Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF 24 new lanyards - Rashes?  (Read 10848 times)

EchoesAbove

• Noodle Noodle
EF 24 new lanyards - Rashes?
« on: 29.08.2018, 22:59:19 »

Hello there!

First of all, I am aware that I might just have had bad luck.
However I'm not the type of person to easily develop allergies or rashes, so I wanted to ask around and see if maybe I'm not the only one.

The new lanyards looked AWESOME! I loved them from Day 1 and (naturally) wore them the entire day.
On Day 2 my skin was itching where the buckle in the back was, I didn't pay too much attention because I had seen the melted plastic edges and thought that it would go away soon. The same evening, I had a pretty horrified room partner staring at me asking what the hell I had done to my neck.
I had developed a big red rash with pustules all along my neck. Ofc I am a prepared Congoer and have soothing lotions with me, but it started to hurt as soon as I put some on it.

Needless to say, I switched to wearing the badge around my waist (which lead me to loose it once), and the rash disappeared just about as quickly as it had appeared. I didn't try wearing the badge again though.

Has anyone else had that issue? Or did I just have very bad luck this year?
I'm a noodle!

Sheena-Tiger

• Convention Security Operative
    • Sheena-Tiger spielt! (German YT-LP)
Re: EF 24 new lanyards - Rashes?
« Reply #1 on: 29.08.2018, 23:31:42 »

I definitely had not this happen to me, though I am curious about a detail.

Did you consider seeing the medics?
I wouldn't wonder if this might be a sign of an allergic reaction to something in the material of the buckle... some component not used in anything that had an extended contact with your skin (and due to the temperatures likely sweat as well) before and thus showed no sign of a developed or already existing allergy.

It is important to know if something like this happened, if possible right on site, maybe there is some investigation needed considering the materials used, at least if it happens more often.

EchoesAbove

• Noodle Noodle
« Reply #2 on: 30.08.2018, 00:18:28 »

No, I didn't go see the medics for it.
I had a rather unfortunate meeting with them this EF already, plus I felt that a simple rash that was pretty obviously caused by the lanyard (due to location, timing and lack of other triggers) was something that didn't need further attention, but only some soothing Lotion.
I'm a noodle!

Ghostbear

• high-maintenance
    • FA
« Reply #3 on: 30.08.2018, 08:24:42 »

Personally I had no problems with the new lanyards (yellow one, if it's maybe a question of the color)
Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with them :(

Lazer_Hyena

• Lazer's furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: 30.08.2018, 21:25:12 »

Thankfully I didn't have any issues either. I had a green one myself, not sure if that matters.

timoran

« Reply #5 on: 30.08.2018, 23:00:49 »

Not that it proves anything, but I suffer eczema and many skin allergies and had no trouble with this lanyard.

If you got really sweaty and the lanyard was pressed up against your skin with a bunch of sweat, that definitely will irritate the area.

Felfur

• perfectly patterned & spectacularly spotted
« Reply #6 on: 01.09.2018, 17:56:19 »

Purple one. No problems.
But I found the buckle very annoying at that position as it was kinda scratchy.
Maybe that was the reason for EchoesAbove? More or less sharp edges pressing into the skin and slightly moving all day?
(I understand it the reason the buckle is there in the first place and also at that position, but I'd prefer to have it more at the front near the hook. For the times its needed it'd make not so much of a difference)
Being feline is about attitude, not body shape. Gender is between the ears, not the legs. "To sweet" is not sweet enough for me.

EchoesAbove

• Noodle Noodle
« Reply #7 on: 02.09.2018, 19:25:03 »

Thanks for all the replies!
I had a green lanyard, and will probably try wearing it next weekend and see if I get a rash again. If I do I'll bug my doctor about it and see what he has to say about it =)
I'm a noodle!

Rishary

« Reply #8 on: 02.09.2018, 19:51:30 »

I had a green one and had a slight itch by the end of the con at the buckle area (Especially went sweating during the dances).

EchoesAbove

• Noodle Noodle
« Reply #9 on: 13.09.2018, 15:29:43 »

@sheena-tiger

As a last bit of feedback, the rashes returned upon wearing the lanyard again. I mentioned it to my physician and since the lanyard probably has a gazillion possible allergens and me not having had any issues with allergic skin reactions before, I should just avoid wearing them, which isn't a problem to me.
I'm a noodle!

amee2k

• Fursuit support
« Reply #10 on: 16.09.2018, 21:59:29 »

you could continue wearing the lanyard from a previous year, if you have one of the same or lesser color. Thats kinda what I keep doing anyway because i also wear it with my character badge to meets and smaller events as name tag. i just put a new conbadge on it every year :3

i have my fair share of allergies, but i got one of the "old style" lanyards again this year so i can't give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up