Eurofurence Information > Feedback

Honest Opinion of EF 16

<< < (21/29) > >>

Bostitch:
My first EF again since EFX, and first off, thanks to all the staff for a wonderful event, I hope I will be able to make it as a regular attendee in the future.

By page 7, almost everything has been said already (and I only read up to 3), but I'd just like to share my pov. I've been employed in F&B in various hotels in Amsterdam and Schiphol, and the prices which everyone is complaining about are indeed too high for a youth hostel crowd - but they are pretty standard prices for a business hotel, which is what we were staying at. I read in a reply that the staff will take it up with hotel management - and hats off to you if you are able to come to any agreement.
Our event was noticably a culture shock to the hotel staff (most of them took it in good stride), but their common (business)clients prefer the overpriced food and drinks to a 5 minute walk. If we're back next year, things will go much smoother I'm sure, and if we are able to fill the entire hotel, a deal might be struck on prices.

On the locals outside of the hotel - I know this has nothing to do with the con staff, but maybe as a general tip; in my experience the local's attitude and friendlyness was always consistent with age; under-35s always were friendly and spoke decent English, over-45s were often dour and refused to speak English. (And the over-60 ladies seemed to have a blast with the fursuiters) :p

Other feedback you've heard before: dealer's den was set up too narrow and ill-ventilated. Automatic locking out of rooms at 12:00 on sunday seemed a bit harsh with half the hotel checking out at once.
While conbadge and roomkey in one is a good idea, they are a bit vulnerable where the perforation is. Both me and my roommate lost our badge at some point because the perforation had given outand it just fell off the chain. Another friend managed to snap his in half, but I think he sat on it. :D
Maybe add both the chain and a clamp?

/nitpicking

Thanks again for a wonderful EF.

Weed:

--- Quote from: Bostitch on 13.09.2010, 13:11:32 ---Other feedback you've heard before: dealer's den was set up too narrow and ill-ventilated.

--- End quote ---

Oh trust me on this one, the Dealers' Den had MUCH more room (overall and between the tables) than it did at Ringberg (EF13 - 15)... :) However I do agree, the passages between the tables got stuffed very fast. Right now I can't come up with a working solution for this one, but there's still a year until EF17. Plenty of time.

--- Quote from: Bostitch on 13.09.2010, 13:11:32 ---While conbadge and roomkey in one is a good idea, they are a bit vulnerable where the perforation is. Both me and my roommate lost our badge at some point because the perforation had given outand it just fell off the chain. Another friend managed to snap his in half, but I think he sat on it. :D
Maybe add both the chain and a clamp?

--- End quote ---

It's not a good idea, it's a magnificently brilliant idea: Now attendees have to carry their badges around, otherwise they're locked out of their rooms *g* No but seriously, the room keycard-badge does have few security flaws that are simply impossible to fix, since they occur with ANY given room keycard in ANY given hotel. If you lose a keycard, anyone who finds it can enter your room. It's nothing EF can prevent really. However I'm curious, how exactly did you manage to break the perforation? I was dancing all night long during the Fursuit Dance & Big Blue Dance, as I did at EF14 and 15, and I've never experienced anything like that :P I can't really see it happening on a normal wear and tear.

Main Stage/Maritim Hall. When I got a sneak peek at them, I was absolutely mesmerized. Huge stage that took almost 30 seconds to walk across, room for practically everyone to sit in during the events, lighting and the A/V-setup at the back of the Hall. And a disco ball. An honest to god, bloody hell disco ball. And one in the main lobby as well, not forgetting the Eurofurence-banners. I really can't wait to see what you guys come up with for next year :D Great job!

- Weed

Bostitch:

--- Quote from: Weed on 13.09.2010, 13:51:32 ---However I'm curious, how exactly did you manage to break the perforation? I was dancing all night long during the Fursuit Dance & Big Blue Dance, as I did at EF14 and 15, and I've never experienced anything like that :P I can't really see it happening on a normal wear and tear.

--- End quote ---
Maybe from taking it off and stuffing into a jacket pocket; I don't like dangly things around my neck, took it off most of the time I went outside the hotel.
That's why I'd prefer one of these thingies, to hang it on my shirt.

Tsanawo:
About the badges: AFAIK there are dealers who sell clips to hang commissioned badges on in the dealers den.
It's the same guy who offers to laminate badges, BPython.

Get one of these (Universal usage across all EF's from now as long as they keep using the same perforate unit).
Very easy to obtain and attach if you do not wish to use your lanyard.

Korrok:
I also had these in the Dealer's Den. You can get them for a few euros for 50 of 'em on eBay, more for bulk. (not for the individual obviously, but if the con actually wanted to source them).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version