Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EF18 Feedback  (Read 111166 times)

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!
Re: EF18 Feedback
« Reply #60 on: 06.09.2012, 22:20:36 »

Regarding the pillows, there were extra pillows in the big closet. I put one of those on top of the other pillow which I'd folded in half, that helped :)
Registration & Social Media staff

SlyCat

• SlyCat's Pad
« Reply #61 on: 06.09.2012, 22:23:37 »

Regarding the pillows, there were extra pillows in the big closet. I put one of those on top of the other pillow which I'd folded in half, that helped :)

Yeah, that helped, but only learnt about that after the damage had been done :-/

Bigwig

• Suitname: Shadowhunter
« Reply #62 on: 06.09.2012, 23:11:35 »

Thanks for EF18, some things I like to mention

- I hurried after the fursuit-walk to make it to the artshow at Friday 17:15 getting the wrong information by security there it closes at 17:00.
  Additionally I got told the trick to apply for a bidder stickers to be able to stay during the closing even when not bidding. Just what I'll do next year...
- WLAN offered stable connect but usually the DHCP server was not answering even though you had 16-Bit netmask. Packet loss rates of 50% may
  give a clue why - got better the next days. Maybe additionally offering 5 GHz WLan in the Lobby would help?
- Write furry names on badges readable from far. Many furries have small names, use a bigger font for those 3/4 with short names.
- walking a 20% ramp uphill and if just for 10 meters is difficult to suiters using velcro attached sandals
- Block the traffic when it gets dangerous for suiters! I felt highly alerted in a fursuit with 5 rows of fursuiters behind me possibly not seeing too much
  with a tram driving by with 10 km/h and just half a meter away from me. If necessary stop it and don't try to give way when there is not enough of it.
  It could not have stopped in time if someone would have stumbled due to heat or backpreasure.

Tsanawo

• Stage Tech
  • Stage Team
  • Silly Raccoon
    • DutchPaw
« Reply #63 on: 06.09.2012, 23:33:39 »

Bigger print of the nick on the badges would be nice.

Completely forgot - I fully second this. I feel like an ass every time I bend over, staring at someone's belly (or, for shorter people... you know what I mean) just to read a name. =)

You could just ask... ? I dunnow. I'm actually fine with the size of the badges as they are printed now. :)
If all the world’s a stage… I want better lighting!

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #64 on: 06.09.2012, 23:44:35 »

Additionally I got told the trick to apply for a bidder stickers to be able to stay during the closing even when not bidding. Just what I'll do next year...

Please, if you do not intend to bid anyway, do not attend the closing. There is a huge number of people in the room already, and every extra may be blocking the way, preventing the quick progressing of the closing, even causing the doors to be closed for others (who may actually want to bid) because the maximum occupancy is exceeded.

The reason why only people with bidsheets are allowed in the room during closing is not because we love so much to annoy guests, or we need to get rid of printed bid stickers. It's to keep the attendance at a limit, to protect the art (some of it actually breakable) and the safety of our guests. If everybody undermines that purpose, we might as well drop the rule - but then we'd need to implement other measures which may be even more awkward.

Be fair to others, help playing it safe  :)

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #65 on: 06.09.2012, 23:47:43 »

You could just ask... ? I dunnow. I'm actually fine with the size of the badges as they are printed now. :)
That would work if I wasn't so bad with remembering names. Asking a person for the 3rd or 4th time in 1-2 days makes me feel like even more of an ass. =P

Knowing I'm not the only one at the con with this problem (I've heard very many people say the same thing) helps with feeling like less of an ass, but then again, it can also be seen as another reason to indeed increase the size. xD
Did you know? Smiles are contagious. Try it!

Bigwig

• Suitname: Shadowhunter
« Reply #66 on: 06.09.2012, 23:51:01 »

Knowing I'm not the only one at the con with this problem (I've heard very many people say the same thing) helps with feeling like less of an ass, but then again, it can also be seen as another reason to indeed increase the size. xD

Exactly the same here!

Indigo Icetalons

• Charity
« Reply #67 on: 07.09.2012, 00:16:28 »

I think having names that are easily readable from outside the comfort zone without bending over or sqautting would result in keycards the size of your hand. Not a good idea. That's why most people get a personalized badge up front or in the dealers den.

