Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi folks  (Read 25949 times)

Mackie

Hi folks
« on: 07.06.2007, 06:29:12 »

*waves*

Hey folks, I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to Eurofurence, but planning on attending 2007 ( realistically i'll make the 2008, but heres hoping) and theres a few things i'd like to ask. I've read the boards for the past couple of days and everyone seems decent, if I'm asking a question that you're sick of answering or theres a post i've missed, please feel free to point me in the right direction ( i doubt that'll be a problem :P)

1) I tend to lack a fursuit. Yeah, its my major concern at the moment. I've been looking around for places that do good work, but i've not found one that feels "right"
I saw an old thread where someone was asking for links to fursuit makers, but wondered if there might have been some other places that are more recently active / recommended.

2) I'm a newbie. I dont know anyone, and my other concern is i'll be sat like a prune. Does anyone have any hints / tips?

3) Are there any sort of unwritten rules? I read somewhere that talking in costume isnt really the done thing, but its up to you if you do it. Are there many other "rules" like this?

4) Have I made a fool out of myself yet?  :D

Anyway, back to work (yay :-[)
look forward to reading your replies (if any)

Mackie.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Hi folks
« Reply #1 on: 07.06.2007, 13:39:08 »

Hi Mackey!

Welcome to the EF crowd :)

1) I tend to lack a fursuit. Yeah, its my major concern at the moment. I've been looking around for places that do good work, but i've not found one that feels "right". I saw an old thread where someone was asking for links to fursuit makers, but wondered if there might have been some other places that are more recently active / recommended.

I'm not an expert on this .. so I'll leave the answer to the fursuiters :)

2) I'm a newbie. I dont know anyone, and my other concern is i'll be sat like a prune. Does anyone have any hints / tips?

Well, I'd suggest making some contacts online before the con, so you've got someone you can meet up and maybe hang around with. That makes things much easier. Other than that ... take part in the con activities, like the talks and workshops and such ... there'll be lots of like-minded furs around to talk to.

3) Are there any sort of unwritten rules? I read somewhere that talking in costume isnt really the done thing, but its up to you if you do it. Are there many other "rules" like this?

There are some rules, but not many. Some considere it unappropriate to take off your fursuit head off in public, because it destroys the illusion of your character. Talking in suit depends on if you don't mind being "out of character", and on how well one can hear you ... most fursuit heads are surprisingly soundproof :) EF provides a "headless lounge" for this purpose. A place where you can ge dressed and undressed, have a drink with your fursuit head off, do readjustments and repairs, all outside the view of the public.

It's not really a "rule" per se ... it's more a way to make the best impression on everyone.

4) Have I made a fool out of myself yet?  :D

No, absolutely not :) These are all very valid questions.
yours,

Cheetah

Recherei

« Reply #2 on: 07.06.2007, 15:38:07 »

A few breif observations:

Approximatly 10% of furries have fursuits and bring them to cons.

Best place to start your search for a suit would be www.fursuit.org.

Good fursuits can run 700 - 2,000 USD.  Partial suits,  (a head, a tail, hands and feet), will run less.

The general opinion is it pays to have one custom made rather than off the rack.  Building a suit with friends is also an option.

Recherei

« Reply #3 on: 07.06.2007, 15:51:22 »

Also, you may want to look a related thread from Anthrocon's forum:

http://www.anthrocon.org/node/512

Colifox/Rizzorat

• Rat face!
    • Colifox's FA account
« Reply #4 on: 07.06.2007, 22:31:01 »

1)  It is indeed a bit difficult to acquire a nice suit unless you have the funding.  It really does depend on your likes and tastes as there is a wide range of suit builders and makers out there.  I myself have a second hand suit - you may wish to choose this route for a first suit rather than rushing in and spending thousands.  Or, do as I am doing and create your own.  Granted, this takes a bit of skill, but is also satisfying when you finished parts and they can be recognised for what they are.

2)  Im not a newbie but this is still a concern of mine.  However, you will find that nearly all furs at a con are approachable and friendly.  Ok i should take this advise myself but I too am nervous and scared to approach people.  generally tho, if you know somoene there, you are never left out of the loop.

3)  There are indeed unwritten rules - so to speak - but subject to opinion.  Personally, I indeed think it unacceptable to de-head yourself in public.  It, as cheetah pointed out, takes you out of character and ruins the illusion, especially if there are children around.   Talking in frusuit depends on the suit.  I dont talk in my current suit but have seen and heard talking suits and based on their design, it worked wonderfully!  Another rule is dont go groping people in suits!!  For some reason, som epeople think that fursuiters wish this to happen.  It isnt acceptable behaviour and you wouldnt walk upto a strange in the street and do it.

