Eurofurence Information > Feedback

Stairs and elevators...

<< < (2/6) > >>

Thygrrr:
All relevant doors were open all the time. Swiping cards (I absent-mindedly swiped a staircase door lock once) didn't do anything bad.

BluePaw:
shorter said. what i noted was, stairs near reception was open to both-ways no problems. stairs to the left of the back elevators towards, behind main stage entrance, allso open both ways no problems. BUT stairs to the right of the back elevators was NOT open for going upwards, only to get down. and nice and all with the über-ventilation from the mainstage stairs, but the soundlevels were dangerously high and needed protection for the ears to get past. but indeed a very nice idea! highly aprechiated air-condition^^

Cheetah:
It's correct, only the staircases on the left hand side (seen from the main entrance) were open in both directions. I agree we could have announced it more visibly. We'll do that next year.

By the way, the explanation for the loud noise and flow of air was that the AC was having a hard time keeping the temperature down in the atrium, so the house technician activated the "gas purge" system that is originally meant to keep the staircases smoke-free in case of a fire to assist the air circulation in the lobby area.

I agree it was loud, but the fursuiters loved it (there were alway quite a few flocking around the staircase entry), and you could do some fun stuff in there ... like let a balloon fly, and watch it circle down the staircase into the lobby without ever touching a wall :)

Tarangryph:

--- Quote from: krakendwaggin on 22.08.2011, 17:41:54 ---Yes, I was in a lift and someone was talking about if they pressed a button and another button it would go from your floor to your destination without stopping at the interim floors, I had to bite my tongue to prevent a outburst of rage, I really wanted to say "you selfish ****!"

Thankfully whilst within said lift he said it "sadly wasn't working anymore", too damn right!, shouldn't of been 'working' in the first place!
--- End quote ---

You should have said 'you selfish ****!' to that person! When people are being inconsiderate, don't just stand there and fume, talk to them, report them to security, make them understand they're making everybody else's con a lot less fun. It's the only way to improve the situation.

The direct-to-X-floor 'cheat' function is for cases of emergency when a team of firefighters or paramedics needs to get their (often heavy) equipment up to a certain floor or an injured person down without making unnecessary, time-consuming and potentially dangerous stops on the way. So the code has to be there for emergencies, but it shouldn't be abused as it clearly was in this case.

I also experienced fursuiters getting out at floor level and pressing all the floor buttons as they did. One meerkat was particularly bad at this; I didn't catch his name or I would have reported him to security! I was in a 'suit and HURTING, I needed to go to my room ASAP, and the idiot pressed all the floor buttons...  m( F*** YOU, MEERKAT! It wasn't cute or funny, it was annoying and I could have been seriously injured because of you!  >:(

I also had problems with the stairs, getting trapped in the one to the right of the back elevators. I never found out that there were open stairs to the left of them (it was my first convention and I was a little too overwhelmed to think of doing a thorough search for staircases). Maybe you can mark the stairs not only with whether they 'access-all-levels' or 'floor-level only', but also with arrows on the elevators pointing to them and suggesting people use them - I experienced several people going up only one floor - that's lazy! I lived on the 6th floor and 'suited every day, and I sometimes had to walk up because the elevators were too busy, one time in fursuit...

Another helpful service would be to mark the doors on the inside with what 'panel rooms' are on that floor; I kept getting confused about the different rooms and didn't know which floor to get out at.

So yeah, those were my complaints and suggestion; apart from the elevator idiocy, I had a wonderful first convention and I am definitely coming back next year! Also, I must admit to playing a little with the elevators myself; if you took the front glass elevators up in the evening and only narrowly escaped being attacked by a zombie, that was me... ;}

~Taran.

Wawik:
I dunno, never had any real problems with the lifts or stairs this time around, unlike last year.

Maybe if people would read...... signs? (which they don't  ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version