Eurofurence Information > Feedback

EF19 Feedback

<< < (12/13) > >>

Ralesk:

--- Quote from: Luxen on 04.09.2013, 00:50:40 ---- a fursuit walk that had half the town on their feet cheering like a big, happy holiday. It was incredibly touching and I'd never thought I'd say it but I'll miss Magdeburg.

--- End quote ---

Many times this! :)

--- Quote from: Luxen on 04.09.2013, 00:50:40 ---All the small complaints that are gathering here should not distract us of the main message: EF19 was the best Eurofurence so far!

--- End quote ---

Somehow it feels like the last EF at a repeated con site (EF12 Nürnberg, EF15 Suhl, EF19 Magdeburg) is always a local maximum of awesomeness :)

Jake R:

--- Quote from: Drachetto on 03.09.2013, 11:29:34 ---Considering everything was purrfect (special mention as always to the staff and the security, who are always nice and so efficent), the one and only point I will like to see improved next year is the Wi-Fi connection. I was unable to send a Twit or check emails or open a link in the 99% of the time, in all positions of the hotel-lobby. I don't know what happened in the last 2 years (that happened also at EF18) because I remember that Wi-Fi connection at EF17 was very good.

--- End quote ---

This is all second-hand info so I can't prove anything, but:

What I believe has happened is simply a huge increase in devices connecting to the network. Everybody has a smartphone / tablet / laptop etc. nowadays, and more visitors are around. I heard it was around 1220 unique devices during the con. Furthermore, if my info is correct, this huge amount of connection requests (all those devices keep auto-connecting to the network whenever it's in range) crashed the hotel's router several times.

In short: EF did the best they could, but the hotel's main connection simply couldn't keep up. Let's hope next year's connection is better =3

Ralesk:

--- Quote from: DarkFoxDK on 03.09.2013, 11:34:28 ---
--- Quote from: Drachetto on 03.09.2013, 11:29:34 ---Considering everything was purrfect (special mention as always to the staff and the security, who are always nice and so efficent), the one and only point I will like to see improved next year is the Wi-Fi connection. I was unable to send a Twit or check emails or open a link in the 99% of the time, in all positions of the hotel-lobby. I don't know what happened in the last 2 years (that happened also at EF18) because I remember that Wi-Fi connection at EF17 was very good.

--- End quote ---

Just get a local pay-as-you-go SIM card for ~20€, that's what I've done the last two years and it's worked perfectly.

--- End quote ---

I second this notion.  Eg. at Lidl Mobile / Fonic, you get a 150 MB/month allowance for 3.99€, 500 MB/month for 6.95€; and they will just push your speed down when you go over.  And you can easily switch back to the 0€ default plan once you're done using your German SIM.

Tseatah:

--- Quote from: Jake R on 05.09.2013, 12:40:15 ---

--- End quote ---

This is all second-hand info so I can't prove anything, but:

What I believe has happened is simply a huge increase in devices connecting to the network. Everybody has a smartphone / tablet / laptop etc. nowadays, and more visitors are around. I heard it was around 1220 unique devices during the con. Furthermore, if my info is correct, this huge amount of connection requests (all those devices keep auto-connecting to the network whenever it's in range) crashed the hotel's router several times.

In short: EF did the best they could, but the hotel's main connection simply couldn't keep up. Let's hope next year's connection is better =3

--- End quote ---

While this suggestion I'm about to make won't help with being able to connect to the WiFi, it should help with avoiding the overloading of the network link to the convention hotel:

Remind people using the WiFi to turn off automatically uploading of photos to places like Apple's Photostream, Dropbox, Google, etc. Many smartphones have the option to automatically do this when you're connected to a WiFi link, and that means that every photo someone takes from their phone gets pushed up that narrow pipe from the hotel as soon as they join EF-Public.

Cheetah:
Next year, the WiFi will be provided by the convention center - providing WiFi for a space of that size would have been beyond our own capabilities anyways. They are currently switching to a new provider that provides a limited bandwidth for free (enough for every day tasks such as twitter, email, and other services), and higher bandwidth for a fee. That system will most likely be able to handle large amounts of people just fine :)

(And before someone asks: No, I don't know the exact prices or the exact bandwidth.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version