Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing service - yes or no?  (Read 5798 times)

Kris Husky

• Fursuit Entertainment
    • Furry FM
Framing service - yes or no?
« on: 25.12.2019, 09:25:59 »

Hello everyone,

For about a year now I have an idea stuck in my head.
I commissioned art a few years back. Traditional drawing. I had a problem with transporting it. Long story short: it slipped out of the sketchbook I placed it in and got all wrinkled. Took me several attempts to get the wrinkles out of the paper without damaging the picture.
I could have bought a frame. Yes. But the standard plastic frames are just boring. So I made a frame out of wood later at home. Last year upon looking at the framed picture I came up with the idea to offer a framing service at the EF. With handmade wooden frames.
Now the big question is: would any of you be interested such a service or handcrafted frames at all?
Don't worry, be Furry :3

"Live your life the way you want. Not the way other people want you to."

Token

• Convention Security Operative
  • *nom nom nom*
Re: Framing service - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: 31.12.2019, 01:54:59 »

Hard to answer - you should provide pictures!

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #2 on: 02.01.2020, 13:21:59 »

Considering the weight of a wooden frame, this may be an issue for people traveling by plane.

Kris Husky

• Fursuit Entertainment
    • Furry FM
« Reply #3 on: 13.01.2020, 05:45:55 »

Considering the weight of a wooden frame, this may be an issue for people traveling by plane.

That wouldn't be an issue. Wooden frames aren't that much heavier than then plastic ones.
Plus I would also use acrylic glas which is more durable while being light weighted.

Kris Husky

• Fursuit Entertainment
    • Furry FM
« Reply #4 on: 13.01.2020, 05:48:13 »

Hard to answer - you should provide pictures!

I will do in few. I am making some sample frames right now. For the visual input. Expect them within a month from now :)

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #5 on: 13.01.2020, 10:02:01 »

That wouldn't be an issue. Wooden frames aren't that much heavier than then plastic ones.
Plus I would also use acrylic glas which is more durable while being light weighted.

As a plane traveler, the other option would not be a plastic frame - it's a cardboard tube and no frame at all. -- When I still flew, I once bought a framed picture on a US furry con. It was framed - in the end, I had to leave the glass altogether (glass in luggage == not good idea), and the frame got damaged because it had to go in the checked luggage. In retrospect, it was a stoopid idea and I shouldn't have bought the thing at all.

Note that I don't say you shouldn't - there may be sufficient demand for smaller frames (carry-on luggage) or from people coming by car, therefore not being under luggage restrictions. I just say that frames are fairly inconvenient on planes.

Kris Husky

• Fursuit Entertainment
    • Furry FM
« Reply #6 on: 18.01.2020, 21:52:26 »

As a plane traveler, the other option would not be a plastic frame - it's a cardboard tube and no frame at all. -- When I still flew, I once bought a framed picture on a US furry con. It was framed - in the end, I had to leave the glass altogether (glass in luggage == not good idea), and the frame got damaged because it had to go in the checked luggage. In retrospect, it was a stoopid idea and I shouldn't have bought the thing at all.

Note that I don't say you shouldn't - there may be sufficient demand for smaller frames (carry-on luggage) or from people coming by car, therefore not being under luggage restrictions. I just say that frames are fairly inconvenient on planes.

I had the same trouble with the glass. I bought a picture at the Art Auction with a plastic frame and a thin glass panel. All went well or so I thought. I still find glass pieces in the suitcase.
That's why it would have acrylic glass instead of real glass. :)

I will still look for even more durable alternatives to glass and acrylic as that is my biggest concern.

Pages: [1]   Go Up