Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EF and Corona  (Read 13807 times)

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
EF and Corona
« on: 16.03.2020, 23:33:22 »

I don't think the Corona virus is gone overnight so here goes, what if the virus is still lingering when the con is coming in August, how to handle it with so many visitors? I sure hope the virus will be gone ofcourse by then or rather in a weakened state...

(I used the search option but as far as I can see there is no other topic about it...)

But what if the measures about limiting events are still in place, then what to do?
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

Eisfuchs

• Pawpeteer
  • Pawpet Show
    • Eisfuchs' Homepage
FUCHS - Seit 1972

MrEvers

• The dandy Belgian fox
    • FurryFandom.be
Re: EF and Corona
« Reply #2 on: 20.03.2020, 12:00:22 »

Kind of a lackluster response, tbh. Best to make contingency plans anyway
1. For the worst case scenario, you won't have to come up with a plan when it's too late.
2. Even if it isn't needed, it will help calm people who are panicking.
FurryFandom.be

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #3 on: 20.03.2020, 12:06:43 »

Kind of a lackluster response, tbh. Best to make contingency plans anyway
1. For the worst case scenario, you won't have to come up with a plan when it's too late.
2. Even if it isn't needed, it will help calm people who are panicking.
Fully agree, a big con such as EF MUST have some sort of Plan B imho.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #4 on: 20.03.2020, 18:35:13 »

Please be patient. The current situation is highly dynamic. There is no simple "plan B", but a complex process of identifying potential issues, estimating their potential impact, analyzing dependencies, and setting milestones for the issues to be either resolved or requiring alternatives. Organizing a large convention is already a sophisticated task in regular times, doing so in a global crisis of unknown duration and impact even more so.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #5 on: 15.04.2020, 21:00:11 »

In case anyone has missed our tweet:

The federal government of Germany has advised its states today (2020-04-15) to extend the ban on large events until August 31st. This has not been put into law by the state of Berlin yet. We are in close contact with all our business partners and will make an announcement as soon as we have confirmation on the situation.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

makogrey

« Reply #6 on: 16.04.2020, 04:01:33 »

I do have a question about this. I just got an email from the airline I was going to take a flight to Berlin saying my flight is canceled due to government advisories. can I still get a refund by any chance or rollover to next year hopefully along with the boat cruise that was on the night before hand.

VulpesRex

« Reply #7 on: 16.04.2020, 11:52:53 »

The wide range of response to the COVID-19 virus is frustrating.  Europe seems to take it more seriously than most of the USA.  While here it seems to be decimating the large cities of New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago, the populace at large seems to regard it as a terrible inconvenience, rather than a death-dealing plague.  Many people here are off-work due to their places of work being closed, but they are not necessarily staying IN their homes, which was the point of the thing.

Me?  I HAVE to work - Railroads AND Telecommunications have been deemed fields essential to the operation of civil society through the emergency, and I have a letter from the Federal Government attesting to that and asking for police to allow me through lines of closure when on railroad business, in my railroad vehicle.  But so far, here in California at least, there is no Public Safety or Law Enforcement strategy aimed at enforcing Do-NOT-TRAVEL requests.

So far - Biggest Little Fur Con (BLFC) in Reno has been put off until at least Fall; and BABSCon, the MLP:FiM convention for San Francisco, has been cancelled for this year, resulting in automatic membership transfers to be issued for next year (BABSCon 2021).  The Hyatt Hotel cancelled my reservation, without any penalty.

I'm still hoping for Anthrocon to take place, I think it will; the City of Pittsburgh and the VisitPittsburgh hospitality service have been doing their best to keep AC up-to-date and in the loop, but who knows how the situation and conditions turn in the next two weeks.

I am sure that EF will do the best they can, when they finally get a clear picture from city/state authorities on what the future holds; No doubt if things come to EF just being unable to take place at the Estrel on our planned dates, they will come up with a reasonable compromise - bearing in mind that not just EF, not just the Estrel, but the whole of the Hospitality and Convention Industries have suffered major business upsets over the situation.  In short - EF (and by extension, WE) are not alone.

By the way - as I mentioned, I work for a major railroad in the USA.  How has the European rail transport system, particularly DB, been affected by the current rules?
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Schorse

« Reply #8 on: 16.04.2020, 12:28:54 »

By the way - as I mentioned, I work for a major railroad in the USA.  How has the European rail transport system, particularly DB, been affected by the current rules?

They finally managed to arrive in time now.
But yeah, they did cut down on lots of the connections. Traveling is only wanted to go to work, shopping or other urgent reasons. It's not completze forbidden, but they really appeal to you.

Abandon Ambition (formerly "Zelaphas")

• Abandon Ambition
« Reply #9 on: 16.04.2020, 15:46:09 »

The wide range of response to the COVID-19 virus is frustrating.  Europe seems to take it more seriously than most of the USA.  While here it seems to be decimating the large cities of New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago, the populace at large seems to regard it as a terrible inconvenience, rather than a death-dealing plague.  Many people here are off-work due to their places of work being closed, but they are not necessarily staying IN their homes, which was the point of the thing.

[...]

I'm still hoping for Anthrocon to take place, I think it will; the City of Pittsburgh and the VisitPittsburgh hospitality service have been doing their best to keep AC up-to-date and in the loop, but who knows how the situation and conditions turn in the next two weeks.

I'm a former Chicagoan now living in France. I have Anthrocon and Eurofurence still on my calendar this year as a dealer. And I can tell you, I agree that this disparity between US and Europe responses is frustrating.

