Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Purple Feedback  (Read 22145 times)

Keenora

• Programming
  • Purple woof wants belly rubs :3
    • Kee's Life
Purple Feedback
« on: 23.08.2011, 11:22:22 »

Soo, for me,the EF was really great, except some little things which were....kinda annoying.
At first and for me a main reason, was, that there was a fetish-gear horse thing, which ran around. As far as I heared it, he got some special allowment to run around at the con. I dunno who it was, nor I care about what he is wearing. But there were camera teams and a lot of children...so I totally not get it, why he was able to run around like that...

Another point were the stairs. At the opening ceremoney you told us, that the stairs will be useable for everyone, but the second floor was closed all the time. Some other floors havn't had a doorknob and were holded open with something between the door and the wall. But at least the second floor was closed all the time, when I wanted to get upstairs >.< Was a bit annoying, 'cause at some times, like in the pause of the Pawpetshow, I wanted to get upstairs, 'cause I was in suit and the elevators were just overcrowded, so I wanted to take the stairs :/

So, these points were the main things, which are stucked in my mind. But, there were a LOT of things, you changed in a good way! I really love the extra fans you put in the fursuit lounge. I cannot believe that it was still too less for all the suiters. What percentage of suiter were there actually on the con? o.o
And I really love the opening ceremoney, compared to the short words you did the last times. The way you did it this year was very useful and the ppl got all the information they needed. Another thing was the App and the calender, which made me really happy :D
The Pawpet show was also even better then the last ones. Well nothing compared to the one on EF12 :P ( I so loved the special effects )
Also I am very happy about the fact, that you put the group photoshoot and the fursuit photoshoot at those new times. No one would have been able to attend those on Sunday after BBFs dance and Kenais extra-songs at the end :3 Also it was very good to see two Dealer Dens! It was not so crowded anymore.

And, seriously, I have to say something now, which is really important. owolf did a GREAT and AMAZING job with all the camera teams on Friday. He managed to coordinate like 4 teams at the same time and also a few other reporters.

After all, I can say, it was a HELL of a party :D It was so great to have a lot of fun. Shame that some of my friends got in a depressive mood somehow...well, changeable next time ^^°

Thank you everyone for this awesome con! :D

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Purple Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 23.08.2011, 13:04:22 »

Soo, for me,the EF was really great, except some little things which were....kinda annoying.
At first and for me a main reason, was, that there was a fetish-gear horse thing, which ran around. As far as I heared it, he got some special allowment to run around at the con. I dunno who it was, nor I care about what he is wearing. But there were camera teams and a lot of children...so I totally not get it, why he was able to run around like that...

Can you point me to a name or a picture? I would like to know who we're talking about, since I don't remember anyone like that.

Another point were the stairs. At the opening ceremoney you told us, that the stairs will be useable for everyone, but the second floor was closed all the time. Some other floors havn't had a doorknob and were holded open with something between the door and the wall. But at least the second floor was closed all the time, when I wanted to get upstairs >.< Was a bit annoying, 'cause at some times, like in the pause of the Pawpetshow, I wanted to get upstairs, 'cause I was in suit and the elevators were just overcrowded, so I wanted to take the stairs :/

The hotel promised us to have all floors open in the left-hand-side staircases, and all floors I checked (not all of them) were indeed open. You're the first one to tell me! When did you find out about it, and who did you contact at the consite? It sounds like something that would have been really easy to fix in a couple of minutes if only I had known about it.

So, these points were the main things, which are stucked in my mind. But, there were a LOT of things, you changed in a good way! I really love the extra fans you put in the fursuit lounge. I cannot believe that it was still too less for all the suiters. What percentage of suiter were there actually on the con? o.o

We have an online statistic about that:

http://www.eurofurence.org/regstats/demogfx.html

Yup, almost 40% this year. Fursuits have become THE thing.

And I really love the opening ceremoney, compared to the short words you did the last times. The way you did it this year was very useful and the ppl got all the information they needed. Another thing was the App and the calender, which made me really happy :D

Thanks! We (and especially myself personally) were rather unhappy how last years opening went, and thanks to Pinky and the Stage Team, we were able to have something more structured on stage this time. I'm also very happy how it turned out, and unlike in previous years, it was even fun being up there with everyone else. So this is going to stay. I like my opening "anthrocon style" :)

The Pawpet show was also even better then the last ones. Well nothing compared to the one on EF12 :P ( I so loved the special effects )
Also I am very happy about the fact, that you put the group photoshoot and the fursuit photoshoot at those new times. No one would have been able to attend those on Sunday after BBFs dance and Kenais extra-songs at the end :3 Also it was very good to see two Dealer Dens! It was not so crowded anymore.

