Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you miss Magdeburg already?  (Read 37429 times)

Ralesk

Re: Do you miss Magdeburg already?
« Reply #15 on: 04.05.2014, 12:06:20 »

...SO why change? Ain't it like: Never change a winning team? WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!

Simple as that, Magdeburg got smaller and smaller for the ever-growing con.  Surely wouldn't have been possible to fit the upcoming EF 20's amount of folks there, though of course it's likely that so many people wouldn't have registered, had we stayed.

Berlin will be good for a few years at least — we'll get to like them just like every other spot; and they'll surely enjoy the mayhem we bring :)  Eventually.
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 04.05.2014, 12:12:48 »

Not only did we end up liking the city ... the people of Magdeburg actually began to like US!

...SO why change? Ain't it like: Never change a winning team?

But we're not changing the winning team. We're just playing in a different stadium this year.

« Last Edit: 04.05.2014, 13:53:42 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Zephyr

• ♔ Zephyr's FA
« Reply #17 on: 05.05.2014, 00:22:29 »

I'd say a change is good, I'm sure many people have fond memories of Madgeburg.

VulpesRex

« Reply #18 on: 05.05.2014, 10:17:28 »

Not only did we end up liking the city ... the people of Magdeburg actually began to like US!

...SO why change? Ain't it like: Never change a winning team? WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!

I think because we were splitting the venue at the seams!

I tried to register immediately when registration was open (I was at a convention in San Jose, California, and it was mid-morning-ish there); started the process from the beginning, finished it within the first quarter-hour...and still couldn't get a room at the Maritim Hotel.

The InterCityHotel was great; the room-rate with the included breakfast buffet was very attractive (and it was a good breakfast, too!), and the proximity to the con was good for staying up until all hours, and walking back to my nice, "quiet" hotel room inside of 6 minutes.  But having a place for the extra bodies to sleep only highlighted the problem of space for all those extra bodies during the day.  Even with people filling the event rooms and the art show and the dealers' den, the lobby was still a sea of people, many standing because there were no more places for them to sit or perch...despite all the floorspace in that nice, open, airy lobby.

Result: EF staff felt the need to find a bigger place (I remember reading that it was an extended, ongoing search effort), and the planets aligned to provide us with the Estrel.
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #19 on: 09.05.2014, 15:49:31 »

I think because we were splitting the venue at the seams!

I tried to register immediately when registration was open (I was at a convention in San Jose, California, and it was mid-morning-ish there); started the process from the beginning, finished it within the first quarter-hour...and still couldn't get a room at the Maritim Hotel.

The InterCityHotel was great; the room-rate with the included breakfast buffet was very attractive (and it was a good breakfast, too!), and the proximity to the con was good for staying up until all hours, and walking back to my nice, "quiet" hotel room inside of 6 minutes.  But having a place for the extra bodies to sleep only highlighted the problem of space for all those extra bodies during the day.  Even with people filling the event rooms and the art show and the dealers' den, the lobby was still a sea of people, many standing because there were no more places for them to sit or perch...despite all the floorspace in that nice, open, airy lobby.

Result: EF staff felt the need to find a bigger place (I remember reading that it was an extended, ongoing search effort), and the planets aligned to provide us with the Estrel.
Maybe you have a point there... haven't thought about that one.  m(
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #20 on: 09.05.2014, 17:05:12 »

I won't know if I miss the old place until I see if the new one is better.
More is more.

Rattie

« Reply #21 on: 07.06.2014, 13:20:39 »

I won't know if I miss the old place until I see if the new one is better.
I tend to think I suffer (slightly) from fear of starting all over over. I know what we had, but I don't know what the new place will bring. And the rumors about the neighborhood is too casting its shadows. But then again; it is all fear, and has no rational thought to back it up, what so ever.
My hopes is ofcourse, that we will like it just as much, if not better, than the place we left.

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #22 on: 07.06.2014, 18:16:03 »

Fear of change is very popular among furrys, but this is a good change.

We need more space its a fact, that way nobody will be excluded and friends won't be taken apart.

And you can be sure that the team who decides about the new venue really knows that it does.

I was there a few times and i like the neighborhood. Its a more quiet part of Berlin, mostly flats and houses.
We never had any big incidents with the people of Magdeburg and the people in Berlin are known for being very open minded towards new things.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #23 on: 10.06.2014, 18:55:49 »

The first year in any new hotel with an event is always something that will have things go wrong. As much as people everywhere think they have warned them the old saying 'you have to see it to believe it' holds true. As long as people are realistic in their expectations things won't be all that bad.

Plus, there's always the fun of a hotel staff seeing hundreds of suits for the first time. They might have seen pictures and maybe met a few demonstrators. But hundreds of suiters at ones? It's an experience they won't forget.
More is more.

Lumo

• KittyFox
« Reply #24 on: 26.06.2014, 19:01:29 »

I miss Suhl to be honest. So far the best EF hotel i have been to, and way better then magdeburg. The new hotel we are going to now have potential, so i have my hopes up ^^
Magreburg was not good the first year, the second year it was better and third year was good. :3 On Suhl they was totally amazing, and we even got free Beer for all from the nicest guy ever. And i mean everyone at the con got it :3

Berlin have the space for big bbq's like suhl had, and from experience Berlin is a good town. The only thing i miss with the hotel is a pool :P But we should be able to live without it ^^
I have a feeling Berlin will be very good, and not just grow on us but might be very good from the beginning.
Miff Miff <3

Drift

• Art Show
« Reply #25 on: 27.06.2014, 11:58:59 »

The sourroundings of the Ringberg Hotel was really nice, and the Staff super friendly, I agree on that.
But it was a bummer if you had to stay at an overflow location or if you wanted to go shopping. There was no public transport appart from the shuttle buses, so you had to plan and arrange your trips more carefully, whereas in Magdeburg you were able to reach everything in walking distance whenever you wanted - I quite liked that.

Santa fox

« Reply #26 on: 28.06.2014, 02:41:50 »

I do miss Magdeburg, if not for the fact that we had Kaufland, with the numerous of Currywurst stations nearby, but because of the extremly nice bar staff, especially Stefan, and hotel personnel in general; And the fact that anything you wanted; Anything, was nearby. Historical sites? You got it. Supermarket? Right across the street. Central location? Yes, that too. Cheap bar nextdoor as well as restaurants? Yup.

Hopefully Berlin will be able to, at least, supply a few of these; I would never argue against the choice of hotel as I can certainly understand the need to expand, though, I will always have my fond memories of the Maritime hotel and it's staff; And the surrounding areas.

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #27 on: 28.06.2014, 11:00:41 »

I do miss Magdeburg, if not for the fact that we had Kaufland, with the numerous of Currywurst stations nearby, but because of the extremly nice bar staff, especially Stefan, and hotel personnel in general; And the fact that anything you wanted; Anything, was nearby. Historical sites? You got it. Supermarket? Right across the street. Central location? Yes, that too. Cheap bar nextdoor as well as restaurants? Yup.

Hopefully Berlin will be able to, at least, supply a few of these;
Currywurst? Definitely.
Supermarkets? I read that there is one right next to the hotel. (If anyone who knows the site can confirm that?)
Historical sites? For sure.
Central? Well, not in the middle of Berlin, but the public transport system is good.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #28 on: 28.06.2014, 11:57:20 »

Supermarkets? I read that there is one right next to the hotel. (If anyone who knows the site can confirm that?)

There's an E(deka)-Reichelt and an Aldi across the Sonnenallee.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Langohr

« Reply #29 on: 28.06.2014, 21:41:17 »

Historical sites? For sure.

Like this one?   ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up