Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 170801 times)

Jager

• Long live the south
    • SCV dot org
Re: Alcohol
« Reply #30 on: 13.03.2007, 03:37:38 »

German beer is really good tasting

And that from a resident of the country that gave Heineken to the world...

Well, he didn't say that Dutch beer wasn't good tasting. Heineken, however, is a beer without any characteristics. Germany has mediocre beers, too: Warsteiner, Bitburger, Krombacher... But at least that's beer. Where I am right now people associate that soda pop called Bud with beer.  At least I cannot blame the folks in this specific state for it, as most of them do not drink alcoholic beverages at all. Yes, I am in Utah currently.

I bought a box of Heineken the other day (which, at least, is a beer,) just wanting to see what happens. The cashier demanded my photo ID (though she didn't for the other customer who was buying cigarettes.) I gave her my German ID card, which is another one of my practical jokes when I'm in the US: try to confuse them with weird documents. Much to my disappointment, it never worked before. Usually it is just one short look and that's it. But this lady was looking at the card for over a minute, then requested the passport (which has a very similar card), compared both cards for another minute, trying to comprehend, sighed and gave me back both documents. Hilarious!
Warsteiner is one of my favroits that and becks.
Yeah I light my own farts and your point is?

vegivamp

« Reply #31 on: 13.03.2007, 15:23:01 »

Germany is a big country, so I would find it very strange indeed if it didn't have decent beers. I've had a few nice ones, but they tended to be smallbrews, from places I was staying at. Most of my german time tends to be spent with friends in Köln, though, so you can guess what they're trying to feed me.

They've stopped jeering at me not keeping up with them after I explained that I never drink large quantities of yellow water, and wether they'd like to hold a contest with beer of my choosing :-)

I'm halfway considering bringing my own beer, I'm passing at least two Trappist abbeys anyways. On the other hand, It might be interesting to get a tour of decent beers from our German hosts *hint* *hint*  ;D

somewolf

« Reply #32 on: 13.03.2007, 17:59:07 »

i have no idea about how many brews there are in germany
but i like to remind of the oldest known law for foodstuff from 1516 where the contents of a 'beer'
is defined
therefore most of the foreign brews are not understood as a 'beer' for a 'real german beerdrinker'  *G*

since i belive i'm qualified to give a realy good advice on a beer (after 20years being a firefighter in germany)
here's my favorite:  it is called  "Torgauer Landbock"

despite the name it isn't realy a 'bockbier' , what stands for a usualy strong alc. content
it is more like an older beer in taste
meaning it 'fills' the mounth and is 'thick'

yes, it is from a brewery in torgau at the elbe river where at the end of WW2 the allied and russians meet at that famous bridge
nice town, lived near by,,,  even nicer beers :-)

oh sry i'm kinda like off topic here

just
somewolf

vegivamp

« Reply #33 on: 14.03.2007, 11:54:23 »

The topic being 'Alcohol', you're hardly off-topic :-)

That's the Reinheitsgebot (sp) you're talking about, and imo it's well past it's prime - it was necessary back then, but it really stops german brewers from coming up with original stuff.

And what do you mean by 'high' alcohol content ? Everything is relative, and I'm Belgian, so used to 12% beers :-)

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #34 on: 14.03.2007, 13:06:35 »

Ah.. Good ol' Belgian beers.  They can sneak up on you when you are drinking them, like Chimey (hope I spelled that correctly.)  But still, German and Belgian beers are great compared to the American ones.  I don't think I could drink an American beer if it was the only thing available, I would be sober. (Besides the fact it is almost impossible to get drunk on those things, have to drink like 12)
« Last Edit: 14.03.2007, 13:53:55 by Fawks Beaumont »

Jynarco

« Reply #35 on: 14.03.2007, 19:14:22 »

Ah.. Good ol' Belgian beers.  They can sneak up on you when you are drinking them, like Chimey (hope I spelled that correctly.)  But still, German and Belgian beers are great compared to the American ones.  I don't think I could drink an American beer if it was the only thing available, I would be sober. (Besides the fact it is almost impossible to get drunk on those things, have to drink like 12)

Ahh Chimay...a fine brew, one most say

whitewulfe

« Reply #36 on: 14.03.2007, 20:28:09 »

Beer?  Do you guys even drink hard liquor out there? ~_^  Or am I just crazy for liking stuff like Bols vodka? (Well, okay, Bols is a little too sweet for my liking, but still, tis better than Smirnoff)

Fawks, what about Canadian beers, any opinion on those?

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #37 on: 14.03.2007, 20:30:54 »

I did like Labatt when I was still living in Michigan, but I didn't have much other then that.  Still, Canadian beer gets watered down when you get it in the states.  Although, I love me Whiskey and Scotch. *hugs his bottle of Crown Royale*

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #38 on: 14.03.2007, 20:40:28 »

Well, for people who don't like beer we have that little toy at the bar.

whitewulfe

« Reply #39 on: 14.03.2007, 20:44:02 »

Well, for people who don't like beer we have that little toy at the bar.

*shudders* I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories about that stuff, although it's interesting to watch friends down Jager Bombs... (red bull / jagermeister)

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #40 on: 14.03.2007, 20:51:25 »

Jager bombs are my favorite drinks when I am out at a club or bar, get a nice feeling going and still have the energy to keep dancing the night away.  But, they mess up my Billiards game.  A fair trade.  Anyone at the con that would be willing to share the fun of the bombs with me, the offer is always open. :P

whitewulfe

« Reply #41 on: 14.03.2007, 20:55:13 »

Jager bombs are my favorite drinks when I am out at a club or bar, get a nice feeling going and still have the energy to keep dancing the night away.  But, they mess up my Billiards game.  A fair trade.  Anyone at the con that would be willing to share the fun of the bombs with me, the offer is always open. :P

Eh, knowing me, I'd be willing to try one out, even if Red Bulls don't really do much for me (liar, they sure worked at the Twisted E when jumpstylin, lol).  How hard does that stuff hit a person anyways?  I'm used to downing half a 26/750 of vodka in an hour or two (well, okay, fine, three hours, I'm a little wonky if I do it in less than two hours).  Billiards, how i miss such...  Did well when I was in New Zealand, and now I suck, because everywhere all they have is light cues...  I miss the 28-31 ouncers....

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #42 on: 14.03.2007, 21:13:38 »

Oh my... 28-31!! I play with a 20 if I can get my paws on it.  But, I learned how to put a lot of power behind a 20 when I need to, but Jager go down pretty smooth, and don't hit too hard.  It's better then drinking it straight.  Also, when I am drinking to just have a good time, I take my time on them.  But, slamming them down is always fun as well.

whitewulfe

« Reply #43 on: 14.03.2007, 21:15:00 »

Oh my... 28-31!! I play with a 20 if I can get my paws on it.  But, I learned how to put a lot of power behind a 20 when I need to, but Jager go down pretty smooth, and don't hit too hard.  It's better then drinking it straight.  Also, when I am drinking to just have a good time, I take my time on them.  But, slamming them down is always fun as well.

Anything less than a 27 my shots are wonky, it's weird...  I know, tis heavy, but hey, I like em heavier for some reason, easier to control and balance for how I play.

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #44 on: 14.03.2007, 21:20:20 »

Yeah, everyone has there own style of playing, and I am rusty as it stands right now... (Still can't believe I got beat by a pregnant, short woman multiple times in a row, she just wouldn't stop killing me.)  Hmmm... now I am in the mood to go play, to bad I really should get to sleep in a little while.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Up