Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fursuit Lounge (EF18)  (Read 39729 times)

Jake R

• Fursuit support
Re: Fursuit Lounge
« Reply #30 on: 06.09.2012, 01:45:58 »

It might work, but the path in front of the tables would be narrow and could get crowded easily. Not to mention the big amount of extra boards required (I'm not sure if there are any more available).

I'd rather let this be handled by Mystifur, though - this goes a bit further than speculation on what could be good ideas, and into specific implementations.
Did you know? Smiles are contagious. Try it!

gaz_a

« Reply #31 on: 06.09.2012, 02:44:30 »

The fursuit head drying problem seems to be a problem at every con.  Somebody will build a lovely head drying tree/rack, and people will put their head on there even though they have no intention of returning for many hours (or at the end of the con!).   Maybe a few signs along the row might help?  "1HR MAX / *NOT* FOR STORAGE" ?

enteirah

« Reply #32 on: 06.09.2012, 08:40:40 »

The only bit of feedback I can really give on the Fursuit Lounge (as I wasn't able to use it despite being a fursuiter :p) is more to do with security and access to the lounge.

In previous years, I've understood the fursuit badges have always just been a bit of a 'nice' item, more there for people who have a different name for their fursuit to what they have for their main badge/registration, and certainly I've never bothered getting one as my suit just has the same name. Security on the door this year informed me that they were now mandatory to use the fursuit lounge though and that just having a fursuit isn't enough (bit irritating when you've just carried the whole suit over from the overflow hotel with you, but I'll live). Assuming this was correct, it's a fair enough change in policy and understandable to keep the lounge from being overcrowded with non-suiters, but could the specific dependence on the fursuit badges be better communicated in advance next year? I'd not really spotted anything in the pre-release posts on the badges suggesting the increased importance of them this time round, nor does the conbook seem to mention it under either the lounge or reg sections. If the info on what is quite an important rule is better put across next year it could probably avoid some disappointment on the door. :)
« Last Edit: 06.09.2012, 08:45:47 by enteirah »

krakendwaggin

• Krakenplex Productions
« Reply #33 on: 06.09.2012, 08:57:55 »

The only bit of feedback I can really give on the Fursuit Lounge (as I wasn't able to use it despite being a fursuiter :p) is more to do with security and access to the lounge.

In previous years, I've understood the fursuit badges have always just been a bit of a 'nice' item, more there for people who have a different name for their fursuit to what they have for their main badge/registration, and certainly I've never bothered getting one as my suit just has the same name. Security on the door this year informed me that they were now mandatory to use the fursuit lounge though and that just having a fursuit isn't enough (bit irritating when you've just carried the whole suit over from the overflow hotel with you, but I'll live). Assuming this was correct, it's a fair enough change in policy and understandable to keep the lounge from being overcrowded with non-suiters, but could the specific dependence on the fursuit badges be better communicated in advance next year? I'd not really spotted anything in the pre-release posts on the badges suggesting the increased importance of them this time round, nor does the conbook seem to mention it under either the lounge or reg sections. If the info on what is quite an important rule is better put across next year it could probably avoid some disappointment on the door. :)

I'd always thought they were mandatory, admittedly this was my 3rd Eurofurence and this was my first time using it, last year when I helped a friend get his suit back to his room, security would only let us in since my friend had a badge with him, but yet, this year I only got asked two maybe three times to show a fursuit badge, it would make a bit more sense if they actually were mandatory since then EF can help keep tabs on those who actually wish to use the lounge, though I only noticed security around there a handful of times, most of the time it seemed like just anyone could walk in.

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #34 on: 06.09.2012, 10:26:54 »

Fursuit-Badges Though it was stated in the conbook, that the Suiter-Lounge was ment to be entered by suiters and their immediate helpers only, the Fursuit badge was - unlike last year - not mandatory. There were a few misunderstandings in the team though, which lead to the fact that some seccies were actually told that the badge would be mandatory (at least for people entering without suit), but that should have been corrected during the con. We are terribly sorry that this lead to confusion and miscommunication toward suiters.

