Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: About Berlin...  (Read 19899 times)

Jorinda

• Press Relations
Re: About Berlin...
« Reply #15 on: 02.06.2014, 11:56:24 »

There is actually a piece of the Berlin wall on the very grounds of the hotel. :D

Really?! Thats actualy a part of history I will have to have a look at
Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about this.
It sure is very interesting, and something every visitor should see.
On the other hand, we'll probably end up with fursuiters happily posing with the piece of wall. Which does make me uncomfortable, as it is a symbol of past oppression, and people died at the Berlin wall.
I sure can't and won't stop anyone from taking all the pictures they like. But a group of fluffy rainbow plushy people posing with the wall might seem disrespectful.

(But maybe I'm just over-sensitive.)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 02.06.2014, 12:17:00 »

On the other hand, we'll probably end up with fursuiters happily posing with the piece of wall. Which does make me uncomfortable, as it is a symbol of past oppression, and people died at the Berlin wall.

It is also a symbol of libration, and the celebration of freedom. It really depends on how you look at it.

yours,

Cheetah

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #17 on: 02.06.2014, 12:58:29 »

It is also a symbol of libration, and the celebration of freedom. It really depends on how you look at it.
I agree. As I said, my thoughts on that might just be over-sensitive. Everyone has their own views on history and how to act with it, and I won't tell others what to think and do.  :)

mstrlitamacwolf

« Reply #18 on: 09.06.2014, 14:21:06 »

Im to arrive early just so i can see berlin. I want to eat, drink and see the best berlin has to show me.

Sambers

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #19 on: 09.06.2014, 16:25:12 »

I've been reading up on Berlin a little bit through blogs and such.
I also used Google maps to see what restaurants are around the hotel and there's quite a few, lots of different types of food as well :)

The blogs told me about things to do and see in Berlin and I found out that there are 'open air cinemas' in Berlin during the summer which might be a cool thing to visit if you like movies :) But be sure to go to OV (Original Version)  otherwise you might get a german dub ;P
There are also 'beach tents' scattered throughout the city which give you the feel of being at the beach, they have all sorts of drinks and lounge chairs for you to sit in while you enjoy some sun with the sand beneath your feet (Yeah, they actually have sand there, haha)
I also hear that a Biergarten is a very cool place to visit as a tourist, lots of different beers to taste and very nice food ^^

Lastly, Bus 100 drives you through Berlin and visits most of the big tourist places, so if you're interested in visiting that it'd be worth it buying a bus ticket :)
You can get a 1 day public transport ticket for €6,50 per day, but I'm not sure if this is only for the subway/trains or if it's valid on the busses as well? If one of the locals could give any further info on that I'd appreciate it ^^

Anyway, that's what little info I have but I felt like I should share ^^

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #20 on: 10.06.2014, 09:45:53 »

I also hear that a Biergarten is a very cool place to visit as a tourist, lots of different beers to taste and very nice food ^^
The Estrel has this: http://www.estrel.com/de/hotel/restaurants-bars/sommergarten.html
(They just mention a cocktail bar in the garden, but I'm sure they have beer, too.)

Jaryic

• Stage Director
« Reply #21 on: 03.07.2014, 15:29:18 »

Hi, I would like to recommend to visit the Pergamon Museum.
The museum houses three of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin’s collections:

It has some impressive reconstructions of massive archaeological structures:
  • the Pergamon Altar
  • Market Gate of Miletus
  • the Ishtar Gate and Processional Way from Babylon
  • and the Mshatta Facade

If you're interested I would especially recommend to go there this year since the hall containing the Pergamon Altar will close for restoration at the end of September 2014 and will remain closed to the public for five years, due for reopening in 2019.

Get more Info at the Pergamon Museum Webpage

If you are an artist, make sure to take your sketchbook and camera with you. :)

Enjoy Berlin!
-Jaryic
« Last Edit: 03.07.2014, 15:37:48 by Jaryic »
Only those that can see which is invisible can do the impossible.

Ziggy_wolf

• Hail Satan
« Reply #22 on: 06.08.2014, 20:21:30 »

A friend of mine told me there are jump-on tourbusses down there. Could I get some info on that if anybody knows.
I had nothing to do with either the three little pigs or little red riding hood. Honestly I`m a nice guy, who just happens to love pork, and hooded women. It was all a misunderstanding, I swear!

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #23 on: 06.08.2014, 21:25:12 »

A friend of mine told me there are jump-on tourbusses down there. Could I get some info on that if anybody knows.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but bus line 100 and a day ticket seems to be a good idea.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Akulatraxas

• Programming
« Reply #24 on: 07.08.2014, 00:04:07 »

Bus 100 is a good idea, there is even an Audio Guide.
Another real good thing is take the ship. Berlin is full of water and youll see alot from ship. The Hotel has even its "own" pier. You get the tickets from the Hotel Concierge.

charon

« Reply #25 on: 18.08.2014, 13:47:49 »

Well... sorry to comment so late, but as a professional in the tourist business, I guess I should.

Most important thing first:

Berlin is big. 892 square kilometer big. Use public transport, or rent a bike.

Tours:
Bus tours, Ok for a general overview.
Boat tours, avoid the piddly one hour inner city tours, unless you've got no time. General consensus is that the "Grosse Brückenfahrt" tours are best, but somewhat longish at three hours.
Walking Tours, too many to comment on. Usually somewhat limited in range.
Guided bike tours (rental included, if needed), recommended, especially Berlin on Bike, inside the Kulturbrauerei, close to Eberswalder Strasse station on subway line 2. Usually feature quite a few interesting "behind the scenes" locations.
Guided tours in a bicycle rikshaw, very recommended if pricey, but the driver usually can find a tour to fit your interests, or improvise one off the beaten paths. Alternatively, for groups of 4-6 people, tours on Conference Bikes, usually off Brandenburg Gate.

Sights:
TV tower, pricey and waiting times up to several hours. Not really recommended.
Kohlhoff tower at Potsdamer Platz, a lot cheaper, no waiting time, still a nice view.
Siegessäule inside Tiergarten park, great view, 285 steps up, though.
Zionskirche in Prenzlauer Berg district, accessible for a donation, good view.
Kreuzberg inside Viktoriapark, free, great view, inside the most beautiful "Gründerzeit" (early Wilhelminian era) Park of Berlin. Unfortunately, the waterfall is likely still offline. Bonus: walk down Methfesselstrasse for a memorial to the first computer manufactory of the world.
Radio Tower, good view, easy to get to via Ringbahn S4[12].

Museums:
Pergamon and Neues Museum on museum island. Naturkundemuseum at Invalidenstrasse east of Hauptbahnhof. Ramones Museum at Krausnickstrasse, near the new synagoge. Hanfmuseum at Mühlendamm, Nikolai quarter.

Eat:
Berlin is a city with a lot of fast food culture. Most Berliners don't include McDonalds/Burger King & Co. in the "culture" part though.
Curry 36, Habibi's at subway station Mehringdamm, lines 6,7.
Small pancake/potato fritter stand aside the big department store on Hermannplatz, subway lines 7,8.

Borchardt, Französische Strasse (suit not needed, but fursuit not recommended, reserve on weekend evenings)

Zoos:
Berlin Zoo, near Zoo station: recommended on weekdays (but often overly full on weekends).
Tierpark, near Tierpark Station, subway line 5: a lot more space here, also recommended on weekends.

HTH
« Last Edit: 18.08.2014, 23:26:29 by charon »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up