Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the EF hotel accept the American credit cards or not?  (Read 17211 times)

BradHound

Just curious....I'll go to EF next week so I ask you all a question: Will the EF hotel accept some American credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) or not?  :P

If yes, let me know!

Thanks!
BradHound (my first EF!)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
Re: Will the EF hotel accept the American credit cards or not?
« Reply #1 on: 19.08.2008, 13:53:22 »

I'm sure they'll reject them. After all, isn't the ability of being able to pay nowhere one of the main selling points of the international credit card networks?  ::)
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #2 on: 19.08.2008, 14:01:55 »

Just curious....I'll go to EF next week so I ask you all a question: Will the EF hotel accept some American credit cards (Visa and Mastercard) or not?  :P

Serious answer: yes, they do. If I remember correctly, they accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Maestro Debit.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Recherei

« Reply #3 on: 19.08.2008, 14:40:18 »

The only card that is rarely accepted outside the US is Discover.

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #4 on: 19.08.2008, 14:58:21 »

American Express is not very common too. Most shops here have just Visa and Mastercard.
Both of these usually without PIN because the banks get nothing but risks by offering it to dealers
and thus dealers have to pay extra for it.
Fursuiter (2 Suits).
Dealer (YiffyToys.de and YiffyToys.us)

Kisu

• Mr Panther
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 19.08.2008, 16:48:51 »

Visa and Visa electron works fine =^^=
The name 'leopard' may derive from an old notion that leopards were the result of crosses between lions (leo) and panthers (pard).

SouthPaw

« Reply #6 on: 19.08.2008, 23:56:14 »

American Express is not very common too.

Ditto Diners Club, given that Amex and Diners charge merchants somewhere in the region of 7% per transaction, regardless of their sales volume.

Most shops here have just Visa and Mastercard. Both of these usually without PIN because the banks get nothing but risks by offering it to dealers and thus dealers have to pay extra for it.

Hrm...How odd...Here in the UK, Chip and PIN has reduced merchant fees to companies offering it (except for Amex and Diners Club, of course), as the liability for fraudulent use shifts from the merchant to the cardholder if the transaction is authorised by PIN.

Cheers,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #7 on: 20.08.2008, 08:28:37 »

Hrm...How odd...Here in the UK, Chip and PIN has reduced merchant fees to companies offering it (except for Amex and Diners Club, of course), as the liability for fraudulent use shifts from the merchant to the cardholder if the transaction is authorised by PIN.
Cheers,
Southie

It also stuck me as odd but that's what the clearing-houses for credit-cards over here offer me.
I am regularly looking around for better contract-terms for my card-acceptance at YiffyToys.de but so far the PIN costs extra. They also mean that I would get more security against fraud as a dealer but so far I never had such problems (wish me luck).
Fursuiter (2 Suits).
Dealer (YiffyToys.de and YiffyToys.us)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #8 on: 20.08.2008, 13:07:56 »

Chip and PIN in the UK must not be confused with other former legacy systems elsewhere. The German PIN system that evolved from the cheque guarantee cards of the Eurocheque system has been migrated to Maestro, but is completely seperated from MC/Visa transactions to the point that if you're being asked for your credit card PIN anywhere else than a cash machine, it's more likely to be a fraudulent seller than an actual POS transaction. :P

(Even the common ticket machines, which *have* a PIN pad for Maestro cards, do not ask for the credit card PIN, which means in practical application that you'll be able to purchase a ticket without actually signing anything, as long as you have the physical card. Dealing with the fraudulent chargebacks this method is calling for probably still is cheaper for them than asking for a credit card PIN.)
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #9 on: 20.08.2008, 13:18:22 »

What scares me though is that in some countries, the PIN itself isn't actually required for bank/maestro cards. So apparently the system itself does not require the PIN to be sent to the server for it to work. *shudder*
Join #eurofurs on anthrochat.net! Everyone is welcome!

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #10 on: 20.08.2008, 13:51:15 »

What scares me though is that in some countries, the PIN itself isn't actually required for bank/maestro cards. So apparently the system itself does not require the PIN to be sent to the server for it to work. *shudder*

I think the subtle differences between Maestro, Electronic Cash, EFT-POS, OLV, ELV and POZ might not only be slightly off topic here, but they'll also make the chairman's head explode at this stage.  ;D

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 20.08.2008, 16:17:22 »

I think the subtle differences between Maestro, Electronic Cash, EFT-POS, OLV, ELV and POZ might not only be slightly off topic here, but they'll also make the chairman's head explode at this stage.  ;D

Funny thing is ... I'm actually involved in getting the company I work for (yes! I do have a day job) certified for processing credit card data, so I might as well throw in some PCI-DSS, PDA-DSS, QSA, ADV and SAQ if you're in such dire need for more cryptic acronyms :)
yours,

Cheetah

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #12 on: 20.08.2008, 19:25:21 »

yes! I do have a day job
This must be a myth. With all the huge amounts of stuff you do for EF I can't believe you can squeeze in a day job anywhere between. You're sure you're not only employed in the winter saison? ;)

*purrr*

somewolf

« Reply #13 on: 20.08.2008, 20:23:45 »

i can top this!
i've a job and friends and a credit card as well  ..all at the same time  ..

sry fr off topic  /(

on topic:

so how much is the hotel able to deliver at once/at one day/at one withdraw  ?

just in case i need 'cash'  ... again

just
somewolf

CodeCat

• The Flying Dutchfur
« Reply #14 on: 20.08.2008, 21:59:27 »

Zefiro, don't forget Cheetahs can run really fast. :P
Join #eurofurs on anthrochat.net! Everyone is welcome!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up