Guard-Posts Actually we guarded the lounge only part time, since it actually costs a lot of manpower: one slot is one hour, two seccies per slot, 4 days (3 whole days, wed + sun as half day) -> 192 slots during the con - to give you a feeling what this number means: that would be around 2/3 of all other slot during the whole con! So yes - basicly anyone can walk in and there is not much we can do about it - even more so during dances, when there is easy access through the stage.
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

Gero

« Reply #35 on: 06.09.2012, 10:41:40 »

As for reducing waste: I have been thinking of placing some quick-drying, non-staining black markers in the fursuit lounge so people could mark their cups. Then, one proper cleaning every night / morning to throw out ALL the cups, and only throw out the unmarked used cups during regular sweeps through the lounge. Maybe place some tables away from the airstreams just for cups, so the cups won't get caught behind the blowers or blown away. Can anyone see any serious problems with this? Maybe someone has something to add?
The problem would be the the risk off getting suits marked with black (or whatever the collors is) paint at unwanted spots, so yes, maybe not such an neat idea after all...

krakendwaggin

• Krakenplex Productions
« Reply #36 on: 06.09.2012, 10:53:55 »

Guard-Posts Actually we guarded the lounge only part time, since it actually costs a lot of manpower: one slot is one hour, two seccies per slot, 4 days (3 whole days, wed + sun as half day) -> 192 slots during the con - to give you a feeling what this number means: that would be around 2/3 of all other slot during the whole con! So yes - basicly anyone can walk in and there is not much we can do about it - even more so during dances, when there is easy access through the stage.

Ahh, fair enough, I will still say the security team are a awesome bunch of guys ^_^

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #37 on: 06.09.2012, 11:47:34 »

Get a slow-moving belt to put the heads on.

Put this at the end of the belt.

Problem solved.  ;D
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Atalon

• Anthrocreation Costumes
« Reply #38 on: 06.09.2012, 11:57:52 »

Hi Folks

Fursuit Lounge my review.

Positive:

- Nice Racks with love build - maybe stronger Fans (Cyclone Fans - Look Bouncy Castle Fans) !
- Lots of Space for even more Racks
- Good served drink and sweets tables.
- nice People

Suggestion:

- more Security - I had a couple of time that non con people going around in the lounge. maybe hard waning signs in front of the entry could help here.
- bit more cleaning - maybe more rubbish bins would help or signs for the fursuiters - keep tidy.
- maybe a locker wardrobe with keys - for valuables since so many people using the Lounge - you never know.

Regards

Atalon

Fursuit maker since 1999
MLP and Cusom Suits as wanted

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!
« Reply #39 on: 06.09.2012, 12:08:54 »

+ Cool drinks were always available no matter the hour, thanks for refilling all the drinks dispensers so often :)
+ Candy and salty treats were always available as well, again, thanks for keeping that refilled despite the late hours
+ Clocks, yay!

People hogging the drying stations is always a problem. At Furry Weekend Holland we have a 'manager' walking around keeping an eye on things and gently placing dry suit heads/parts on another rack, but!! we have maybe 30 suiters there at most...considering the sheer amount of fursuiters at EF, I don't think there's really an easy solution for this. Taking paws/heads off of the stand and putting them somewhere else would be nearly undoable, plus it wouldn't be nice to come back and find someone has moved your stuff. Just the idea of it, I guess?
The solution should come from the suiters: use the drying devices when you need them, but don't leave your stuff and give others a chance too :) I personally don't feel I can expect EF staff to "fix" this. There is only so much they can do ^^
This aside I was very happy with the lounge :) Cooling down was quick and easy. For longterm head drying I just used my own fan in our room.

The filled cups on the table were a good idea, but I was mostly afraid of accidently knocking them over with my tail (I have big tails on some of my suits) I had to walk veeeery carefully around the tables. I liked the idea though :) But maybe put them in a corner next year or something? Wasn't a huge deal just something to consider.
Registration & Social Media staff

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #40 on: 06.09.2012, 16:15:34 »

As for reducing waste: I have been thinking of placing some quick-drying, non-staining black markers in the fursuit lounge so people could mark their cups. Then, one proper cleaning every night / morning to throw out ALL the cups, and only throw out the unmarked used cups during regular sweeps through the lounge. Maybe place some tables away from the airstreams just for cups, so the cups won't get caught behind the blowers or blown away. Can anyone see any serious problems with this? Maybe someone has something to add?
The problem would be the the risk off getting suits marked with black (or whatever the collors is) paint at unwanted spots, so yes, maybe not such an neat idea after all...

