Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing your bed  (Read 24213 times)

K9Primate

Sharing your bed
« on: 17.09.2007, 21:35:59 »

To be  completely specific about it: Neither of us are gay. We are both heterosexual males from an Anglo-American culture. We do not want to kiss each other, suck each other off, or stick our dicks up each other's backsides, or wake up in the morning touching each other. This opinion is so widely shared where we come from that any 'holiday company' that made us share a bed would be breaking the law.

Pardon me but being intimate with someone of the same gender does not automatically have to mean that you're gay.
The fact that a lot of straight man feel so awkward about it has a lot to do with social stigmas; at least that's what I believe.
Personally I do not want to get caught up adhering to anybody's norm, enjoy your life while you can. ;)

JMHO

Furcode: FCM3df A--- C+ D H+ M- P+ R+ T+ W--- Z Sm RLAT a++ c e f- h* i+ j* p- sm+

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Sharing your bed
« Reply #1 on: 18.09.2007, 01:03:35 »

And, even more important, sharing a king-size double bed (with separate blankets and cushions) does not mean any bodily contact at all.
yours,

Cheetah

TheSonicGod

« Reply #2 on: 18.09.2007, 07:12:25 »

This day and age, you do whatever you can to save money. That's all there is to it.

achtnull

« Reply #3 on: 18.09.2007, 14:45:25 »

I'd avoided this thread, but I have a couple things I'd like to add...

First off, on the comment "these days, you do whatever you can to save money," please realize that doesn't apply to everyone.  There are people (like myself) who put EF in their yearly budget, so (a) aren't going into debt just to go and (b) intend to splurge a bit, as it IS my big annual vacation.  No, I don't want to throw money away, but I will spend a bit more to be comfortable.

... Which leads to the second point.  I (for example) will not share a bed with a stranger.   Period.  I don't care how big it is, etc, I just won't do it.  To add to that, even with most friends, I am not comfortable sharing a bed.  That's the culture I grew up with, and that's my comfort level.

The US is often accused (rightfully) of ignoring others' cultures.  To look at someone who says "look, I'm not comfortable with this" and say "get over it" is to ignore their culture as much as we are guilty of over here.  If you grow up in a society where that just isn't done, telling someone to get over it just doesn't work. 

To tie those together, I will personally go so far as buying two memberships if that's what it takes to get a guarantee of a bed to myself.  Now I know you you don't have to go so far, but I know I am not the only one who feels that way.  I don't envy the EF staff having to do all the bed assignments, but perhaps you can add a checkbox to request a double-bed room.  If you are worried that everyone will check it, defeating the purpose, add a €10 or so surcharge for it.

As EF becomes more "multi-cultural" with non-Europeans growing more common, I suspect some of the US's (and others) prudish issues will come into play.  Yes, I know I'm no longer over here.  That still doesn't mean I can change my personal comfort level as I ride the plane out.
-- Aeto

CJ

• Pawpeteer
  • Pawpet Show
    • Bear's hub
« Reply #4 on: 18.09.2007, 15:52:13 »

To tie those together, I will personally go so far as buying two memberships if that's what it takes to get a guarantee of a bed to myself.  Now I know you you don't have to go so far, but I know I am not the only one who feels that way.  I don't envy the EF staff having to do all the bed assignments, but perhaps you can add a checkbox to request a double-bed room.  If you are worried that everyone will check it, defeating the purpose, add a €10 or so surcharge for it.

This year, you already had the ability to chose a single room assignment (for a higher charge of course).

CU
CJ

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 18.09.2007, 15:54:00 »

As I wrote earlier: If people just tell us a few weeks before the con, we will arrange the right type of room. No problem. We just can't make it a general booking option for several annoying technical reasons.

yours,

Cheetah

Kixt

« Reply #6 on: 19.09.2007, 15:58:44 »

Why sleep in a bed when you can easility take with a you asleeping-bag? :x..

