Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver's licenses and such  (Read 57239 times)

whitewulfe

Driver's licenses and such
« on: 14.02.2007, 00:50:19 »

I think I picked out the correct sub-forum for this...  Anyone have any ideas on the requirements for driver's licenses out in europe?  Would one need an international driver's license, or would my canadian (Alberta) license suffice for driving out there?

(Okay, fine, I admit it - Asking because I want to hit up "the ring", or whatever that racetrack is called that's over 10km long... ^_^ This folf wants to hit up an actual track, not dodge pylons (aka solosport/solo2/autocross/rallycross). Too bad the airlines probably wouldn't let me drag my helmet on with me >.>)
« Last Edit: 14.02.2007, 00:57:09 by whitewulfe »

Recherei

Re: Driver's licenses and such
« Reply #1 on: 14.02.2007, 01:56:24 »

In the US, international driver's licenses are issued through AAA.  All they appear to be is a document saying you have your own driver's license in your own country.  They are not valid unless presented with your regular license, and they are required in the European Union as well as most foreign countries.

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #2 on: 14.02.2007, 02:03:20 »

I think I picked out the correct sub-forum for this...  Anyone have any ideas on the requirements for driver's licenses out in europe?  Would one need an international driver's license, or would my canadian (Alberta) license suffice for driving out there?
You could've, like, checked with the embassy? (http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canada-europa/germany/canadiansabroad04-en.asp)

(To answer your question, your licence will be valid, but an international driver's licence is recommended.)

(Okay, fine, I admit it - Asking because I want to hit up "the ring", or whatever that racetrack is called that's over 10km long... ^_^ This folf wants to hit up an actual track, not dodge pylons (aka solosport/solo2/autocross/rallycross). Too bad the airlines probably wouldn't let me drag my helmet on with me >.>)
You are aware of the fact that engaging in such activities with a rented vehicle explicitly voids the insurance on the vehicle and allows the agency to declare the rental agreement void, are you?
« Last Edit: 14.02.2007, 02:05:04 by doco »
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #3 on: 14.02.2007, 08:02:54 »

The Nürburgring offers several traynings: http://www.nuerburgring.de/home/index.html?L=1
Have fun out there, its worth it  ;D

whitewulfe

« Reply #4 on: 14.02.2007, 12:31:19 »

In the US, international driver's licenses are issued through AAA.  All they appear to be is a document saying you have your own driver's license in your own country.  They are not valid unless presented with your regular license, and they are required in the European Union as well as most foreign countries.

Weird, I could've sworn up in Canada it was a little different...  Or maybe it was just different because my father was with the flying geese, aka 408 TacHel (in english, air force)....  Or maybe it is just a piece of paper. o_O  And hey, apparently I'm 2cm taller than I actually am according to the DMV *chuckles*

You could've, like, checked with the embassy? (http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canada-europa/germany/canadiansabroad04-en.asp)
(To answer your question, your licence will be valid, but an international driver's licence is recommended.)

Ah, thank you...  I completely forgot to think about the embassy...  Thanks for pointing that out (Jeez, I feel like a fool for forgetting about them)

You are aware of the fact that engaging in such activities with a rented vehicle explicitly voids the insurance on the vehicle and allows the agency to declare the rental agreement void, are you?

Fully aware of such, just like I'm fully aware that my kouki ae92 trueno/corolla, if ever pulled over by the rozzers in any province other than Alberta (especially if in BC near Kamloops or Vancouver *chuckles nervously*) I'd be in even more trouble than lack of insurance. ~_^  (Having a grocery getter capable of 350+kph is a bad thing, apparently, especially if it can get there in a very short time).  Wasn't planning on using a rental car to hit up a track, I may be a silly Canadian, but I'm not that silly.

