Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time-lapse  (Read 13603 times)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
Time-lapse
« on: 20.06.2008, 23:43:44 »

If you happen to be from America, and you think hopping into that rental car and just driving out to the con because you do it all the time at home and you think the 500-something km road trip is peanuts compared to the way to the chemist's and it's just rural freeways anyways and you feel absolutely confident that you can drive for several hours after that twelve hour flight through eight time zones, there's this video that proves you wrong.  ;D

[youtube]GEMUgOSvyCc[/youtube]
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

agrajag_fur

Re: Time-lapse
« Reply #1 on: 18.08.2008, 14:15:54 »

I love that expression and I know the source: "that's just peanuts to..."

K9Primate

« Reply #2 on: 19.08.2008, 12:38:21 »

Well indeed, I can assure you, it is as the Germans would say anstrengend.
A much safer solution is to travel with someone local, or if that fails indeed a taxi.
Furcode: FCM3df A--- C+ D H+ M- P+ R+ T+ W--- Z Sm RLAT a++ c e f- h* i+ j* p- sm+

Avalanche

• Arctic Wolf
« Reply #3 on: 19.08.2008, 17:28:35 »

I prefer this one, but its only 142km, not 1000km. But at 4:28, the hill on the right in the far distance is actually the Ringberg hidden in the clouds :) And haha at the guy getting done for speeding at the junction with the motorway at Suhl where people turn off for EF :).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r_n1-rOh-c[/youtube]
« Last Edit: 19.08.2008, 17:30:23 by Avalanche »

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #4 on: 06.09.2008, 02:17:13 »

Haha, owned!

Actually that 2nd video is EXACTLY my way to Suhl from Würzburg :-)
« Last Edit: 06.09.2008, 14:46:55 by Thygrrr »
Thygrrr Darkfurre

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #5 on: 06.09.2008, 11:54:31 »

I have my driving licence since January, and hadn't been on any big trips (no further than 100 km) before EF. And I can say I didn't really have any trouble driving. In fact I like German roads a lot more than Dutch ones! So any scary stories are likely unfounded or at least exaggerated, if even a noob like me can do it.
Join #eurofurs on anthrochat.net! Everyone is welcome!

Super Swede

• The horse is watching you!
« Reply #6 on: 06.09.2008, 15:52:48 »

Epic! ^_^

I'm not überfond of german roads, when comparing them to swedish roads they feel rather nasty :P
May the horse be with you!

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #7 on: 06.09.2008, 19:29:57 »

The only thing scary about them is probably the speed. But as long as you have some common sense while driving, it's not that bad. Just stick to the right except when overtaking, and if you're on the left, move into the right if a faster car wants to pass. The same applies on 3-lane roads, except that the really fast cars just stick to the left lane.

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #8 on: 06.09.2008, 22:17:12 »

The only thing scary about them is probably the speed. But as long as you have some common sense while driving, it's not that bad. Just stick to the right except when overtaking, and if you're on the left, move into the right if a faster car wants to pass. The same applies on 3-lane roads, except that the really fast cars just stick to the left lane.

Having read that, I managed to push my car to 180 kph and still saw someone willing to take me over... After that speed 80 kph looks like a snails pase.
A box of chocolates is like a fursuit, you never know what's inside...

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #9 on: 07.09.2008, 00:24:00 »

I drove at 110-120 km/h on average and I had no trouble with faster cars. Only a few that would flash their lights for me to get out of the way, but as I was overtaking, they just had to wait.

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #10 on: 07.09.2008, 00:31:11 »

Having read that, I managed to push my car to 180 kph and still saw someone willing to take me over... After that speed 80 kph looks like a snails pase.
160-180km/h is my usual driving speed on the Autobahn (and that's both what my car and me is able to do). Am completely fine with moving right when faster people come, which happens frequently - as long as there is space on the right/middle lane, and I'm not significantly faster than them if not (which would need me to hit the breaks). Otoh, if people come with lights flashing I might suddenly remember there was a speed limit... ;)

Of course the 'average speed' as reported by my car is around 110km/h

*purrrr*

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #11 on: 07.09.2008, 00:52:58 »

Yeah if you and your car can handle that kind of speed, then go for it if you don't care for the extra fuel consumption. But I was driving a 1992 Peugeot 205 1.1L so if I pushed it too hard I was afraid to make it explode or something. :P

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: 07.09.2008, 01:23:15 »

Yeah if you and your car can handle that kind of speed, then go for it if you don't care for the extra fuel consumption. But I was driving a 1992 Peugeot 205 1.1L so if I pushed it too hard I was afraid to make it explode or something. :P

Yeah, and I found out that my car turns into a gasguzler at 180 kph... all of a sudden this orange light would go on indicating that either I go to a pump or I go to a painfull halt within 30 kilometers...
A box of chocolates is like a fursuit, you never know what's inside...

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #13 on: 07.09.2008, 02:34:40 »

Mine got to EF and back (1100-1200 km total) with 90-95 euros, which means about 18-19 km/l, doing 115 km/h average. That's very efficient, so the lower speed really is worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up