Americans don't have the same labor protections that many Europeans do. I'm greatly simplifying things, but most businesses/governments are already required to have ~5 weeks vacation leave and extended sick leave or unemployment baked into the cost of hiring each employee. So while it hasn't been perfect, the European response has been to largely tap into those already existing social safety nets while they demand people stay at home and not work. So again, it hasn't been perfect, additional stimulus has been needed in many cases, and there's still a negative economic impact (-12% in France last I heard), but most Europeans were already protected for something like this. If you're already protected from instant homelessness/starvation, you're more likely to be willing to comply with stay at home and social distancing orders.

In the US, there's no government mandated sick or vacation leave, it's difficult even in prosperous times to qualify for unemployment insurance, access to healthcare is mostly done through health insurance provided by your employer, and most states have "at will" employment laws meaning you can walk into work on Tuesday and discover you've been let go from your job with zero notice and zero pay/severance package. And the millions of people working in restaurants and bars for a lower minimum wage than others (like $2.50/hr in some states) relying on tips to pad out their regular income are especially screwed. To have the government suddenly shut down huge swaths of the economy and demand everyone stay home when people have no sick/vacation leave, no severance pay, near-impossibility of getting unemployment insurance, and having their healthcare cut off, when so many Americans already can't afford a $500 unexpected emergency, is an especially painful blow. I can understand (but disagree) why so many Americans are desperate to just ignore the virus and get everyone working again. Work is the only thing most Americans even have.

The disparity in approaches is actually why I'm really hoping Anthrocon gets cancelled and there's still travel bans across the Atlantic (so I can get a refund on my flights). I had planned to be a dealer at AC this year and combine the trip with a visit to my folks whom I haven't seen in nearly two years. So I'm extremely upset to cancel all that, but at this rate, even if I were able to go (as a US citizen I'm allowed to return to the US whenever I want, assuming I can get a flight...), they may mandate that I be quarantined upon arrival for 2 or more weeks, which would prevent me from going to Anthrocon and cut my visit with family down to less than a week. Then I'd likely have to be quarantined getting back to France, which, if my husband joined me, would cut into the leave he'd already take for the US trip, meaning it'd likely be unpaid leave at that point, and with my income getting hit by event cancelations and being unable to ship purchases in my online shop due to most French post offices being closed, we'd come home with only lots of time lost in quarantine, no income from Anthrocon, and tighter belts for the rest of the year.

A bit of a rant on my end here but yeah, this whole situation sucks for everyone. To be clear, I'm not upset with the fact that we have to be locked down or unable to travel, and I'm not upset with whatever responses convention staff need to make to all this. They're doing their best and I can recognize what's necessary. It's just ruined the planning and incomes and family reunions of so many people. So it's unfortunate.
See more of my art and join my journey at https://patreon.com/abandonambition

makogrey

« Reply #10 on: 16.04.2020, 17:59:00 »

All flights leaving Canada are cancelled till the fall at the earliest. I work in the food industry and were doing a daily medical check before entering the building. As some people have been sent home with a fever as there not allowed to enter the building. I just hope everyone ok during this time and stays safe. Hopefully I can come next year and now I've been rearranging my plans to maybe go to Fur Apocalypse in October 

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #11 on: 21.04.2020, 00:41:44 »

So far 3 states set their event limit to 1000 attendees. We can expect other states following that example.
It's sad, but for the best.

Read and saw enough to know that I never want to have Covid19.
It causes permanent damage to the lungs, leaving you unable to do anything exhausting, maybe even unable to fursuit. Simply because you don't get enough oxygen into your body anymore. I know that kind of feeling alread thanks to another condition I had to deal with a while ago and I definitely don't want to have it again.

ANTIcarrot

• Loquacious pawpet show reviewer
    • FA - ANTIcarrot
« Reply #12 on: 21.04.2020, 23:20:37 »

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/covid-19-klinik-im-hotel-estrel-berlin-plant-weitere-corona-behandlungszentren/25700498.html

Berlin is currently looking at using the Estrel as a COVID-19 treatment centre. Makes sense. Good transport facilities. On site facilities for staff and volunteers. And plentiful free space in the congress centre.

It doesn't exactly look promising for us at the moment.

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #13 on: 21.04.2020, 23:25:43 »

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/covid-19-klinik-im-hotel-estrel-berlin-plant-weitere-corona-behandlungszentren/25700498.html

Berlin is currently looking at using the Estrel as a COVID-19 treatment centre. Makes sense. Good transport facilities. On site facilities for staff and volunteers. And plentiful free space in the congress centre.

It doesn't exactly look promising for us at the moment.
I still think EF will pull the plug for this year. It's sad, I know...  :'( :-[

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #14 on: 22.04.2020, 04:29:54 »

Kulturelle und sportliche Großveranstaltungen in Berlin mit mehr als 5.000 Teilnehmern bleiben wegen der Corona-Krise bis zum 24. Oktober verboten. Veranstaltungen mit mehr als 1.000 Teilnehmern dürfen bis 31. August nicht stattfinden.

https://www.rbb24.de/politik/thema/2020/coronavirus/beitraege_neu/2020/04/berlin-senat-corona-lockerungen-massnahmen-maskenpflicht.html

As expected, Berlin bans events with more than 1000 attendees until august 31. and these with more than 5000 until october 24. Now it's offiicial.
So yeah, see you next year then. :/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up