Thanks again ... we got a lot of criticism for that in the past, and we did a lot of restructuring of the timetable. Have you noticed the longer breaks between events, and increased numbers of event rooms too? Removing all events from Sunday except for the dead dog also meant a great deal of stress relief for the staff. And looking at last year's dealers den, extending it to a second room was almost inevitable. We ended up with a long waiting list, and it was so cramped it really dampened the good spirits quite a bit.

And, seriously, I have to say something now, which is really important. owolf did a GREAT and AMAZING job with all the camera teams on Friday. He managed to coordinate like 4 teams at the same time and also a few other reporters.

Now I wish those reporters would also read the goddamn fact sheets we handed them. I'm really disappointed how BAD these journalists do their work. The team of MDR (public television) even spelled our convention's name wrong - apparently I'm the chairman of "Interfurence" now :)

After all, I can say, it was a HELL of a party :D It was so great to have a lot of fun. Shame that some of my friends got in a depressive mood somehow...well, changeable next time ^^° Thank you everyone for this awesome con! :D

You're very welcome! And this time I can safely say ... we enjoyed running this convention in just the same way. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.
yours,

Cheetah

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #2 on: 23.08.2011, 13:29:04 »

Can you point me to a name or a picture? I would like to know who we're talking about, since I don't remember anyone like that.

Example:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=magdeburgerlokalanzeig5diw.jpg#

Bottom right picture, leftmost person - that suit, while extremely sophisticated and somewhat aesthetic, crosses the "line" on many levels...

I also found some of the lycra suits questionable, but it's really hard to draw any lines there.

I suppose it would open a whole can of worms if EF started pre-approving suits... (I suppose the suiter badges are kind of a step on that way)... but maybe it's necessary. EF shapes its own mainstream culture, and with 40% suiters, likely more next year, they can make a really strong impact.
« Last Edit: 23.08.2011, 13:32:41 by Thygrrr »
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #3 on: 23.08.2011, 14:18:01 »

First off, I really, really hate being fashion police. However, first and foremost, we are a furry convention, so it wouldn't make sense to allow even the most sophisticated piece of historical victorian garb, no matter how well done, if the other guests object to it.

This year I attempted to be a little more lax with our outfit rules to get some actual feedback. You may have seen some bodypainters hobbling about, as well as the odd lycra-based suit. Those were, in my opinion, not indecent and still looked "furry enough" in my book. The material used is of secondary concern, just ask some scalies there.

However, this leather-armor suit has been objected to more than once, by independent people, so we'll be having a better idea of where the limits of our attendees are. Bodypainting worked out well, though. We'll adjust our limits accordingly.

*hugs*
  Gyro
Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

Keenora

• Programming
    • Kee's Life
« Reply #4 on: 23.08.2011, 17:40:34 »

Well, Gyro, I heared a lot of Furries, who actually pointed that guy out. Especially at the DanceCompetition he sat there not that far from the jury away. And I asked a few of my friends and everyone was like: Okaaay...thats not ok :/

Well, as I said, I dont care what they are doing, or well, a compromise, let they do it at night or something. But definatly not in front of the camera teams or the children. Of course, the society is getting more open and nobody cares so far. But if the non-furry society is seeing this, it just generates the wrong idea o.o

I totally can understand Gyro though! Its hard to decide and when you decide, however what, you get 50% friends and 50% enemies. Its difficult and I really respect your position there. I still hope, its possible to find a solution for that o.o

For Cheetah, well, that fact with the stairs really havn't bothered me that much on Saturday evening anymore. If it would have been for the whole week, than I would probably have told that to some staff member. But for the last day? Nah, thats ok so far :3 It can happen :)

White_Dragon

• ConOps Office Manager
  • ConOps
  • Cuddly Dwaggy , Free hugs
« Reply #5 on: 23.08.2011, 21:23:39 »

I was also quite upset seen some leather suits. Specially in public places during day.

Now when I see that photo in newspaper I really wonder what message it have had send to public and youngsters.
EF ConOps only place where " Dragons " rule , you find " solution " to your problems and  you got " eaten " for disobedience.  :)

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
« Reply #6 on: 23.08.2011, 22:09:42 »

Hey, guys, come on! I mean, honestly, RTL (biggest German private TV station) even did an interview with him, and not once took the chance to show anything but his head. So if even yellow press / media considered him to be less of a freak than suits with boobs, skirts, etc -- leather being a fetish and not just a material might only be in your head ...

leinir

• Leinir's online home
« Reply #7 on: 23.08.2011, 22:15:57 »

Hey, guys, come on! I mean, honestly, RTL (biggest German private TV station) even did an interview with him, and not once took the chance to show anything but his head. So if even yellow press / media considered him to be less of a freak than suits with boobs, skirts, etc -- leather being a fetish and not just a material might only be in your head ...

