Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New prices - discussion thread  (Read 41764 times)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
New prices - discussion thread
« on: 10.01.2010, 15:04:53 »

Hello everyone!

I've just made three consecutive postings in this thread in the announcements forum, publishing the new prices for EF16, a description of the new room categories, and a lengthy explanation what made the price increase necessary and why we did what we did:

http://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,2125.msg19078.html#msg19078

If you have any remarks or questions, feel free to post them here.
yours,

Cheetah

Rallicat

Re: New prices - discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: 10.01.2010, 15:53:31 »

Thanks for keeping us all updated, I for one expected that prices would go up, and whilst it's a shame that the law has pushed prices up further, I'm sure everyone understands that it is beyond your control.

At least with the new hotel, there are a more flexible set of options and choices for rooms and registration levels, so people can choose what to pay for, and decide what's important to them.

Looking forward to it already, I know you'll make the convention a great event for us all!

--
Rallicat

djem

• Stage Team
« Reply #2 on: 10.01.2010, 16:11:36 »

Just a fast question that might interess everyone :

Those it's possible to firstly take and pay just the Basic Con Fee + a Standar Shared Double Room; and after update it, for a better room, sponsor or extra day ? :)

Thanks !

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 10.01.2010, 16:22:20 »

Just a fast question that might interess everyone :

Those it's possible to firstly take and pay just the Basic Con Fee + a Standar Shared Double Room; and after update it, for a better room, sponsor or extra day ? :)

For a better room category: Depends on the availability. From our experience, the higher-class rooms are usually gone fast. The extra days and sponsor can be added anytime.
yours,

Cheetah

WhiteShadowFox

« Reply #4 on: 10.01.2010, 17:40:21 »

"Supersponsors get reserved seats at main stage, access to exclusive events"

How did you came up with this idea :S?
I find it unpleasant to know if you have lots of money you can reserve a seat at the main stage front row while the people with less money wait in line maybe a hour before and end up in the back :S?

Also it would be nice to know what those exclusive events are :S? are there going to be VIP party's or what :S?

Could you explain this "supersponsor part" more than just the small line?

drayygon

• The UK communities militant dragon
« Reply #5 on: 10.01.2010, 17:48:53 »

Cheetah did put that the events for them would be announced, meaning nothing set yet. And reserved seats for super sponsors isn't anything new, it is done at AC for one thing.

djem

• Stage Team
« Reply #6 on: 10.01.2010, 17:53:59 »

"Supersponsors get reserved seats at main stage, access to exclusive events"

I find it unpleasant to know if you have lots of money you can reserve a seat at the main stage front row while the people with less money wait in line maybe a hour before and end up in the back :S?

Also it would be nice to know what those exclusive events are :S? are there going to be VIP party's or what :S?

Could you explain this "supersponsor part" more than just the small line?

I quite agree with you White, not really cool to show who is rich and who is not ... but the other hand, if it allow EF to have more money, I think everyone will take some benefits from it :)

Shivon

• Shivon <3 Waffles
    • Shivon.NL
« Reply #7 on: 10.01.2010, 18:10:23 »

Prices have definitely increased.... A LOT! Compared to last year, I have to pay 125 euro more for the same thing. And that's not including the fee for the parking. Which is if I am not mistaken, 18 euro a day. And if I would stay there from Tuesday till Monday, it would cost me about 100 euro. So that is an increase of 225 euro, and that's without food, drinks and fuel.

I knew the hotel was gonna be more expensive, but 225 euro more??? Either I did some serious miscalculations, or that is a serious increase in price.

Not really too happy about it... Will have to sort some options out :).

Anyway, I would love to know more about the 3 persons in one room option. Cheetah has already told me it's possible on request and it will be a double room + extra bed, but I am curious on how the prices will develop on that.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 10.01.2010, 18:18:36 »

Quite simple: We need the money. And we think that people who voluntarily donate an extra €60 or €120 out of their pockets to support the con deserve more gratuity than just an honorable mention and a handshake :)

People with lots of money will even be able to afford a Suite that people with less money can't afford. And they'll be able to afford better food than the people with less money. And they'll even be able to come in an expensive car that people with less money can't afford. Those people with lots of money can really ruin your day, don't they?

But, I suggest looking at it from a different perspective: Those people with lots of money help keeping the con for everyone ELSE affordable. That's the whole point of sponsorship. People who have the money to spare helping out those who can't. Without the sponsors, the regular base price would have to be much higher.

This is all subject to change, but here are our current ideas: At the moment we're still working out what the exact benefits will be. It may be an exclusive dinner with the Guest of Honor, or something similar. We're also thinking about opening the art show one hour earlier for supersponsors, so they can have the first look. We're still thinking of more benefits things that don't cost us much, and do not put anybody else at an unfair disadvantage and that allow us to show our gratitude for the extra donation.

If you're worried about being left out, please don't forget that the new hotel has about four times the seating space than the Ringberg hotel had, and that they're unlikely to be hundrets of supersponsors taking away all the space.

yours,

Cheetah

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 10.01.2010, 18:25:24 »

Prices have definitely increased.... A LOT! Compared to last year, I have to pay 125 euro more for the same thing. And that's not including the fee for the parking. Which is if I am not mistaken, 18 euro a day. And if I would stay there from Tuesday till Monday, it would cost me about 100 euro. So that is an increase of 225 euro, and that's without food, drinks and fuel.