Well I myself have nothing against sharing a bed with another guy or anything, but it would be a bit...weird if it was a compeltely stranger however, but as long as he kept his greedy paws off me, I'd be okay with it. :p

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #7 on: 19.09.2007, 20:05:10 »

but it would be a bit...weird if it was a compeltely stranger however
just to remind people you can choose with who you want to share a room by setting his number in the registration page. If you find yourself with a stranger, its because:
1) you are lazzy and didnt look for someone
2) you got a place because someone else signed out (and you wont complaint because at least you can be there at all, like me, beside it gave me the opportunity to meet a very nice person ^_^)

JonathanO

« Reply #8 on: 19.09.2007, 20:18:49 »

but it would be a bit...weird if it was a compeltely stranger however
just to remind people you can choose with who you want to share a room by setting his number in the registration page. If you find yourself with a stranger, its because:
1) you are lazzy and didnt look for someone
2) you got a place because someone else signed out (and you wont complaint because at least you can be there at all, like me, beside it gave me the opportunity to meet a very nice person ^_^)

yea i also meet a furry

K9Primate

« Reply #9 on: 19.09.2007, 22:54:55 »

Well maybe I'm too frivolous, ::) despite the fact I wasn't brought up this way.
In my actions I'm not out to purposely provoke anyone though, and I except that others can have a different opinion.
I suppose it must be equally as hard for both to understand the other persons point of view. ???
But it's quite interesting to see how each one deals with these issues.
Furcode: FCM3df A--- C+ D H+ M- P+ R+ T+ W--- Z Sm RLAT a++ c e f- h* i+ j* p- sm+

TheSonicGod

« Reply #10 on: 23.09.2007, 06:17:23 »

I'd avoided this thread, but I have a couple things I'd like to add...

First off, on the comment "these days, you do whatever you can to save money," please realize that doesn't apply to everyone.  There are people (like myself) who put EF in their yearly budget, so (a) aren't going into debt just to go and (b) intend to splurge a bit, as it IS my big annual vacation.  No, I don't want to throw money away, but I will spend a bit more to be comfortable.

... Which leads to the second point.  I (for example) will not share a bed with a stranger.   Period.  I don't care how big it is, etc, I just won't do it.  To add to that, even with most friends, I am not comfortable sharing a bed.  That's the culture I grew up with, and that's my comfort level.

The US is often accused (rightfully) of ignoring others' cultures.  To look at someone who says "look, I'm not comfortable with this" and say "get over it" is to ignore their culture as much as we are guilty of over here.  If you grow up in a society where that just isn't done, telling someone to get over it just doesn't work. 

As EF becomes more "multi-cultural" with non-Europeans growing more common, I suspect some of the US's (and others) prudish issues will come into play.  Yes, I know I'm no longer over here.  That still doesn't mean I can change my personal comfort level as I ride the plane out.

Well... I wasn't implying everyone... sorry if it came out that way. Now, if I had miscalculated my budget and found out that I needed to share a bed with a roommate, preferably I would choose someone I knew quite well... or ask to sleep on the floor.

Some hotel's chairs/sofas can expand into another bed. Investigate your room. I found out that a cheap Days Inn has a hidden sofabed. ^^

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #11 on: 24.09.2007, 06:33:54 »

Well... I wasn't implying everyone... sorry if it came out that way. Now, if I had miscalculated my budget and found out that I needed to share a bed with a roommate, preferably I would choose someone I knew quite well... or ask to sleep on the floor.

Some hotel's chairs/sofas can expand into another bed. Investigate your room. I found out that a cheap Days Inn has a hidden sofabed. ^^

But, you must remember that European hotel rooms are usually much smaller then American hotel rooms.

Recherei

« Reply #12 on: 24.09.2007, 14:45:24 »

But, you must remember that European hotel rooms are usually much smaller then American hotel rooms.

Also, most European hotels, unlike those in the US, take a dim view of extra persons staying in your room.

TheSonicGod

« Reply #13 on: 25.09.2007, 06:40:42 »

As was made aware to me by Ms. Samantha Brown, who has stayed in many European hotels.

So, should bed-sharing be more of an emergency situation, or what?

Recherei

« Reply #14 on: 25.09.2007, 15:52:03 »

As was made aware to me by Ms. Samantha Brown, who has stayed in many European hotels.

So, should bed-sharing be more of an emergency situation, or what?

The only problem with that is, if you allow it in an emergency, you will have numerous emergencies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up