If i might be so bold as to make a statement of a decidedly interwebish quality: This.
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

"A Vast Swimmer Keeps No Pets"
 - Seamus Z. Harper, Andromeda 1:14

Keenora

• Programming
    • Kee's Life
« Reply #8 on: 23.08.2011, 23:40:17 »

leather being a fetish and not just a material might only be in your head ...

This might be, yeah. But if a non furry person see's it, this thought is probably the first one in their mind. I decided to not show this recording to my parents, for example. They are >60 years and I know, what my mum would think. I dont take them as a rate for everyone outthere. But its just the fact, that ppl think that stuff...
Could end up in a loooong flaming discussion :/

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #9 on: 24.08.2011, 00:51:57 »

Hmmm.ok, point taken. The winfoxi suit was more revealing than leatherhorse.. ^.^ And some of the body painters were even less clothed.

Keenora

• Programming
    • Kee's Life
« Reply #10 on: 24.08.2011, 01:24:53 »

Hmmm.ok, point taken. The winfoxi suit was more revealing than leatherhorse.. ^.^ And some of the body painters were even less clothed.

So true :/

karpour

• Charity
  • Roo!
    • ohnitsch
« Reply #11 on: 24.08.2011, 12:39:41 »

Absolutely agree.
Honestly, I don't get why there always seems to be one exception being made. I remember another costume that looked very similar (horse that was basically built out of fetish gear) running around at previous EFs, and he never got sent away.
Especially since security is usually very strict about the rules (not a bad thing) and in usually things that are questionable are forbidden.
I really love showing reports and photos to friends and family, but this guy kind of makes a lot of photos awkward.

Well, at least this was the only annoying thing this year.. I feel sorry for the person with the really cute suit in the newspaper next to leatherfetishguy.

Please, next year don't make exceptions on this!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 24.08.2011, 13:09:55 »

Hello,

this is a pretty hot topic, and I would like to chime in. I would like to find out what makes this costume so offensive to you. Because, quite honestly, I think it looks rather cool. To me it looks like a piece of well crafted leather plate armour with a wolf head on it, and most interestingly ... none of the press or the public took any offense as far as I know. And also, as far as I know, the wearer did not engage in any questionable behaviour in public ... and even seemed to be very sensible when talking to the media. And the wearer also complied to our rules of conduct, and contacted us in advance, and we gave him permission to wear his leather wolf (and declined his request to wear two other costumes in public, just for the record). From a purely rational standpoint, everything was (to my knowledge) perfectly in order.

Now, I do sense a lot of negative emotions, and I would like to find out what causes these emotions. I've seen far more revealing (or outright ugly) suits than the leather wolf, and a lot of cases of wardrobe fail that I found a lot more offensive. But I only see very few complaints about those. So my theory is, that there is more behind these negative emotions than just the outer appearance, and I'd like to find out what it is.
« Last Edit: 24.08.2011, 14:02:14 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Kisu

• Mr Panther
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 24.08.2011, 13:21:28 »

I've seen some leather wolf heads and armor in larp rp events in past years (even two kids rp'ing wolves) and its first time I hear its offensive.
I did not see the guys wearing these costumes at EF so I'm not sure how offensive those looked but the one on TV report was quite similar as larps I've been in.

Maybe they dont fit EF I dont know but there's been all kinds of things past years like klingons, stormtroopers and stuff the fur conventions and other conventions are combining and as they grow massively its hard to keep em appart I thinks.

Even local roleplaying conventions and anime cons now include regular furries, they dont mind "our" suits.

If you ask me, I'd like it to be just fursuits. I like body painters but dont like to hug one in my suit, I like leather armors of them awesomeness but would prob keep them just on larps aaand I like lycras how they look but realy dont know if they'd fit in this community.

Just my 2 cents :3
- Kisu
The name 'leopard' may derive from an old notion that leopards were the result of crosses between lions (leo) and panthers (pard).

Druon

« Reply #14 on: 24.08.2011, 13:23:59 »

Personally I think some furs are just victims of their own preconceptions here. I recall that leather plate armor guy and actually found it quite interesting to see such a different approach to something resembling a (fur-)suit. Some other people catched my eye, one who had these almost naked looking legs (due to some latex stuff I think?) and a couple of people in bodypainting. But other than them being an unsual sight that made me kinda look twice, there was nothing negative about them. 

I think it very much has to do with how a fur acts and behaves him- or herself in such suits/dresses, that should determine whether or not they are allowed to show their stuff at EF. If someone acts mature and with common sense, I like to give the benefit of doubt even if the costume is unusual and might take some time getting used to. And as Gyroplast said, noone likes playing fashion police much. So unless someone has something more solid to offer against those than pure subjective aesthetics, I would very much like to see those people again that way in the years to come.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up