Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stairs and elevators...  (Read 19135 times)

Riffuchs

• Art Show
  • Ears in motion
Re: Stairs and elevators...
« Reply #15 on: 24.08.2011, 00:38:23 »

From what I observed only a few guests took the opportunity to make use of the open staircases. I even saw lots of guests using the elevators for just going down one (1) floor. Despite that for some reasons not all staircases were unlocked, making more use of them would relax the situation a lot.
Yours sincerely,
Riffuchs

Jaryic

• Stage Director
« Reply #16 on: 24.08.2011, 00:47:13 »

Only the staircases on the side of the reception (left side) where opened and fitted with door handles (because the hotel simply had not enough door handles to fit all staircases)
I used them a lot while traveling the hotel from from ground to 7th floor and had never had a problem reaching the desired floor.
Only those that can see which is invisible can do the impossible.

Riffuchs

• Art Show
  • Ears in motion
« Reply #17 on: 24.08.2011, 01:42:18 »

Only the staircases on the side of the reception (left side) where opened and fitted with door handles (because the hotel simply had not enough door handles to fit all staircases)

If its just that its just a matter of some bucks and a good deal with a supplier of such handles. *notes down*
Yours sincerely,
Riffuchs

cosmo

« Reply #18 on: 24.08.2011, 17:55:27 »

However... in the case of elevators not stopping at floors due to people messing with buttons.  I was waiting by the glass elevators a few times and despite pressing the call button, several lifts just went straight passed the floor.  So not sure if this was someone pressing code buttons or not.

The lifts also have a weight sensor in them, so if they're close to their weight limit they don't stop until they get to a destination.

I did get annoyed once when an elevator with only 2 people in it went straight past because some selfish idiot was holding down the emergency buttons. To that person, and people like them, I would like to say when you buy the lifts, then feel free to use them as you wish, but until then please realise that you are not the only person at the con. The clue is in the name, it's an emergency code, there for emergencies only, not for impatient and selfish people like yourselves.

Other than that I think the situation was much better this year. The queues for the lifts weren't nearly as long as last year and the stairs seemed to help a lot
« Last Edit: 24.08.2011, 17:57:17 by cosmo »

nobs

• the wolf of the tigress team
    • tigress
« Reply #19 on: 25.08.2011, 19:14:42 »

I had no problem with the elevators. Sometimes you have to wait a little, but so what.

"Labelling" the stair houses is a good idea. Maybe some graphics with "you are here" and "these stairs lead to there" are possible.

The elevators had some problems and I missed to mention it to the hotel. Maybe this should be mentioned to them:

- the left elevator in the rear mixed up "up" and "down"

- the right one refused to open doors on -1 (parking level); it needed some manual help

- sometimes the buttons were blinking; this could freak out some sensible persons

- sometimes pressing buttons was not accepted / was ignored

- the special labels like "Rezeption" fell down; the labels made of brass might look nice, but on the convex surface they just do not work out

- the labelling in the elevators differ from that in the stair houses; from the point of usability and security they should be named consistent; especially when keeping in mind that the stairs normally used in emergency situations
just an average con goer

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 25.08.2011, 19:45:01 »

Nobs, I hope you told the front desk about it the moment this happened. The service technician from otis was on location at least two times.
yours,

Cheetah

nobs

• tigress
« Reply #21 on: 25.08.2011, 20:07:24 »

Nobs, I hope you told the front desk about it the moment this happened. The service technician from otis was on location at least two times.

The -1 issue was during depart. I missed to report that one.

The others were reported by other furs so far I know. But I am not sure whether it really was fixed, or I just didn't notice it any more.
just an average con goer

Xar

« Reply #22 on: 25.08.2011, 22:15:04 »

By the way, the explanation for the loud noise and flow of air was that the AC was having a hard time keeping the temperature down in the atrium, so the house technician activated the "gas purge" system that is originally meant to keep the staircases smoke-free in case of a fire to assist the air circulation in the lobby area.

I agree it was loud, but the fursuiters loved it (there were alway quite a few flocking around the staircase entry), and you could do some fun stuff in there ... like let a balloon fly, and watch it circle down the staircase into the lobby without ever touching a wall :)

Please, *please* do that again next year!
It was incredibly awesome, you could just step in front of the staircases in suit without even have to leave the lobby :)
And leave it running if possible (I think an emergency system isn't really meant to be active 24/7 for a week, but one can hope...)

SouthPaw

« Reply #23 on: 26.08.2011, 13:55:08 »

It was incredibly awesome, you could just step in front of the staircases in suit without even have to leave the lobby :)
And leave it running if possible (I think an emergency system isn't really meant to be active 24/7 for a week, but one can hope...)
The trouble with leaving the gas purge system running is that it knocks out the ventilation system for the bedrooms as, obviously, you don't want to have smoke being drawn into the bedrooms or staircases in the event of a fire.

Cheers,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Xar

« Reply #24 on: 26.08.2011, 16:20:13 »

The trouble with leaving the gas purge system running is that it knocks out the ventilation system for the bedrooms as, obviously, you don't want to have smoke being drawn into the bedrooms or staircases in the event of a fire.

Cheers,

Southie

Oh, I see then. Too bad ^^

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 26.08.2011, 18:56:04 »

The ventilation in my bedroom worked fine ... I'm sure they did switch things on manually, not actually activating the full emergency mode. That would have activated things all over the place that you don't want.
yours,

Cheetah

nobs

• tigress
« Reply #26 on: 27.08.2011, 15:53:27 »

As I mentioned somewhere else:

I saw several A/C in rooms set to 5°C. I guess it was because people think "I want it cooler, so I turn it down".

Try to understand how this thing works:

Cold stuff is supplied by a central system. Typically with something like 15°C.

Now you ask for 5°C. Teh system "sees" that the delivered air is warmer than the temperature you asked for.

Therefor it closes the vent and "waits" for better supply, that never will come.

Next time try something like 20°C (which is cool enough when we have 30°C outside) and enjoy your working A/C.

More modern systems have a "just ON"-position below some reasonable point like 18°C. But this system was too old, so you have to understand how it works to get the best of it.

I hope I could have helped for the next time.
just an average con goer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up