year, one of the techs should get a room there during EF, so he can instantly fix the issues without delay.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #17 on: 29.08.2018, 22:15:04 »

We keep discussing the elevator situation and how to mitigate it with the hotel. Unfortunately, there is only very little room for improvement. All we can do is asking our attendees to keep the strain on the elevators as small as possible to minimize the outages.

Remember, the situation at our previous location wasn't that much better, and they opened the emergency stairs only after long discussions and thorough risk assessment. The Maritim Magdeburg usually has no door handles towards the room levels either, they installed those just for us and replaced them with the regular fixed knobs after the Eurofurence.

There are a couple of aspects to consider:

• Many stair cases end up in areas off-limits for hotel guests, such as offices and service areas
  • The Estrel has a completely different layout and fire protection concept than the Maritim Magdeburg
  • Fire protection regulations vary significantly between German states and even municipalities
  • Berlin regulations AFAIK forbid exits on any level except the one that provides a direct evacuation route

The last one is really important: several people died in the Las Vegas MGM Grand fire of 1980 due to trying to exit from the emergency stair cases to a smoke filled floor. That fire lead to re-assessments of fire codes internationally.

Do you really want to trade safety for convenience?
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #18 on: 30.08.2018, 04:41:49 »

I've overheard a conversation with one of the Estrel guys and the elevator technician. He suggested that next year, one of the techs should get a room there during EF, so he can instantly fix the issues without delay.

Wait, I thought that already was the case. Apparently not O.o

Ragear

• Pawpet Show
  • Ragear the Lion
« Reply #19 on: 30.08.2018, 19:06:18 »

I have bad news for you. The floor plans for the Estrel Tower show only 7 elevators that could be available to guests with 3 serving lower floors and 4 serving upper floors, with 50 floors. The Westin Pittsburgh has 26 floors and 5 elevators and they have legendary queues during Anthrocon. So even a decade from now when that beast is finally constucted, there will be too little elevator capacity for our comfort during EF.
what?? 4 Elevators for 45 floors or sth? oh holy shit that's going to take forever to get somewhere ... and probably no publicly accessible stairway, too (mustn't be a fire exit one)

timoran

« Reply #20 on: 30.08.2018, 22:53:53 »

• Berlin regulations AFAIK forbid exits on any level except the one that provides a direct evacuation route

It's odd that this is the regulation in Berlin, because in America the regulation is the opposite. It's forbidden to prevent someone in an evacuation stairwell from exiting at any floor, even floors that are normally locked, in case there is fire blocking the exit at the ground floor creating a trap in the stairs. The stairs may be locked normally for access control but the locks must open during a fire alarm.

This became a standard rule after a fatal event in Chicago. https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/76506-lessons-from-a-high-rise-fire-1

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #21 on: 31.08.2018, 00:24:43 »

The exit of the emergency stairs has to be in a different fire compartment, obviously.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

yotie

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Oilfield trash - EF Photoshoot Team
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 31.08.2018, 16:16:10 »

I have bad news for you. The floor plans for the Estrel Tower show only 7 elevators that could be available to guests with 3 serving lower floors and 4 serving upper floors, with 50 floors. The Westin Pittsburgh has 26 floors and 5 elevators and they have legendary queues during Anthrocon. So even a decade from now when that beast is finally constucted, there will be too little elevator capacity for our comfort during EF.
what?? 4 Elevators for 45 floors or sth? oh holy shit that's going to take forever to get somewhere ... and probably no publicly accessible stairway, too (mustn't be a fire exit one)

Dont stress too much about the amount of elevators in tower
The Tower will be "finished" when the Berlin airport will be "finished" too : p

(i also chuckled when i saw that this year they placed the model downstairs next to the garage entrance... like no longer proud of it anymore)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 11.09.2018, 13:08:40 »

And even if the elevators in the tower prove insufficient for furries wanting to joyride between 45 floors randomly ... we will have to deal with, since no amount of complaining will make magic beanstalk elevators grow from the ground :)
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up