Yup. As I wrote earlier, that's more expensive as we wanted it to be. We had calculated the original prices that were announced at EF15 for a 50€ increase for the base package maximum. The recent events thoroughly screwed with our plans.  

I knew the hotel was gonna be more expensive, but 225 euro more??? Either I did some serious miscalculations, or that is a serious increase in price.

Where do you draw that 225 euro difference from?

EF15: Late, early, double room, confee = 35 + 35 + 100 + 60 = 230 (edit ... 35, not 45, sorry )
EF16: Late, early, double room, confee = 55 + 55 + 160 + 80 = 350

That's 120 euros, not 225. Please stay realistic :) 

You do not have to use the parking garage of the hotel. You can park your car anywhere in the streets (which should be safe if it's empty), or do car sharing and also share the parking costs. It was a lot worse in Nurenberg.

Not really too happy about it...

Nobody is, believe me.

Anyway, I would love to know more about the 3 persons in one room option. Cheetah has already told me it's possible on request and it will be a double room + extra bed, but I am curious on how the prices will develop on that.

The hotel offers roughly 10% discount for 3 persons in a double room. You won't be able to book it from within the registration system, at least not from the start, since supplies of extra beds are limited.
« Last Edit: 10.01.2010, 18:51:18 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Shivon

• Shivon <3 Waffles
    • Shivon.NL
« Reply #10 on: 10.01.2010, 18:41:36 »

EF15: Late, early, double room, confee, sponsor was 285 euro.
EF16: Late, early, double room, confee, sponsor  = 55 + 55 + 160 + 80 + 60 = 410 euro.

The difference between the two is 125 euro. And yes, I know I can save 60 euro by not doing the sponsor, but I did that last year, so why not this year. At least the T-Shirt and the other stuff is included, which saves money too :).

And then we have the parking. There might be cheaper options that will cost around the 10 euro a day, but that still leaves me with 60 euro extra. Still coming back to the 125 euro if I do not choose for sponsor. And 185 euro with sponsor.

I'm not really a man for complaining about money when we are all having a good time, but it has to be within limits :P. So I gotta do same serious saving the next months, so I can pay the extra difference. And I am guessing that payment must be done within 2 weeks after registration :P.

Also about the 3 persons in one room. I really do hope I am one of the lucky ones. If not, I will have to go in the process again of finding a roommate, which for me, is quite a challange, since I am picky with who I choose :P.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 10.01.2010, 18:58:58 »

The difference between the two is 125 euro.

You wrote 225 :) Must have been a typo then.

And yes, I know I can save 60 euro by not doing the sponsor, but I did that last year, so why not this year. At least the T-Shirt and the other stuff is included, which saves money too :).

And of course your donation is most welcome :)

I'm not really a man for complaining about money when we are all having a good time, but it has to be within limits :P

It is within limits :) I've just withdrawn the money I need to pay for my room at the Fairmont Hotel (Further Confusion). $250 for my share of a triple room, standard category ... it's what hotel rooms cost nowadays. Find me a place that will house 2000 persons for less and has the necessary convention infrastructure, and I'll give you a free membership for the rest of your life :)

For the regular room rate at the Maritim, you'd pay 500€ for EF, by the way. So the 160€ we offer it for, is a true bargain :)

yours,

Cheetah

SouthPaw

« Reply #12 on: 10.01.2010, 19:23:54 »

Nobody is forcing you to go to Eurofurence. Attendance isn't a mandatory requirement for being a fur. ;-)

Yes, the increase compared to the estimates on the flyer is unfortunate, but there's very little that the organisers can do about it, other than cancelling the contract and looking for somewhere else...Which would probably cost a small fortune in cancellation fees.

The venue is a four star city centre Hotel. In that context, €40 per person per night is a very reasonable rate. (Having said that, I live in London, where room rates of €70+ per person per night are not unheard of).

You don't HAVE to stop at the convention hotel at all. A quick look at Google Maps shows Magdeburg Youth Hostel as being a short walk away, with rates from €20 per person per night. Alternative parking is also available near the station from around €9 per day.

Just my 2p's worth,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

EosFoxx

• Stage Secretary
  • Stage Team
    • Homepage of EosFoxx
« Reply #13 on: 10.01.2010, 19:24:08 »

For the regular room rate at the Maritim, you'd pay 500€ for EF, by the way. So the 160€ we offer it for, is a true bargain :)

Woah! Didn't know that yet.
I looked it up on their website it say the cheapest would be 93,- € PER DAY.
omg - thanks you made that deal with them for us.

Shivon

• Shivon <3 Waffles
    • Shivon.NL
« Reply #14 on: 10.01.2010, 19:30:19 »

Ooooohh, free membership for the rest of my life :D. That sounds very tempting ;). But I also know the price to get such a thing and for me that would be impossible to give ya :).

How ever, I know I can cough up the money and I know I want to spend it on EF, but I guess the sudden increase compared with last year might be overwhelming at first sight. Let's just hope that the food and the drinks remain good priced :).

The only thing I gotta worry about now is getting that third bed. Even though I am thinking that it's not really optimal. Is the extra bed limited to standard room only or does it also fit in superior?

Thanks for the answers so far Cheetah :).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up