Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF27 hotels 101 [unofficial]  (Read 3677 times)

Cubitus

• Charity
EF27 hotels 101 [unofficial]
« on: 01.03.2023, 15:47:03 »

Hi all!

I'd like to start sharing experiences and learnings related to EF27 hotel bookings. This is not an official information and I hope everybody will contribute their tips!

🇬🇧
  • Intercity Hotels Hacks
    There are at least considerably close to CCH: Dammtor (fully booked), Hauptbahnhof (1 stop /2 minutes on the S-Bahn) and Altona (3 stops / 8 minutes)
    If you consider booking: forget the hotel booking platforms. Become a 'H rewards' member on https://hrewards.com/ and book there.
    Not only that the prices are usually cheaper than all platforms including all promos, but you will also get a free public transport ticket for the time of your stay, and also qualify for 6-10% discount for your next stay(s) in the next 12 months (including next EF :)
    (If you already booked via booking.com etc.: you won't get most/all of the benefits, and you can't rebook with the H rewards rate, sadly. I recommend to never cancel reservations at 'sold out' hotels if you want to have a room there ;)
  • Generator Hostel Saver tips
    The Generator Hostel at Hamburg Hauptbahnhof is 1 Stop away from CCH and offers everything from double rooms to 8-bed shared rooms, starting at 42€ per nose and night (for the 8-bed rooms), and has a very flexible booking system. If you subscribe for the newsletter first (they throw this massively at you) you save another 5%.
    Rooms of all sizes are available.

🇩🇪
  • Intercity Hotels Hacks
    In der Nähe des CCH finden sich 3 große IC Hotels: Dammtor (ausgebucht), Hauptbahnhof (1 Station / 2 Min mit der S-Bahn) und Altona (3 Stationsn / 8 Min)
    Falls ihr hier buchen wollt: benutzt keine Buchungsplattformen, sondern meldet euch als "H rewards"-Mitglied an (https://hrewards.com/) und bucht dort. Warum?
    Einerseits sind die Preise hier meist günstiger als über die Plattformen (egal mit wieviel Aktionen und Cashback geworben wird), andererseits bekommt ihr ein ÖPNV-Ticket für die Dauer des Aufenthalts und erhaltet als Reward für Aufenthalte ab 3 Nächten (bzw. mit mehreren Zimmern) Rabatte für die Zukunft (also z. B. für die EF nächstes Jahr :)
    (Solltet ihr über booking.com & schon gebucht haben, gibt's diese Vorteile leider nicht, und die Buchung lässt sich auch nicht nachträglich ändern. Checkt, ob ihr evtl. über das bahnbonus-Programm noch Vorteile wie das ÖPNV-Ticket erhalten könnt! Ich rate aber davon ab, eine Reservierung bei einem ausgebuchten Hotel zu stornieren, wenn ihr euer Zimmer dort nicht riskieren wollt.)
  • Generator Hostel für Sparfüchse/-wölfe/-drachen/-...
    Das Generator Hostel ist direkt am Hauptbahnhof, 1 S-Bahn-Station vom CCH entfernt und bietet vom Doppel- bis zum 8-Bett-Zimmer jeder Fusselgruppengröße Unterschlupf. Preise ab 42€ pro Nase und Nacht (im 8er Zimmer) und sehr flexible Buchungsoptionen. Vorher den Newsletter bestellen (die Popups sind aufdringlich genug) spart weitere 5%.
    Derzeit sind noch alle Zimmergrößen zu kriegen
« Last Edit: 01.03.2023, 16:19:41 by Cubitus »

winterheart

Re: EF27 hotels 101 [unofficial]
« Reply #1 on: 01.03.2023, 19:46:41 »

When I looked at the hotels the congres hall suggested as the closest one (100m distance) they suggested me this one:

I don't understand how one can even book for a full month O.o I looked the moment we knew the location so it was not that it was booked full, I don't get what is wrong with that hotel honestly.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #2 on: 01.03.2023, 22:19:13 »

I don't understand how one can even book for a full month O.o I looked the moment we knew the location so it was not that it was booked full, I don't get what is wrong with that hotel honestly.

Most hotels have a long term stay contingent. It's just a bit peculiar that the Radisson offers it via the regular booking page. In this case it means there are no regular rooms available for booking via their booking system.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Cubitus

• Charity
« Reply #3 on: 01.03.2023, 22:21:03 »

I don't understand how one can even book for a full month O.o
Well you can book a hotel for as long as you wish and pay for, and congress (and other) hotels sometimes reserve a room contingent for long-term bookings (like employees sent over for a project etc).

This is why the hotel tells you: sorry, we full for all the short-term rooms (the Radisson will be booked by attendees of other events too, not only those connected to CCH but also to Hamburg Messe. So the MARINE INTERIORS fair followed by the CRUISE DAYS are dragging many people internationally, of which quite many will already arrive during the last days of EF sadly).

Same applies to the Intercity Dammtor (which is just opposite side of the park) and the Wagner Hotel im Dammtorpalais. Just fully booked, probably because often used by businesses and not only by EF folks. 
« Last Edit: 01.03.2023, 22:26:36 by Cubitus »

winterheart

« Reply #4 on: 02.03.2023, 00:08:06 »

Well then I guess this is farewell.
No close hotel means people with a disability are somewhat hindered compared to previous venues.
I can't possibly come this way.
It's the same reason I don't go to large american con's because of the same hotel problem.

Cubitus

• Charity
« Reply #5 on: 06.03.2023, 08:59:04 »

No close hotel means people with a disability are somewhat hindered compared to previous venues.
Would you tell more about this to help us learn, would it mean "the Con has to be in the hotel directly" because all other wouldn't work for you?

It's easy to say "all public transport is barrier free and transfer paths are really short", but I guess this, from a non disability perspective, is just "wishful thinking".

After all, one hotel is directly connected to the con space in Hamburg (Radisson), the thing is only that it's currently fully booked/reserved. I could imaging that many people hold reservations without even haven't regged for EF yet, but nobody knows (for 2023).

Would it be senseful effort for EF (and other Cons) to reserve a room contingent for disability folks, or would it be useless if there still is a 50 meter transfer from Hotel exit to CCH entry needed? I mean this could even be less than from the first Estrel tower to the first Con checkpoint in the past...

Hoping for input!
Cubitus

winterheart

« Reply #6 on: 07.03.2023, 20:43:45 »

I have very little visibility while in fursuit therefore crossing public streets in suit is dangerous for me, dragging a suitcase with the suit to change in the fursuit lounge would demand too much from my blood sugar levels and because of other disabilities walking a lot has become more difficult.
Therefore the previous hotel, which I understand is no longer an option, was ideal, as well as all the hotels that were before that.
I went to american cons (anthrocon) and suffered such fate of having to walk about 300 - 400m from / to the hotel - con area, because the westin was booked full too. This resulted in the fact I could only suit once, and the con area was literally so big it felt more like a marathon than a vacation.

Same thing happened in MFF though there I had the safety of walking across the skybridge, so even with low visibility I would not be in danger, only the problem of heat and low blood sugar and skin chafing caused by walking more than my body would allow me to.

Cubitus

• Charity
« Reply #7 on: 08.03.2023, 08:56:30 »

Thank you for sharing these insights winterheart!

It helps me learning about how transfers/routes/walk paths to the Con space could work better!

Cubitus
Pages: [1]   Go Up