Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 20595 times)

Barney

• My Livejournal
Who are you?
« on: 18.04.2008, 15:11:52 »

I've been in the furry fandom for about a year now and I've seen a lot of furs running around at EF13. I wonder though how some of them got their names. So here's my question for you: how did you get the name for your fursona?

For me, the name Barney does not come from the dinosaur with the same name, but from Barney Calhoun, the protagonist from Half Life: Blueshift.
A box of chocolates is like a fursuit, you never know what's inside...

BlackWolfFenris

Re: Who are you?
« Reply #1 on: 18.04.2008, 15:32:55 »

Chatted a lot a few years ago and we made feral rp. So we called our pack "Black Wolves" ... and Fenris is from Fenrir in the germanic mythology ^^

Honey

« Reply #2 on: 19.04.2008, 02:26:57 »

Honey comes of Honeymoon.

I chose the name because i like its double meaning.

I can be sweet as honey and i sure AM a honey ;)

Vendace

« Reply #3 on: 19.04.2008, 04:56:25 »

Mine's from a book I read some time ago, one of the Redwall books. "The Bellmaker" if I remember correctly. Vendace was a minor character (He had like one, maybe two apperences before getting killed.) A couple years later, the name popped into my head again ^_^

Lokosicek

• Lokosicek at WikiFur
« Reply #4 on: 19.08.2008, 15:03:16 »

Time to revive this topic :) Crossposted from my LJ:

Lokosicek's name isnt directly associated with his discovery of furry fandom, but it does has a hidden animal in it. It started 9 years ago at high school, where my classmates came to me one day and asked, whether they could call me Sokol (meaning falcon in Czech). I thought its a nice nickname and agreed. Over time they started to call me by its variations, such as Sokolik (small falcon, read as Soh-Koh-Leek), or Sokolicek (VERY small falcon, read as Soh-Koh-Lee-Check). I kinda got used to the name. Then one day I wanted to create my second email, so I chose yahoo.com to host it. The names Sokol, Sokolik, and Sokolicek were already taken by someone else, so I said to my self "what the heck?" and made an anagram of the Sokolicek. Through this, Lokosicek was born (read as Loko-See-Check). One and half year later I accidentaly found the furry art and furry fandom while looking for photos of ligers. And so my journey began...
Phantom of LiveJournals and EF forums...

Super Swede

• The horse is watching you!
« Reply #5 on: 04.09.2008, 15:11:10 »

My username on internet had always been SuperSwede, and when I came into the furry fandom I couldn't come up with any good fursona name so I just kept Super Swede, and I can't bring myself to change it, cause it's the nickname people have come to know me by :P
May the horse be with you!

Stripe Kazama

• It's a me! Stripey!
« Reply #6 on: 04.09.2008, 15:28:11 »

I don't really know how I got the name Stripe >.<, but I got the lastname Kazama from a character from videogame called Tekken. My fursona has some recemblances from a certain character from there.

He's got the same wings, pants and a certain mark on him.
Hug The Tiger And Get A Free Lollipop.

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #7 on: 04.09.2008, 17:13:49 »

Quite some time ago I got my hands on "Click & Play" - a tool with which you can create small programs or games. I toyed around with it and my good friend Grahir thought that we should make something "bigger" so we started to create "deep space fight" a sidescroller type of game with different levels, different kinds of scrolling etc.

The game featured a hostile alien race which was written "Nifelan" but spoken out differently. Some time later we created DSF 2 which introduced yet another alien race - the Toshan.

My old online nick wasn't that interesting any more (also because of an umlaut) so I tired to register my account at the msn gaming zone with the nick "toshan" - which was already taken so I went back to "nifelan" - which was free wherever I used it.

So that's how I got stuck with "nifelan" which has become some kind of second name for me and less of a nickname. The pronounciation was kept like it originally developed. So far I haven't met anyone who got it right the first time without having someone else tell them how to pronounce it ;)
The lower case writing is something I'm pretty picky about ;)

I've added another nick urbanhusky for other purposes that are less of a personal nature (e.g. a more serious review-related blog) - some of you might have seen me running around with a black shoulder bag with "URBANHUSKY" written on it.
I was husky before it got trendy

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #8 on: 04.09.2008, 19:29:56 »

My name history is actually very mundane...

I was "tiger@change.gun.de" in an XP BBS (that's CrossPoint for all you youngsters), in the early nineties. I was Tiger in computer games, and I was Tiger on LAN parties.

However, it's kind of a common name, you know. :D

So when playing Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, I realized that TIGER or TYGR looked stupid on those wide 7 Character license plates. Thusly, THYGRRR was born, a sufficiently individualized variant.