4) Not at all :)
'Forgive me for not jumping for joy - bad back you know ~Scar, The Lion King'

Mackie

« Reply #5 on: 08.06.2007, 01:16:48 »

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, its good to see that things are alive and kicking.

Only 10% bring a suit? I've watched some videos of old parades and walkabouts, they look like massive fun.( one that springs to mind was Pup? sat on a wall)
As for suit makers, I've narrowed down to Lacys? and Snow Paw Studios? as a few, does anyone have any comments or any others that are worth mentioning?Budget isnt really an issue, I can afford to spend up to £800 ($1600) reasonably. I'd need to get a suit made as i'm a bit of shortend :P

Recherei

« Reply #6 on: 08.06.2007, 01:42:50 »

Any suit builder of note will have back orders and it may take up to a year or more before delivery.

Colifox/Rizzorat

• Rat face!
    • Colifox's FA account
« Reply #7 on: 09.06.2007, 14:19:33 »

as per above post, unfortunately, its not really realistic you will get a commissioned suit now pre EF...  at least...not this year!  When it gets to con season, they will be busy with orders as it is but as it was rightly pointed out, some of the big name builders can take upwards of a year or more to get your order fulfilled.  Not because they dont like you or anything, just because they are in so much demand ;)

'Forgive me for not jumping for joy - bad back you know ~Scar, The Lion King'

Recherei

« Reply #8 on: 09.06.2007, 19:18:23 »

But it can help to be "the friend of a friend".

Lokosicek

• Lokosicek at WikiFur
« Reply #9 on: 18.06.2007, 03:48:22 »

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, its good to see that things are alive and kicking.

Only 10% bring a suit? I've watched some videos of old parades and walkabouts, they look like massive fun.( one that springs to mind was Pup? sat on a wall)
As for suit makers, I've narrowed down to Lacys? and Snow Paw Studios? as a few, does anyone have any comments or any others that are worth mentioning?Budget isnt really an issue, I can afford to spend up to £800 ($1600) reasonably. I'd need to get a suit made as i'm a bit of shortend :P

Have you considered making one yourself? There are lot of links and tutorials in the fursuiters forum. I made my suit myself and it was not that hard. You dont full suit in the beginning, consider making just headpiece and both fore- and hind- paws. You still have time... 3 months...
Phantom of LiveJournals and EF forums...

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #10 on: 14.07.2007, 14:28:21 »

I've been working on my full body suit for a couple of weeks now and fortunately it didn't cost me that much (say €120, gas included). I got some help from my grandpa who has this handdriven sewing machine... it works great!

I did buy a lot of fake fur, but I'm still surprised how much goes into a suit. Considering I'm 2.05 meters, that's one hell of a job ;D! Still have to finish the head, the tail and the feet though.
A box of chocolates is like a fursuit, you never know what's inside...

whitewulfe

« Reply #11 on: 17.07.2007, 11:19:05 »

I've been working on my full body suit for a couple of weeks now and fortunately it didn't cost me that much (say €120, gas included). I got some help from my grandpa who has this handdriven sewing machine... it works great!

I did buy a lot of fake fur, but I'm still surprised how much goes into a suit. Considering I'm 2.05 meters, that's one hell of a job ;D! Still have to finish the head, the tail and the feet though.

205?!?!  *blinks* Wow, and I thought I was tall at 183.... I feel short all of a sudden....

Lokosicek

• Lokosicek at WikiFur
« Reply #12 on: 17.07.2007, 12:17:08 »

Yup... Barney is a BIG doggy  ;D I already learned it is somehow hard to hug people of different heights :) Now imagine how hard it will be for Barney to hug persons less then 170 cm high :)
Phantom of LiveJournals and EF forums...

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: 17.07.2007, 12:17:55 »

205?!?!  *blinks* Wow, and I thought I was tall at 183.... I feel short all of a sudden....

Yeah, you're not the only one... I think I might be overlooking all the furs during the parade... I sure hope the doors are high enough in the hotel ;D otherwise I might encounter some serious headaches again... :-\.

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #14 on: 17.07.2007, 12:20:18 »

Yup... Barney is a BIG doggy  ;D I already learned it is somehow hard to hug people of different heights :) Now imagine how hard it will be for Barney to hug persons less then 170 cm high :)

Well, experiences from a past a long, long time ago... I'll probably have to sit on my knees then ;D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up