Eurofurence Information > Feedback

EF24 Pawpet show

<< < (4/6) > >>

Cheetah:

--- Quote from: Sheena-Tiger on 29.08.2018, 12:30:28 ---For me, it felt, as if there were fewer of these little snippets of extra story.

--- End quote ---

You're right. And the reason is simple: We ran out of time. We wanted to do more :)

And we also noticed the increase in scene setting times, and are unhappy with it. We're analyzing what exactly caused it. Everything points at the space suits to be super time-consuming to put on and take off, but we want to improve those times and return to Pre-EF23 setup times (ideally 5 minutes or below.)

--- Quote ---It was for me hardly evident, mostly thanks to the cryo-pods, that the travel times within the solar system were rather slow... it was explained though, in the "PPS Production Updates" ... so these could be a perfect explanation for why a wound was healed between 2 scenes, because they were so far apart and the modern medicine could accelerate the healing properly, since it was "just a flesh wound"

--- End quote ---

If you're referring to Link getting shot ... that's actually a leftover from an earlier revision of the story that was scrapped. So you caught a classic continuity error :)

(To my defense, I did write a scene change audio segment explaining how fast compared to today, but how slow in general space travel still is :) Lyra explains it to her diary.)

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Cheetah:
(Transplanting my PPS related answer from the other (locked) thread)

--- Quote from: Kulze on 03.09.2018, 02:44:16 ---Just Cheetah needs to allow other ideas then his own to be done. One good way to achieve this would be a little price-event, drafts are sent in after the topic for the next con is revealed and the best draft wins a little price... and becomes next years paw-pet-show. It would keep the quality of the show up sky-high, as well as solve those problems with clear overworking and time limitations for thinking up new stories over and over again.
--- End quote ---

Actually, thinking up new stories over and over again makes you better at this :)

One of the reasons this show works is that we have the luxury of writing a story around the physical and timely constraints that are in our way, and create roles that exactly match the abilities of the actors in the team. We have to crank out a complete script that works within 5 months of weekend sessions, and then develop the play within 4 rehearsals. It takes a lot of experience to make that work.

If someone sent me a draft of sky-high quality, I would totally consider working on it.

But there's no guarantee a contributed script would be any better than what we do. Also, working with submitted scripts is a lot ... and I mean A LOT more difficult than it sounds. Also for the contributor. They'd have to be prepared to be rejected, and their work to be revised and rewritten, for example. Or live with the fact that a completely well written story could be unfavorable to the volunteers who'll have to play it for whatever reason.

People tend to jump on such an opportunity with a lot of unrealistic expectations, which is why I wouldn't want to make a contest that makes any promises in advance, for example.

Yeah, it's complicated :)

Cifer:

--- Quote ---If you're referring to Link getting shot ... that's actually a leftover from an earlier revision of the story that was scrapped. So you caught a classic continuity error :)
--- End quote ---
Just out of curiosity: Do you hand the finished script to someone who is not at all linked to its production to read over? That may help to catch stuff like that, but of course, you probably already do that.

--- Quote from: Cheetah on 04.09.2018, 10:29:32 ---(To my defense, I did write a scene change audio segment explaining how fast compared to today, but how slow in general space travel still is :) Lyra explains it to her diary.)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I caught that one. To me, it said "We have no idea of scale, you have no idea of scale, let's settle for 'not immediately, but not a year later either'", which worked perfectly for the scene: It didn't try to go into unnecessary technobabbly detail, but it established the points we needed to know about.

By the way: Link being in a wheelchair (okay, a wheelchair IN SPACE!) was a nice touch of diversity. I liked it.

Eisfuchs:

--- Quote from: Cifer on 04.09.2018, 10:38:38 ---
--- Quote ---If you're referring to Link getting shot ... that's actually a leftover from an earlier revision of the story that was scrapped. So you caught a classic continuity error :)
--- End quote ---
Just out of curiosity: Do you hand the finished script to someone who is not at all linked to its production to read over? That may help to catch stuff like that, but of course, you probably already do that.
--- End quote ---

We have two editors that look at the script to improve the dialogue and point out flaws. I don't see Link being shot and then fine again as a big issue, however, as the time between them leaving Link's station and then entering Earth's orbit must have been weeks.

Of course, we could have explained this in the scene, but that would have made an already long show even longer, so we opted for the intermission that explained long travel times instead.

Eisfuchs:

--- Quote from: Kulze on 28.08.2018, 13:31:48 ---This years Pawpet was one of the 'weak' ones in my eyes sadly, and it could've been easily remedied.

--- End quote ---
That's easy to say. Come and join the team, make it happen :-)

--- Quote ---- One puppeteer was visible fairly often, it seemed like there wasn't put as much care for staying hidden as usual.
--- End quote ---
I wonder how you identified one specific puppeteer. For me it was hard to tell people apart behind the stage, they all looked like black men with masks :-D

--- Quote ---- This year the spoken lines were rather clear, it was easy to understand every character without problems, definitely a huge plus as we had other years as well :)
- Lighting and special effects, as well as the ideas behind those were really nice done.

--- End quote ---
Thank you!

--- Quote ---As a second one, the Stillwaters had a very unbelievable and odd personality. Why would such lovely people start to sell weapons in the first place? They didn't seem like hard business-persons, it didn't fit them.
--- End quote ---
The Stillwaters are a Military family. Meredith later left the Military to move into the arms industry, to make sure Earth was able to protect itself against any outside threat, should it arise at some point. She never imagined that one of her products actually was going to be used against Earth itself.

--- Quote ---Another one which was fairly noticeable was Link Kabanshee getting shot without ever having even a minor impact on the play, back at the ship he was... fine, just like that. Bringing him into the hospital because of a shot-wound and snatching the data during that time would've made more sense then pushing a huge ice-cone into his rump - even if it was a fun one :)
--- End quote ---
Explained by the long time it takes to travel. Getting him to a hospital after being shot would be weeks too late. We imagine that in this age of technology, the ship is equipped with a way to treat wounds efficiently, since the crew probably spends months on the ship without access to medical facilities.

--- Quote ---All in all for the story, it seemed like nobody even put up the time to proof-read it for plot holes, or people became tired after a while and simply said 'fuck it' sadly. Since the problems were such fundamental ones it seemed like this for me.
--- End quote ---
Not sure if these problems were really fundamental or just not explained well enough by us.

Thank you for your feedback!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version