Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: It's not possible for a regular attendee to reserve a Suite.  (Read 13262 times)

timoran

After asking around I have basically confirmed my hypothesis:

All regular guests who were lucky enough to book in the Estrel in the first place had no chance of receiving anything higher than a standard room.
The reason for this is that Eurofurence staff, and friends of the chairman who are not Eurofurence staff, receive early booking of guest rooms and they took 100% of the inventory of all premium rooms available. Even a few lower ranking Eurofurence staff who received early booking later on could not receive anything better than a standard room.

This is frustrating because that meant room parties were much less common this year since staff don't tend to host things like this (a few nicer staff members allowed roommates to use their suites for parties). I wonder if this is how it will be next year or if Eurofurence will consider limiting the inventory of premium rooms that staff may claim so that some are possible for guests to book instead.

yotie

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Oilfield trash - EF Photoshoot Team
    • Twitter

May i suggest you to become STAFF and help the con so you can "enjoy the perk" of early booking?

Staffers use their time and energy for everyone else at the con.

the reward is indeed seeing the happiness around by helping, but also "little" things like what you mentioned: to avoid even more stress...
Even knowing that, staffers may also race to get those rooms... theres so few of them.

you may still book those rooms at a different rate thru another website

Hai λ

• Internal Coordination
  • λ> Just $ "Eyo!" >>= replicate 2

I'm with EF staff and can't confirm your observations at all. The landrush that happens when the registration opens to the public is just unimaginable.

On top of that, are room parties not possible in non-suite rooms?
« Last Edit: 31.08.2018, 17:27:50 by Hai »
Embedded in the mud, glistening green and gold and black, was a butterfly, very beautiful and very dead.
Twitter | FurAffinity

Mryia

• Supreme Сasual Dating - Genuine Damsels

It doesn't make sense for staff members to book the big rooms. The unpaid(!) staffers are working hard to make the con run, all they want is a warm bed to rest.
Also, I met many regular guests with deluxe rooms or suites this year.

Next time, just be faster.

timoran

I'm completely skeptical of your claim. I asked every person who was staying in a suite and it was always either a staffer or a friend of the chairman who actually booked the room with early access. And I was 685 which is pretty fast.

karpour

• Charity
  • Roo!
    • ohnitsch

Let me assure you that most staff has regular rooms and it is possible to get suites.
The Estrel has 1,125 rooms. Assuming that almost everyone who registered early did so in order to book a room, half of the rooms were already gone by the time you registered. Rooms are gone quickly and first-come-first-serve is how it works and there will always be many people who won't get the room category they want.
Staff gets early access to rooms, because it turned out you need staff to run a con.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch

Every person? So who gave you the list of occupants of the 70 suites...?

Dude, be glad you had a room at the Estrel at all.

Suites were gone for Monday before the convention because we only had a very small room block for that day. I know several attendees who did not have a head start and managed to get a suite arriving Tuesday or Wednesday, as there were most suites left on start of registration. It's just that the hotel was booked solid after five minutes.

Maybe you'll have more luck next time.

(And to the wisecracks joining staff just for the early room reservation: we will make you work, because that's what you subscribed to.)
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

kalaallitamaroq

• Fursuit support

It doesn't make sense for staff members to book the big rooms. The unpaid(!) staffers are working hard to make the con run, all they want is a warm bed to rest.

Just a minor nit-picking. if you say "unpaid", it seems like we are simply doing it for free. Staffers actually PAY the regular confee, like normal attendees, and pay for the hotel room. Many pay even for sponsor or supersponsor (like me). We literally pay money to work during our vacations.

The only difference between Staff and regular attendees is that instead of enjoying the convention like normal attendees, we spend our time working for the attendees.
And yes, we have a guaranteed room. Because staff has to be present on site, surprise surprise. Without staff, you wouldn't have a con.

I felt necessary to specify this, because some people might think that staffers get in for free in exchange of their work. nope!

« Last Edit: 01.09.2018, 01:15:51 by kalaallitamaroq »

Alpha_Ki

• Dealers Den Supervisor
  • Dealers Den
  • Apfelwolf on duty
    • *art art art art art*

I know a lot of staffers who actually do run room parties. But they are mostly invite only.
And to be honest, I quite liked to see more people in the lobby to socialize a little. :)

Hai λ

• Internal Coordination
  • λ> Just $ "Eyo!" >>= replicate 2

Could you explain this "friend of the chairman" thing, please? Are you saying people get early reservations solely for being frietds with Cheetah? Could it be that they are friends with him _and_ their roomies are actually staffers? :)
Embedded in the mud, glistening green and gold and black, was a butterfly, very beautiful and very dead.
Twitter | FurAffinity

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
Re: It's not possible for a regular attendee to reserve a Suite.
« Reply #10 on: 04.09.2018, 01:06:46 »

FYI, I'm director level and roomed with another director level staffer in probably the smallest room the Estrel has to offer (not counting the inside of the Narnia wardrobe). We both consider ourselves friends with Cheetah, too.

*purrrr*

timoran

« Reply #11 on: 07.09.2018, 17:15:21 »

Could you explain this "friend of the chairman" thing, please? Are you saying people get early reservations solely for being frietds with Cheetah? Could it be that they are friends with him _and_ their roomies are actually staffers? :)

I don't want to get the person in trouble, so I won't name names; but I definitely found someone received early booking privilege to get their suite who is NOT Eurofurence Staff.

gummi_bjorn

• Video Team
    • my fa
« Reply #12 on: 07.09.2018, 22:42:23 »

hi, i'm staff and as such get to book a room early, i had a standard room and as kalaallitamaroq i paid not only for my room but as a supersponsor.
i'm sorry you did not get the room you wanted, but if the room really means so much to you. then join our staff and get the perk.
but by the sound of your post, i think you will regret this as you now have to work. instead of hosting room parties.
hope to see you again next year though! <3

timoran

« Reply #13 on: 11.09.2018, 08:31:04 »

hope to see you again next year though! <3

It's not likely you will, actually.

Twing Twang

« Reply #14 on: 11.09.2018, 12:58:56 »

It's not likely you will, actually.

Thank you for making it easier for other people to get a suite :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up