Codewolf

« Reply #68 on: 07.09.2012, 00:17:40 »

- Block the traffic when it gets dangerous for suiters! I felt highly alerted in a fursuit with 5 rows of fursuiters behind me possibly not seeing too much
  with a tram driving by with 10 km/h and just half a meter away from me. If necessary stop it and don't try to give way when there is not enough of it.
  It could not have stopped in time if someone would have stumbled due to heat or backpreasure.
we are legally not allowed to stop the traffic, the security team and the response team did as much as we could (we even managed to teleport a few times :P) to try and get to the next road in time for the majority of the fursuiters :)

BHO

« Reply #69 on: 07.09.2012, 08:21:50 »

I hope I am not out of place to ask this here, but I have a question (a request rather) for the art show team. I didn't attend in person, but I had an agent handling my art at the con side. I met him yesterday and we talked a bit about how things went for him and I got to know that he had to relocate one of my pictures to another panel because mine got too crowded. Now I don't mind the relocation part as such, I just try really hard to prepare my sent-in art as good as I can to leave my agent with as little work as possible, which also means I prepare my panel at home and try to fit all my art on it. There is just the thing that I keep forgetting that there is of course the supporting wooden frame of the panel on its back that takes away a few cm of usable space.

Would it somehow be possible to measure how big the actually usable panel space is for those who use the panel space provided to the fullest? I know one shouldn't cram the panels _too_ hard but what works on your bedroom floor doesn't necessarily work out in the end in the art show. I just really wish to avoid any trouble for my agents and the art show staff (as I have been told my relocated/ removed picture caused some confusion).

So here is the question if there is any chance to add this bit of information (or maybe just an explicit reminder) in the art show section of the upcoming homepage that there are areas of the panel that can not be used. :) If this is not my place to ask, I apologize!
And the bar tender says to Renee Descartes, "Another beer?" And Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #70 on: 07.09.2012, 10:40:38 »

There is just the thing that I keep forgetting that there is of course the supporting wooden frame of the panel on its back that takes away a few cm of usable space.

Would it somehow be possible to measure how big the actually usable panel space is for those who use the panel space provided to the fullest? I know one shouldn't cram the panels _too_ hard but what works on your bedroom floor doesn't necessarily work out in the end in the art show. I just really wish to avoid any trouble for my agents and the art show staff (as I have been told my relocated/ removed picture caused some confusion).

Well... while the front plate with the holes has a measure of 2x1 meters per full panel, it rests on a framework of beams. That means that in a (ca.) five centimeter outer frame around the panel, and on a five centimeter wide vertical area in the middle of the panel, the holes are not usable (the framework is generally built like [|] well with wider sections of course ;D )

Normally, the bottom and side framework doesn't really matter because you won't hang the images that close to these edges of the panel (okay, with your very small Critter Portraits you may actually have run into that limitation), but the top framework actually blocks these 5cm. In addition, it depends on where on your image the eye is where the hook connects - the hook itself has at least 2cm height (I can only guess, have no hook here...) so the hole for your hook needs to be even higher.

Normally you should be safe if you leave 6-7 cm empty on the top of the panel, look out that very small exhibits do not hang at the right or left side or collect in the middle of the panel, and have a few centimeters of maneuvering space to get around any framework support beams.

One caveat: The panels have been built over many years by different people and even different organizations. There are a few panels that use a slightly different framework. We cannot guarantee what panel type you get, so ultimately be prepared to shift your images a few centimeters to accommodate.

BHO

« Reply #71 on: 07.09.2012, 11:24:33 »

So basically I should just keep in mind that there might be a 6 cm wide border and a 6cm area in the middle in which I might not be able to pose art?

Since I am a master of bringing art smaller than the bidsheets (as you already noticed) I guess I am comming across new and innovative panel problems over the time. *g* But instead of just bitching I want at least to try finding a solution for this. :)

I will try to keep all this in mind for the next time I should need it. Do you think it's wise or even necessary to add this kind of information to the homepage next year or am I the only one being a pest again? XD

Also thanks for the super fast reply! :D
And the bar tender says to Renee Descartes, "Another beer?" And Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.

Ralesk

« Reply #72 on: 07.09.2012, 11:30:41 »

Cairyn:

Last year I had an expensive (and borrowed) camera with me, and felt rather uncomfortable with leaving my stuff outside.  This year that wasn't the case, but there's been even more non-congoers in the lobby than the years before, and so I felt uncomfortable with different reasons.  So here we go, I'll bring this up again: could we get a single table next to the door in the art show room, inside, on (and under) which we could put our valuables?  There's always a bunch of security checking badges, so this would put valuables in a place where the public cannot go, and one of them could check that people indeed remove their cameras (etc.) before moving on — the desk otherwise doesn't need to be accounted for, and I doubt that any con-goer would take someone else's stuff (but if they do, we can then know where to look).
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
Seating time vs Start time
« Reply #73 on: 07.09.2012, 12:23:59 »

First of all, EF was absolutely great! I went into a state of sheer extacy on Wednesday, and (except for a few lack-of-sleep induced turbulences) hardly ever went down until the con ended!

