Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for future EF locations  (Read 17949 times)

Drift

• Art Show
Re: Suggestions for EF location alternatives
« Reply #15 on: 10.09.2010, 14:51:28 »

But you can also read about positiv aspects as well.  ;)

The thing is that with approx. 1000 participants, there will ALWAYS be somebody complaining about something. Does not matter what venue you will find, I recon.

Onkel Kage

• Art Show
    • Unclekage.com
« Reply #16 on: 10.09.2010, 18:07:50 »

Get ready, Cheetah!  Here come the Arm-chair Con-chairs!

Furrysite

« Reply #17 on: 12.09.2010, 15:18:50 »

maritim hotel is very good but unfortunately very expensive .

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #18 on: 12.09.2010, 15:44:18 »

maritim hotel is very good but unfortunately very expensive .

Congratulations! You are the 1000nd forum member mentioning this! And here's your price! You win the answer that there is a supermarket right across the street, excellent but inexpensive restaurants around the hotel, and that parking at the nearby parking lots is much cheaper than the hotel garage.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Mazin

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #19 on: 15.09.2010, 21:43:52 »

I wasn't at EF 16 but I read many comments about the con and nearly everything negative I read was about the hotel.

Probably because the con had such a good relationship with the Ringberg, and no matter how good a new hotel may be, that kind of relationship is something that isn't built in an instant. For what it's worth, EF16 was my first EF, and I didn't find anything particularly negative about the hotel itself that couldn't be classified under "staff not used to the venue yet", and I never found any of the hotel's staff to be rude.

Give EF a few years at the Maritim so people can build up some good memories there, and I bet you we'll be complaing about leaving it for a larger hotel! ;)

drayygon

• The UK communities militant dragon
« Reply #20 on: 18.09.2010, 01:48:52 »

Get ready, Cheetah!  Here come the Arm-chair Con-chairs!

Just like armchair politicians, they get everywhere they do.

Shiro

• Danish booze Husky
« Reply #21 on: 24.12.2010, 15:12:55 »

Hey guys.
After having read through this topic and the one about the good and bad with the new hotel,
I have started to wonder about why convention centers seemingly hasn't been brought up much yet, least of all from the EF staff.

I know some of the reasons for it is that EF isn't big enough for it, but there are smaller convention centers, about the size of 2 indoor football fields.
I also know that the EF is build up like one big party "as mentioned by Cheetah in the EF13 dvd"
But as the demands for rooms get bigger, finding a hotel with fair prices becomes much much harder, especially finding ones that have functionally convention areas.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is.
Have the idea about going for a convention center in the future been up?

Because looking from the outside it just looks like the EF staff is fixated on the idea that is has to be a hotel.

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #22 on: 24.12.2010, 15:50:56 »

Are you just counting on this post going unnoticed because everybody's away on family holiday, or have you really been NOT paying any attention at all in the past umpteen years?  m(
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Shiro

• Danish booze Husky
« Reply #23 on: 24.12.2010, 16:10:24 »

Are you just counting on this post going unnoticed because everybody's away on family holiday, or have you really been NOT paying any attention at all in the past umpteen years?  m(

Is there a specific reason that the post I see written by you feels like your slapping people in the face?

1. No writing a post hoping that it goes unnoticed is a rather stupid idea, as every member on this page will just check on what topics has gotten new posts in them when they return.

2. If there is a post where convention centers in the future has been noted or discussed. How about giving the short sum-ops of what happened.
Or the lazy approach give a link
Either way it would be more helpful, and it would make it more easy to take you "as a staff member" seriously

Sure getting a slap remark for a question is something i would expect on a image board.
But on a convention forum.. Not so much
« Last Edit: 24.12.2010, 16:14:59 by Shiro »

SouthPaw

« Reply #24 on: 24.12.2010, 22:06:21 »

Have you any idea of the economics involved behind such a move?

Conference rooms at Hotels tend to be (relatively) cheap if you guarantee a certain number of room nights. (In EF's case, that's the majority of the Hotel). A standalone conference centre is VERY expensive.

Not the same country, admittedly, but the ExCeL Centre in London quoted a rate of £16100 (around €18950) per day, exclusive of tax, for the use of their Conference Centre (capacity 1100) a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Shiro

• Danish booze Husky
« Reply #25 on: 24.12.2010, 22:44:46 »

Have you any idea of the economics involved behind such a move?

Conference rooms at Hotels tend to be (relatively) cheap if you guarantee a certain number of room nights. (In EF's case, that's the majority of the Hotel). A standalone conference centre is VERY expensive.

Not the same country, admittedly, but the ExCeL Centre in London quoted a rate of £16100 (around €18950) per day, exclusive of tax, for the use of their Conference Centre (capacity 1100) a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Southie

Well it should be mentioned that London is the second most expensive city in Europe. Right after Copenhagen.

But no I haven't looked far into the area.
I just noticed that allot of other cons use this form "anime, gaming"
And if they use it, it doesn't sound like its a totally problematic thing.

Off course I could look into the conference center prices outside of the big citys.
But I think that is for the EF staff to do, since in the end its their desission.
I was just curios if that approach had been looked into at all.
Since I Haven't had luck to find any mention about it.

Merry Christmas :D

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 25.12.2010, 17:39:59 »

Hey guys.
After having read through this topic and the one about the good and bad with the new hotel,
I have started to wonder about why convention centers seemingly hasn't been brought up much yet, least of all from the EF staff.

We have considered it, but we didn't bring it up in public because so far we haven't seen a single one that satisfies our criteria ... not to mention the very hefty pricetag. Typical convention centers have a lot of function space, but usually no or just very little hotel capacity on location. Normal trade fairs draw mostly walk-in audience, who only come for one day and drive back to their hotels scattered around a 100km surrounding area via train and car when the exhibition closes for the evening.

So, as long as we can fit everyone in one hotel without a one-hour drive between hotel and convention, regular convention centers are pretty much out of the question.
« Last Edit: 25.12.2010, 17:42:25 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up