Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: About Berlin...  (Read 19889 times)

Jorinda

• Press Relations
About Berlin...
« on: 27.01.2014, 15:00:18 »

New town, new things to discover. Therefore, let's collect some information.

- Places one should visit? (Apart from the standard stuff that's mentioned in travel guides)
- Does anyone know good restaurants near the Estrel?

- Any places one should avoid? (You know, every town has those few streets where you wouldn't want to go...)

- Especially for the fursuiters: Great places for photos? Any places where one should not go in fursuit (apart from common sense stuff like banks)? For example, is it legal to wear a face-covering mask near the government buildings or embassies?

My recommendation: If you want a nice view over Berlin, go to the Funkturm. Tickets are 5 €.
The Fernsehturm is more famous, but entrance costs 12.50€.

RedFoxy

• RedFoxy.it - Home of fox
Re: About Berlin...
« Reply #1 on: 27.01.2014, 19:03:52 »

whoa! Really cool!  :o

FinnOWolf

« Reply #2 on: 27.01.2014, 19:10:01 »

Interesting.  :) I am also curious to know places those are worth visiting.

VulpesRex

« Reply #3 on: 28.01.2014, 08:54:58 »

Wait - If I read that Wikipedia entry about the Funkterm right,... then the City of Berlin was founded 777 years ago, this year?!?

Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Sambers

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #4 on: 28.01.2014, 22:21:03 »

I would guess the Berlin Wall would be a must-see, as well as Hitler's bunker :)

I am a total novice when it comes to Berlin though, it will be my first time visiting but this is what I've heard from other people/blogs that I've read.

Definately planning on seeing the Wall when I am there for EF though ^^

KyuubiSaoirse

• Rawr!
    • My fA
« Reply #5 on: 28.01.2014, 22:51:36 »

If you like to shop; Alexanderplatz. There are really great stores there, and on the streets connected to it :D

kalaallitamaroq

• Fursuit support
« Reply #6 on: 29.01.2014, 22:23:22 »

Sambers: the Berlin wall was dismantled 25 years ago :) there are still some small pieces here and there, kept for historical value, some are even still in Berlin (e.g. two pieces are actually here in Paris, see a complete list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Berlin_Wall_segments (yay for Kiwipedia having articles about EVERYTHING))

Personally, I'll try to go on the Fernsehturm in Alexanderplatz.
The Brandenburg Gate is also surely interesting to see, and Unter den Lindeln, and Checkpoint Charlie in Friedrichstraße!

Dhary Montecore

« Reply #7 on: 30.01.2014, 00:12:01 »

There is actually a piece of the Berlin wall on the very grounds of the hotel. :D

And regarding the city, there are quite a few nice spots for sight-seeing and photos. Just two words of caution: please be aware that Berlin is the capital of Germany and the area around the Brandenburg gate is a government/embassy area. In that part of the city armed guards from many different countries are present and the police is very sensitive there. On top of that you are not allowed to take photos of some buildings there - I myself have once been told off for taking a picture of an armed guard there. If you go fursuiting there, please be considerate in what you do and if in doubt, stop and take off your head – hiding your face, even in a fursuit, might make some people there jumpy. That said, almost anyone there speaks English, so quickly asking if you could take a photo should work just fine. :)

Second: Berlin is wonderful city of many cultures. Everything you can think of can be found there and most people will be very tolerant. However, Berlin is also a huge city with more than 3.5 million citizens and more than 10(!) million tourists from all around the world every year. While this is the perfect home for a community as open and outgoing as us, some of those people will not be as tolerant or friendly as the majority. Some might take offence to our way to party or fursuiting for many reasons, not limited to conservative opinions or religious beliefs. We expect Berlin to welcome us as a new, colourful and fun asset to the city, but please keep in mind that such a enormous metropolis might have areas where our ways are not welcome. Just like any other major city, please keep these words in mind when you roam this great place. :)
« Last Edit: 30.01.2014, 00:15:31 by Dhary Montecore »

Rattie

« Reply #8 on: 11.02.2014, 18:05:01 »

How about Tirgarten? It seems like a really nice place to fursuit and pose for photos.

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #9 on: 12.02.2014, 10:09:51 »

How about Tiergarten? It seems like a really nice place to fursuit and pose for photos.
It is really nice.
As Dhary already mentioned - be careful when fursuiting near the government buildings.

More photo opportunities at the Tiergarten would be the Brandenburg Gate, the Bellevue Palace and the Victory Column.

Rattie

« Reply #10 on: 12.02.2014, 13:10:54 »

Some might take offence to our way to party or fursuiting for many reasons, not limited to conservative opinions or religious beliefs.
If there are placed we shouldn't go fursuiting under any circumstances, could they be marked on a map? Including 'risky' areas where extra concerns/care needs to be considered, like around government buildings?

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 12.02.2014, 13:26:00 »

Some might take offence to our way to party or fursuiting for many reasons, not limited to conservative opinions or religious beliefs.
If there are placed we shouldn't go fursuiting under any circumstances, could they be marked on a map? Including 'risky' areas where extra concerns/care needs to be considered, like around government buildings?

We are talking about a 800 square kilometer metropolitain area. There is no way we can provide a detailed map, nor do we want to. Outside the hotel, everybody is an adult, responsible human being. We're not going to make ourselves responsible for anybody's safety outside of the little space that is actually under our control :)

I would suggest googling for public sources, and then make up your mind, and use your own judgement. A quick search found, for example, this:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Germany/Land_Berlin/Berlin-75302/Warnings_or_Dangers-Berlin-TG-C-1.html

But I'm sure there are more sources, and they might show different opinions.
yours,

Cheetah

Silwer

« Reply #12 on: 14.03.2014, 22:13:46 »

There is actually a piece of the Berlin wall on the very grounds of the hotel. :D

Really?! Thats actualy a part of history I will have to have a look at

A. Rakiri

« Reply #13 on: 30.04.2014, 22:35:20 »

Well on what i've seen on the map near the Estrel, there are many Turkish resturants and kebab shops in Berlin.

I think i might be very poplular in Berlin if the Turks see me in my fursuit and it could help kick start the Furry Fandom (Proper) in my home country :D

Plus a Turkish newspaper was in Magdeburg last year observing the fursuit parade, it might get bigger coverage this time by Turkish TV!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 01.05.2014, 00:03:38 »

I think i might be very poplular in Berlin if the Turks see me in my fursuit and it could help kick start the Furry Fandom (Proper) in my home country :D

Hmm... they're immigrants often living isolated from their home country for up to three generations - so you're dealing with people who have a very weird contradictory mixture of modern german (youth) culture and 1950's turkish conservative religious and family ideals - and the majority tends to be viciously homophobic. Which is a problem if you're dealing with furries ... so, unless you have the luck to bump into the upperclass, intellectual individuals, don't expect too much love from your fellow (ex)countrymen.

« Last Edit: 01.05.2014, 00:06:19 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up