One thing I found quite confusing (though no one else has commented on this yet) was that different EF media were not consistent in the start time announced for events: At least EFprime was announcing the seating time (which usually was 30min before an event started), whereas other media (pocket planner, Daily, ...) announced the start time itself. Also, "Excel-style" timetables never fails to confuse me, esp. if all horizontal lines have the same size -- is the time written on the left side supposed to label the line below it (which is typical of Western typography) or the line above it (which is what you would do if the lines are to denote boxes)? You would do a great favor to me if these time tables could be layouted in a less ambiguous way, or repeated in the boxes.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #74 on: 07.09.2012, 13:20:25 »

Greetings, I have a bit of feedback for you.

Schedule - Sheduling at the con was extremely poorly done, there were basically two blocks of all the panels so rather then being able to attend a few, it was a case of one or nothing. Just because I fursuit doesn't mean I won't want to go to panels about other things. It would have been so much better if they had been placed to run two or three events and then a next set of things spread out better.

If the intention was to provide a lunch or dinner break it's been my experience that people will take them when they want to. Forcing things into a narrow band creates an overload on the food outlets both in and around the convention leading to delays in serving.

In addition, the fursuit games preliminaries were scheduled at the same time as the fursuit photoshoot. A bit of a clash within an interest really. Also to put the fursuit games at 22:30 was pointless, I really wanted to go in for them, but that was too late really. In the end it became around 00:00 for a start because of the late start of the concert. So some potential audience would have either gone to the bar or bed and that would have not really been any fun to try and entertain people.

To have nothing on during the pawpets show was a bit disappointing too, not everyone wants to see puppets and such so something as an alternative would have really been nice to see.

Also, there was no closing ceremony or feedback session? I would have thought that they would have been rather good things to see. Although I am told there was somthing said at the end of pawpets, which connects to my previous point.

Photoshoot: I think it has already been mentioned about the fursuit photoshoot not having enough spots. To restrict things to ten minute slots is bound to create a bottleneck on slots being free for people. Some might want to have more time for larger amounts of pictures. So perhaps one day of the full slots with longer hours and then two days of turn up and shoot things would give far more chance for people to have pictures taken. Of course the most interesting thing for me was on the last day of the photoshoot I turned up an hour early to make sure I was able to get a slot. When they were ready to sign up we were told there was only twelve slots left. I was first in the queue and there were already three names on the list. That's just not on, if you're giving people a one day sign up each day, how can it be morally right to give slots away prior to this? We ere also asked to consider sharing our slots to give more people a 
change at getting photos. Not really fair on us when others were able to take advantage of the full ten minute slots. Now even though I was on the last slot of the scheduled day, we were delayed whilst others had some shots taken and the film crew came in. I started to overheat and went to go and cool down in the suit lounge only to find the fans had been turned down for the filming.

Stairs: After the delayed group photo I went to take the stairs to my room as there was many suiters that would need to use the lifts more then I did. I went up the right hand staircase that was signed for all floors only to find that all the accommodation doors were locked. Coming back down I told a passing staff/security member who said they were only for the C level. This is not what the sign said so I showed him directly and he removed the sign. Details like that really need checking first before putting signs up. Before finding him though I naturally went to conops to tell them it was locked, only to find conops left unstaffed. With the amount of staff EF has I found this very surprising.

Art auction: During the art auction all of the runners were handling art without using any protective gloves to stop marks and such being put on to the canvas or art frame. Could this please be looked at for next year? I found it interesting to note that the screens showed uncencored versions of the artwork being sold. Not everyone wants to see that sort of thing and it would be nice not to have it enlarged up there.

Housekeeping: I don't know what happened with them, but the room servicing seemed to be getting later and later and they kept missing items needing to be done. We had our cups cleared away and not replaced on one day, the bin not emptied and beds not done until gone 18:00. For a four star hotel this was rather a surprising lapse in quality of service.

Hotel space: The hotel itself was ogf a good standard and the rooms were certainly spacious enough for everything to be free moving. I never had to wait that long at the bars or for information from the hotel staff.

Dealers Den: Security was controlling the numbers into the dealers den quite loosely it seemed with several coming out sometimes before people were being let in. It took thirty minutes for me to make it to the front of the queue and then ten minutes before I could get into the room. The den istself seemed to be rather spacious and could have accommodated more people at a time to keep the queue down.

Sponsors: I don't really think as a sponsor I got value for money. Essentially there was a coin and a tshirt provided as well as a late arriving pin. But supersponsors got the early entry into the den and exclusive events and flask. Now I really think sponsors should have at least gotten early entry into the den, I'm not bothered about getting better seating for events as for the most part the main stage events were not of interest to me.

Overall the I would say the social experience was excellent, but the con experience was mediocre after all the hype and build up I'd heard about EF before.
More is more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up