Sides, I'd heard rumours over on DoriKaze that the Nurburgring offers rental cars for that specific purpose (with training provided as well, although I'd need to get me a suit too, grr.  Folfy hasn't gotten into solo1 yet (too expensive, $600 per event is tad steep for 20 runs around Race City) nor has he gotten into performance rally (well, DRIVING in rally, lol), the only two sports out here (besides ice racing) that require a race suit)

The Nürburgring offers several traynings: http://www.nuerburgring.de/home/index.html?L=1
Have fun out there, its worth it  ;D

I full well intent to have a huuuge blast there.  And take the bragging rights of being the first DoriKaze member to drive it... ^_^  Well, unless the one fellow doing an exchange schooling in Germany beats us all to the punch...  (Sure billzilla's probably done it, but hey, he's driven Formula 1 ~_^)

And if I'm to have fun, I should probably renew my license, it expires in two months.. >.>
« Last Edit: 14.02.2007, 12:44:50 by whitewulfe »

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #5 on: 14.02.2007, 17:32:25 »

I had a Porsche race training there wich was awsome plus several times with a private car.

Also one time with my Kawasaki but this was a little too extreme for me.

Okami

• Garou of the Silent Strider
« Reply #6 on: 14.02.2007, 17:56:27 »

You have a Kawasaki, Nightfox? Which one?

Someday, and this day may never come, I want to race that track with my bike, too. But propably not with my Hornet.
If you hear a wolf howl, you can guess which pain he feels.

Arwooo~!

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #7 on: 14.02.2007, 21:08:16 »

Well, it was a Kawasaki GPZ 900 but since i lost my kneecap in an accident i'm not driving anymore........

*whisper* and yes, the double bend was worth it   ;)

whitewulfe

« Reply #8 on: 14.02.2007, 21:47:50 »

I had a Porsche race training there wich was awsome plus several times with a private car.

Also one time with my Kawasaki but this was a little too extreme for me.

Sounds like fun...  We've got the Evolution driver training out here (as well as performance rally training), however Race City is kind of lacking in certain ways (aka half the track is one long straight away, so it seems), and the nearest decent track is a good 7-10 hours away, in Vancouver (depending on whether you do the speed limit or not, I know people who've done the trip in five hours ~_^).

Okami

• Garou of the Silent Strider
« Reply #9 on: 15.02.2007, 16:07:57 »

Well, it was a Kawasaki GPZ 900 but since i lost my kneecap in an accident i'm not driving anymore........

*whisper* and yes, the double bend was worth it   ;)

The risks of driving motorcycles. I'm glad nothing bad happend to me yet. Some dents and scratches until now. Well, if you ever feel the need of returning to two wheels and an engine, feel free to tell me. I'll pick you up. ^^
If you hear a wolf howl, you can guess which pain he feels.

Arwooo~!

Jager

• Long live the south
    • SCV dot org
« Reply #10 on: 11.03.2007, 01:52:38 »

Unless you have a CDL, The CDL was made a international license in 1988 by the feds. I checked it out and my CDL is valid in europe by it's self.
Yeah I light my own farts and your point is?

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #11 on: 12.03.2007, 23:33:17 »

For the most part, as long as you are just visiting, you're US driver's license is alright.  But, if you get stopped for anything, expect a hard time.  Just, make sure you know what the road signs (all 150 of them) mean.  Because, you will have a hard time reading what the signs actually say when you are doing 130+. :P

Jager

• Long live the south
    • SCV dot org
« Reply #12 on: 13.03.2007, 03:31:42 »

Well I checked not for a car but for a comercial truck.
Yeah I light my own farts and your point is?

K9Primate

« Reply #13 on: 13.03.2007, 11:23:51 »

Just, make sure you know what the road signs (all 150 of them) mean.

On this page you find some German traffic signs and signals: http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/zeichen.htm
Furcode: FCM3df A--- C+ D H+ M- P+ R+ T+ W--- Z Sm RLAT a++ c e f- h* i+ j* p- sm+

whitewulfe

« Reply #14 on: 14.03.2007, 20:36:51 »

There's signs for speed limits when it's wet?  Wow, and I thought we had it bad here in Canada with day/night ones (night usually being for the "big rigs").  Maybe bus/train is a better idea after all...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up