Eurofurence Information > Feedback

Balloons...

<< < (3/9) > >>

yagfox:
I have to say, I popped back to my room while the balloons were being bounced around in the Pawpet show queue, and it looked really, really cool from above! :)

I don't suspect suggesting adding balloons as a feature to the photoshoot would go down to well considering the angle of this thread! ;)

nifela:

--- Quote from: yagfox on 27.08.2011, 22:51:12 ---I don't suspect suggesting adding balloons as a feature to the photoshoot would go down to well considering the angle of this thread! ;)

--- End quote ---
Please, no more balloons. The thought of having to run around the entire hotel wearing earplugs and being in constant fear of popping balloons isn't very comforting.
I can tolerate it, if they are used sparingly (eg. only while waiting for the doors to open for the pawpet show) but please, no more than that. Its stressful for me personally already, since I always end up in rooms on higher floors and I'm afraid of heights (and partially elevators, especially when people start bouncing around in them).

BigBlueFox:

--- Quote from: nifelan on 27.08.2011, 23:01:37 ---
--- Quote from: yagfox on 27.08.2011, 22:51:12 ---I don't suspect suggesting adding balloons as a feature to the photoshoot would go down to well considering the angle of this thread! ;)

--- End quote ---
Please, no more balloons. The thought of having to run around the entire hotel wearing earplugs and being in constant fear of popping balloons isn't very comforting.
I can tolerate it, if they are used sparingly (eg. only while waiting for the doors to open for the pawpet show) but please, no more than that. Its stressful for me personally already, since I always end up in rooms on higher floors and I'm afraid of heights (and partially elevators, especially when people start bouncing around in them).

--- End quote ---

When I was a child, I used to be very afraid of balloons, too. Ask my parents, they still remembered my extreme reactions when balloons were around... It was close to a panic. At some point in my life, this irrational fear went away and I have no problems with them anymore, but I do understand anyone who has... It's going to be a difficult decision to make.

MartinRJ:

--- Quote from: doco on 27.08.2011, 18:58:33 ---I'm sorry, but at 1000+ participants it is practically impossible to take any individual's possible phobias into account.

Even if 10 persons felt offended (quite a high number), that would make 1% of attendees affected, and 99% unbothered.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with doco.

What if someone is allergic to fur fabric? Would we have to ban them too?

No. That goes a little bit too far.

As long as the hotel administration or staff does not object balloons, they are totally okay and fun for (almost) everyone!

Maybe you could talk to the staff next time in such a situation so they reserve you a seat while you can wait elsewhere for the beginning of the event?

nifela:

--- Quote from: MartinRJ on 28.08.2011, 02:09:56 ---
--- Quote from: doco on 27.08.2011, 18:58:33 ---I'm sorry, but at 1000+ participants it is practically impossible to take any individual's possible phobias into account.

Even if 10 persons felt offended (quite a high number), that would make 1% of attendees affected, and 99% unbothered.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with doco.

What if someone is allergic to fur fabric? Would we have to ban them too?

No. That goes a little bit too far.

As long as the hotel administration or staff does not object balloons, they are totally okay and fun for (almost) everyone!

Maybe you could talk to the staff next time in such a situation so they reserve you a seat while you can wait elsewhere for the beginning of the event?

--- End quote ---
Someone who would be allergic to fur fabric most likely would have a hard time going to a furry convention in the first place.
All we people suffering from this are asking is to keep the amount of balloons under control. They aren't an essential part of the fandom and being constantly subjected to the possibility of a balloon popping (or fireworks going off etc. - same problem and fear there) is producing a lot of stress for a group of people.

Completely dismissing this as irrelevant is hurtful, seeing how well this thread has progressed so far :(

I'm not asking for a complete ban on balloons or other items which cause sudden, unexpected and loud noises. All I'm personally asking for is to limit it to a sensible time as well as space. There really is no need to have balloons bouncing around in the main stage area or to have balloons constantly floating around in the lobby. The waiting time for the pawpet show wasn't comfortable for me but I was quick to pull out my earplugs (something which I can only recommend to anyone suffering from the same phobia - get a few sets of earplugs and carry at least one pair with you all the time) so it wasn't a constant, dreadful fear.
Needless to say, I didn't hear (or rather: understood) much other things, such as announcements (in the main stage area or from Kage).
Wearing earplugs during stage shows also wasn't an option, so whenever a balloon was bounced around in the seated crowd, I had a really hard time trying to relax and not constantly tensing up and being terribly afraid.

So please, take our viewpoint, our problems into account before arguing against us. It's stress- and hurtful to us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version