That is why I specified quick-drying non-staining markers. To prevent accidents they should probably be linked to the tables (wires + duct tape, anyone?) with the marked cups on them, out of the airstream, as I mentioned earlier. If you're afraid of getting marker on your suit, simply don't go there in suit =3 This would require such a table to be placed in the fursuit lounge somewhere though, and this is not a decision I can make.

If anybody has any other remarks, please let me know! I'm sure the furry hivemind can come up with the perfect solution sooner or later =)

Furvan

• Fursuit Support
  • Pawpet Show
    • Waschkatze
« Reply #41 on: 06.09.2012, 16:20:53 »

I dont think that these little extra trash by thin plastic cups earn the possible trouble of handling around with permanent markers.
I have to confess i done less FL checks as i planned by circumstances, but every time i cleaned every ownerless looking or grounded or skipped cup away.
Also because this was mostly at very early or very late time, where the FL was quite less visited or deserted.

Ready to use filled cups are very good and more a very need in rush hours like around the parade,
because much poeple need water NOW!,
but all other times i personaly feel better if i had filled the cup by myself or know its fresh filled.
« Last Edit: 06.09.2012, 16:59:07 by Furvan »
Officer Meow!
King of the unfinished
Lord of Animatronic =^.^=

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #42 on: 06.09.2012, 17:20:34 »

Ready to use filled cups are very good and more a very need in rush hours like around the parade,
because much poeple need water NOW!,
but all other times i personaly feel better if i had filled the cup by myself or know its fresh filled.

A valid point and an opinion shared by many, so I feel I should share my observations on this:

I was personally also afraid I would waste a lot of drinks and cups by pouring too many cups at once. However, I only had to throw out a very small amount of cups (10-20, maybe?) that stood there and were never used out of the many hundreds that I filled and put down. To put that in perspective, I probably threw out more water (etc.) from half-drank cups that were littering all over the place, so overall I'd say that's not too shabby. Seeing as at certain points in time the filled cups literally disappeared faster than I could replace them, then minutes later newly poured cups just stood there and weren't taken for 2 hours or longer, it is extremely hard for me to guess when to add more filled cups. The best I can do is pour more cups of whatever is taken more of (Eurofurence Green) than what is more often ignored (non-ice water, closely followed by iced water) and see what happens. I just know that as long as I receive more "thank you"'s than I have to throw out cups nobody touches, I'll continue doing this. =)

In case anyone is still wondering: it is not mandatory to use the filled cups, or to use the single clean cups I placed on the table upside down for pouring your own drink. You can always grab a cup from a roll and pour a drink yourself. The filled cups are merely there as an extra service, mainly for those in a rush and those who have trouble pouring their own cups with furpaws on. Oh, and if you happen to see me around while in fursuit and want another drink, I will gladly refill a cup you already have to cut down on used cups. Never be afraid to ask - the staff is there to help, and unless you ask them, they won't bite (hard)!

Chi-Yu

« Reply #43 on: 06.09.2012, 18:55:18 »

If you didn't notice (which is nothing to be ashamed of, as it wasn't announced or written down anywhere), any good tips on how to improve this? Keep in mind, we don't want heads to roll during the opening ceremonies again next year, and it's not of big importance, so announcing it there is not really an option. And I am also not sure if making a sign would work: if you walk straight past 30 cups filled with bright green, would you read some text? =3
Text? This is the furry fandom. We have tons of artists. Let someone draw a picture which says more than 1000 words.

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #44 on: 06.09.2012, 18:59:53 »

If you didn't notice (which is nothing to be ashamed of, as it wasn't announced or written down anywhere), any good tips on how to improve this? Keep in mind, we don't want heads to roll during the opening ceremonies again next year, and it's not of big importance, so announcing it there is not really an option. And I am also not sure if making a sign would work: if you walk straight past 30 cups filled with bright green, would you read some text? =3
Text? This is the furry fandom. We have tons of artists. Let someone draw a picture which says more than 1000 words.

... that's... actually not such a bad idea, really. I just need to know what should be in the picture(s). =D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up