I was always connected to tigers somehow, so it stuck and carried over to my Furry life when I discovered the fandom; though some may know me as Zalthers Tawnstripe or Ragfoks Greyswift from my Furscape days.

A little less mundane: I have and occasionally use several last names, "Altaica", which is obsolete, and "Darkfurre", which is also obsolete (I still use them, nonetheless, haha!). The former is simply the subspecies designation for siberian tigers, the the latter emerged some 8 years ago in a bout of depression. I'm also the blue Thygrrr Talaj on Second Life, although I don't really log on anymore. But the third last name kind of grew on me, because Altaica (saintly), Talaj (virtual) and Darkfurre (brooding) each mark a very distinctive phase in the development of my personality.

Damn, so that ended up like a really convoluted mess of a post, haha!

@Lokosicek: I love your story and the sound of your name. And I like your avatar. =^_^=
« Last Edit: 05.09.2008, 20:28:30 by Thygrrr »
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Moutos Woofidis

• Saint Bernard canine morph in glorious blue!
    • My user page at FurAffinity
« Reply #9 on: 04.09.2008, 22:37:55 »

I bark, that's quite a few names you had there, puttytat! :D

My name comes from a misphrase of my hy00man name, and my surname is made of "woof" and an ending common in Grik surnames ("-idis").  It was a good way to indicate my locality! :D  Incidentally, this ending has the same meaning as "Mac" in Scottish or "-son" in Scandinavian names.  So I'm the son of Woof! *wagwagwag* ;D

Search engines (or at least Google) indicate that this surname is unique to me.  But the name appears as a... surname... also one of two words that mean "bogeyman" in Grik... ;D
I LICK YOU FURRY MUCH!!! *SLURP DROOL SPLOTCH!*

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #10 on: 05.09.2008, 10:10:41 »

Well, as I'm often asked how the hell I came up with my nick, I might as well chime in. ;)

It was on a sunny afternoon in May 1998 when little me had to come up with a nick for FurryMUCK. Constraints: Sufficiently unique. Sooo.. grabbed a dictionary and thought of two uncommon words to jumble: gyroscope and Hansaplast (plaster/medical supplies brand). There you go. Simple! Got nothing at all to do with foxes, but who cares!

And no, I do NOT have a plastic or rubber fetish, nor am I consisting of either. That's just something I play along with usually for shits and giggles. :)

That name stuck with me ever since, albeit "Gyro" (or Gy, as in 'guy', for the *really* lazy ones) is an all time favourite contraction. Unfortunately it's not entirely unique anymore, as some company from Duisburg seemingly uses a substance of the same name in their car cleaning products. Oh well.

And off,
  Gyro
Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

MarityS

« Reply #11 on: 03.02.2009, 21:31:55 »

Hehe... mine's simple... just the color "Cyan" (hex 0x00FFFF ) and add "Fur" to it... Cyan Fur :D
my surname Moana comes right off SecondLife, as i had/have a old alt of mine running there what had "Moana" as Surname :P

Basically i took the name because i thought that the word "Moon" is in there somewhere, but somefur pointed out that it looked more like the word "Moan" XD

So, that's how i got my name..

P.S.: My current SL name is CyanFur Kyomoon  (look, it that 'moon' again!).. and oh, i still have some old alt (about 6!) that i don't use anymore, even some who i can't even delete!!

Aestir

« Reply #12 on: 04.02.2009, 07:17:44 »

Aestir came from the name I used a long time as werewolf: Aestirama,  I translate it to: He who watches the eagles fly

So basically Aestir means Eaglewatcher
« Last Edit: 04.02.2009, 07:23:16 by Aestir »

VirtualFox

• Nortec Labs: Virtual Content Engineering
« Reply #13 on: 05.02.2009, 07:59:01 »

VirtualFox...
Virtual-Fox
sorta self explanatory.

Originally my character was ... well.. a fox. before i turned him into a tiger/fox. Since it was my internet handle, i decided to use the term "virtual" infront of the "fox". Thus,
Virtualfox :D

... well.. not really that unique, but fitting :P. Possibly gonna use a different alias. but im guessing ill stay with this :D

Terril

• Furtastic 4
    • Furtastic
« Reply #14 on: 05.02.2009, 14:00:35 »

I like a name to be slightly unique, while not nessesarily haveing a meaning. Terril just popped up into my head when i was thinking of a good alias. Its short and direct and quite easy to pronounce. Unfortunetly it sounds like crap in my own language, hehe.  ::)
The world is a big and dangerous place.
We'd better stick together.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up